The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » producing life (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
It seems that the ultimate thing a
'bizzarrist' could do is to produce life. I have an idea for producing a primitive life form from primitive materials. In your hand you take a piece of ice, salt, and air. From them you produce a living tadpole.
The method is simple, but extremely effective. Not very practical for table hopping, but for publicity or a set show, you can't beat it. You can even add 'light' by handing someone a flashlight. Then combine all the ingrediants, make a fist around them and have them shine the light on your hand. Or hold it over a flame, then produce the tadpole.
What do you guys think?

Chad
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
That's always a good idea, to produce life (I have read a beautiful routine of an English magician who produced a living butterfly), it's one of the most magical things we can do. But there's a big problem:

You must have a farm!!!

It's only my humble opinion, but farming or culture of living creatures is a complicated way to build a strong effect. But I don't judge, because the purists who try this hard way can do a magic we can't see everyday.

Chad! You think you have created a "new" handling to produce so perfectly this tadpole?...

(My god! What is a tadpole?... I must search in the dictionnary...)

See you soon,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
DarkKnight
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of DarkKnight
One problem with farming tadpoles is that they don't stay as tadpoles for long! Mind you, producing a frog could be impressive!

Maggots to flies could be good, although certainly not for a restaurant!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Chadmagic writes: "I have an idea for producing a primitive life form from primitive materials."

No doubt that would involve picking up a waitress in a biker bar!
Smile
knave
View Profile
New user
UK Newcastle
72 Posts

Profile of knave
What’s wrong with doves?

But seriously, I think it’s a great idea. This doesn’t add really anything, but purely from a practical point of view (available all year round, easy to farm, don’t turn into anything else!) you could consider using small earthworms. They may give you a bit more movement as well.

If you’re stuck on tadpoles then (after many years as a child devoted to them) I can recommend the tadpoler’s Holy Grail – Toadpoles. Much bigger and more horrible looking, plus being much scarcer (in the UK anyway) your average man on the street hasn’t seen one.

By the way, doesn’t that Brazilian psychic Thomas such and such (the one who has just had a run-in with Randi) produce a live chick from any egg?

Regards
Dave
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Hey

I have a routine that I use and appears in my book, 7 Deceptions in which a butterfly is produced.

It is the most stunning effect in my performance and one of the most talked about. I love the reactions it gets when I do it.

I also have a "darker" presentation in which a moth or butterfly is produced while a story regarding a dead relative is told. I love this effect like a brother! It always serves me well.

The production/creation of life is for me one of the most interesting plots to work on.

I also do an effect in which a rose dies while you cast a shadow over it.

I would be interested in hearing what you guys have come up with ...

Kind Regards,

Luke Jermay.

Smile
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hi,
Producing a moth or a butterfly was written up in "Chaps Scrapbook" and Ricky Jay did it once on British TV.
A read in one of my bizarre books, how to create life. A piece of clay was formed into a small "Golem" and it started to walk. If you wish more informations, feel free to ask!
Ted Lesley

Hello:
The clay-figure, that walks is an idea from Charles W. Cameron. You`ll find it in his
"Handbook Of Horror" pages 40/41 under the heading: "Manikin Macabre". Check it out!

TED LESLEY Smile
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Wow, that would be perfect for my Halloween performance. I'm hoping I'll be able to track down the book in time.

Is the routine suitable as a "parlor" effect?
What is the color of magic?
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
The routine with the clay-figure IS in my humble opinion PERFECT for the parlor!

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Unfortunately the book is out of print. Is anyone aware of a version of this effect printed elsewhere? Smile
What is the color of magic?
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Producing life? Chad, at your age you should already know how to do that although I know some magic geeks that probably never will, I suspect you are not one of them.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
CardSharp
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
104 Posts

Profile of CardSharp
Yeah Chad, that sounds like a very good trick. But to restore life that's another story, I nearly scared my mom to death with the fly resurrection trick Smile not that it's a very practical trick but it gets the job done.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Al Mann produced ants, (if I remember correctly it was ants) with patter about the production of life, in a routine in his booklet "The H Factor". It was simply a switch of envelopes!

Paul.
Vesper
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Vesper
Interesting thread..
Has anyone actually tried the fly trick and succeded? In that case, how exactly did you proceed and what happened?

I have an idea of taking a piece of string and rolling it into a small ball, then exchanging it for a submerged fly that looks almost the same before covering it with salt.

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

All the best

Vesper

Click here to view attached image.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Quote:
On 2002-10-12 19:56, Thoughtreader wrote:
Producing life? Chad, at your age you should already know how to do that although I know some magic geeks that probably never will, I suspect you are not one of them.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

I practice 'safe magic' to prevent this.

Chad
theologian
View Profile
New user
italy
21 Posts

Profile of theologian
Hi to all,
One year ago, I created an effect where the magician shows the clay or the mud, tells a strange story on Jesus from baby, described in the apocrypha Gospel.
The magician manipulates to create a small bird, and then he blows in the figurine bird and it turns into real bird.
The difficult thing was the method for me, I presented it only two times, but the effect butterfly suggested from Cendre, that you can find it in New Invocation is the best.
Theologian
Smile Smile Smile
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1733 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Alain Nu has a routine in his book "6" with a pocket watch that comes to life. At the end Maggots crawl out from the back of the watch.

My comment can not do the description justice... go read it.

-George Tait
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I looked up this book, but found only a review of it, and that was in French. Where can we read an English version?

Chad
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of saheer
Nu's book can be purchased from Magicsmith.

The Cameron book is availale from Magic Books by Post.

Lesley's mention of the golem for some reason reminded me of Brother Shadow's effigy of pazuzu from the Invocation. Of course, the effect's not so much about creating life as it is scaring it out of people, but what are you going to do? Smile
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
promethee
View Profile
Regular user
France
125 Posts

Profile of promethee
Quote:
On 2002-10-12 19:56, Thoughtreader wrote:
Producing life? Chad, at your age you should already know how to do that although

See Copperfield idea: Here! Smile
La fleur de l'illusion produit le fruit de la realite.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » producing life (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL