The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Sad News.. Jay Marshall (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mona Morrison
View Profile
New user
chicago area
26 Posts

Profile of Mona Morrison
I recieved a phone call a little while ago. Jay Marshall passed away this evening around 8:30 PM CDT When I get more information I will pass it on.
Mona
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
This is, indeed, sad news.

Jay was truly one-of-a-kind, and will be greatly missed.

Edward Hutchison
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Home Page: http://www.ERHutchison.com
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I just got email about this Smile
Man he was a funny guy.

His linking ring routine was awesome. I just wish I had the opportunity to see him in person.

May he rest in peace.
Logic Defied
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
MyMagic Headline News #77

Jay Marshall (August 29, 1919 - May 10, 2005) died on Tuesday at the
age of 85. Marshall was one of the most loved magicians,
ventriloquists, collectors, historians and characters in our field. He
is best remembered for the act with his gloved hand puppet Lefty that
often received standing ovations. It is impossible to list all or even
most of his accomplishments as he lived a very rich and fulfilling
life. He has won just about every honor and lifetime achievement award
given in our profession. He was a regular on the Ed Sullivan show and
was instrumental in supplying the show the many magicians it featured.
On Marshall's 80th birthday "Jay Marshall Day" was proclaimed in the
City of Chicago. At his passing he held the lifetime position of Dean
of the Society of American Magicians and was the owner of the once
premier magic company, Magic Inc. He will surely leave a void in our
profession.
--- Meir Yedid
Repectfully submitted
:( Keet
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4813 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Very sad indeed, a real magic icon that will be missed by all those who were fortunate enough to meet him. My thoughts and prayers will be with his family. Rest in peace Jay.
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
I had the privilege of meeting Jay several times and I echo the sentiments of the others. I have a young protégée who has an interest in puppetry. A year ago, I showed her a tape of Jay and Lefty. She had never heard of either of them. She was so taken by their performance that she started creating similar puppets and routines. Last summer she was in Brazil teaching 50 kids how to do sock puppets. She will be there again this year.

We will all miss him because he touched our hearts. He will remain in our memories because he touched our hearts. We were lucky to share him.

Rich
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Never had a chance to meet the man, I've only seen a little bit of his work. But I mourn his passing and my prayers are with his family and friends today.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
595 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Good Bye Jay.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Jay was a rarity. He told the story of the cuff links Frank Sinitra gave him at Collectors this year. Well, actually Frank threw them away and Jasper got them out of the wastebasket. Frank said he could have them. So Frank gave them to him.

He showed up at Canton for a for a convention but forgot his wardrobe. A quick shopping trip to a Goodwill show ended him with a very nice wool sport coat, and two other suits. Don't laugh. He sold me one of them a three piece for $4 (what he paid for it) and I wore it to a wedding that summer.

Only Jay. I think at Abbott's last summer was the last time he did Lefty. He forgot his so he borrowed the one Hank Moorehouse has. He also borrowed by cufflinks. He got a standing ovation and was never better. He just couldn't understand shy people made such a fuss over him.

I may not have known him as well as some but I was proud to call him a friend.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Why wait when I should start now.
A memior of Jay and Frances.

and Lefty and Righty.

and Jay's parents.

and so on and on.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mai_ling/186877.html
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Sanderella
View Profile
New user
Sandy Kaczmarski
1 Post

Profile of Sanderella
Muriel Marlo once told me of her husband Ed's disdain for performing. "Look at Jay Marshall," he said to her. "He talks to his hand!"

Jay never wanted anything written about him and said he only wanted to remain a memory.

That he will.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I had the great pleasure of meeting and spending time with Jay a few years ago when I lectured at Magic Inc. It will always remain one of the highlights of my life.Though aging and ailing, he was funny, warm and friednly, and I even got to see him do some "table crap" at the IHOP! The photo of him standing next to me is a cherished part of my scrapbook. He was the epitome of what an entertainer should be, and he will be sorely missed.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Jay went out in the style in which he lived, among the laughter and applause of his friends and family. Homilies and the like were given by Jim Marshall, Sandy Marshall, Aye Jaye, Don Wiberg, Abb Dickson and a slew of others whose names I don't have in front of me at this late hour. At the end, I had the honor, at a suggestion from my loving wife who also knew Jay, of asking the assemblage to rise and give Jay his last standing ovation, to send him to his well earned reward.

There will never be another like him. As Teller said - "He had the sass of a Groucho Marx and the class of a John Geilgud." No better summation could be made of this complex, caring and wonderfully giving man.

His son, paraphrasing his Dad's famous duet, closed the ceremonies by saying "If I had my way, Dad, you would never have died." Several sotto voce "hear-hear's" were heard throughout the room.

Goodbye, Jay. It was one helluva run!

Lee Darrow
The kid who came in all wide eyed 40 years ago this year and never stopped coming back...
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I posted a really long journal entry about
the weekend but if you scroll to the bottom
I wrote about the service.

With a few photos:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mai_ling/187363.html
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I tip my hat to a great performer. He will sorely missed!
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
A couple of more notes on Jay's funeral: The casket was closed and had two signs on it. One read:

"Lefty On Board" - He was.

The other read (and this was reportedly at Jay's request:

"This isn't the first time I've died!"

Sums him up pretty well, too, but, Jay always did believe in leaving 'em laughing!

Lee Darrow
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I saw his obit in TIME magazine. He once told me that his "investments" in the 60's gave him the ability to continue to keep his shop open. If in Chicago visiti Magic, Inc.

Great guy. Liked Teller's description.
Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Sad News.. Jay Marshall (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL