The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How to recognize gimmicked decks in their cases (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ryay
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ryay
A friend asked me to post this question. If you have lots of trick decks, like 20 or so, how do you know how to recognize which deck is in which case? He doesn't want anything the laymen could see, like writing, but rather just a quick way to tell.
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
Inside the top flap of the box you could write it if that would help. If not and they're in a suitcase he could have labels inside sorting the decks. If that still doesn't work and he has a good memory he could place a dot in a certain spot on the box to mark it.
-Jamie
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Take a pencil and write a couple letters on the edge of the box. Nobody will see it.

Like "O" and "E" for odd and even or "ID" for inivsible deck.

A lot of beginners start out with a lot of trick decks. Then after a while you'll get down to where you'll just write "N" on all of them for "Normal" deck. Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
djc89
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of djc89
I really only use one trick deck, ID. I'm lucky that it's my one deck that is without the "Texas Hold 'Em Rules Inside!" image.
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Can't say I've had this problem. I have ordered an assortment deck from Penguin but it's not a deck you'd just pull out and use for a trick. I take out the gimmicked card I need and put it with my normal deck.
The Presitidigitationist
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Just mark it in a way that only you could tell which is which and that it is not visible to the audience.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Put a rubber band around them.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I just mark with a sharpy on the bar code what it is. Invisible deck would be ID, Si Stebbens stack would be Steb and so on.
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
"A friend asked me to post this"

Yeah right, it's okay to ask anything you want. We won't pass judgement.
:kermit: Smile
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Is it the same friend who has a rash in a private place? My pharmicist friend loves getting asked that.

Different deck... different pocket. I mark the box with lines. Let the spectator play with the box all day. Easy to see, no one knows what the lines are for but me.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
LPU
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of LPU
Mine are in a case with a paper sleeve on them that it comes with. I just take the deck out and leave the sleeve behind!
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Does your friend take 20 gimmicked decks to each performance? I must say that I don't own too many gimmicked decks, but typically only one or at the most two go with me to a performance. Then it's easy enough to tell them apart using the above suggestions.
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
400 Posts

Profile of Jay
I mark my card boxes with the Ted Lesley Card Marking System materials. I put the mark in the exact same spot I put the marks on the cards, so I know where to look. No one has ever seen the mark, but it is plain as day to me!

Jay
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
Surely no one uses more than ONE trick deck in a performance? Although I do know one magician who carries an entire briefcase full of such decks.If your friend has loads of trick decks then keep things simple. For storage purposes, write the name of each deck inside the box on the flap. Remove the deck for a performance and put it in an UNMARKED case, ( if he doesn't think he can take out the deck and not conceal the writing. As we say in the UK Cor blimey! )When he's finished he can put the deck back into its marked case in his store box . Finally , if he is so scared of audiences knowing a trick deck is used tell him to work hard on effects with ANY deck.
Allen Tipton UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
May I suggest a cross reference with Pick a card...any card » » Cards decks Disorganized? Problem solved postings. Esp. take a look at daffydoug's suggestion.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
darkleopard5
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
107 Posts

Profile of darkleopard5
Put a mark or sign on it you will remember! like a happy face, a check mark an "X" or something.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I use Frank Starsini's method. Listen if they are spending their time looking at the box instead of you then keeping your trick decks organized is the least of your problems.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I will ring in a Svengali deck when table-hopping. I have three decks on me, a Svengali deck, a "normal deck", and a stacked deck. The normal deck is always in right jacket pocket because it's "the right deck". Sven is in my left jacket pocket because "it's not right". The stacked deck could be in an inside jacket pocket or vest depending on how I am dressed. I am not worried about where that one goes cause I always know where the other two are. I hope this is not too convoluted, but it works for me. I will mark the Svengali decks with a number & a letter to identify the key card on the lower right back corner of the box. Very simple: 7H, 5d,AS, JC, etc.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's not that complicated. Smile

I don’t carry an invisible deck because no one could see it. Smile
Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I have a small "I" on my Invisable Deck. I can't think of any other trick decks that have an "I" in their names so as to need an "ID" for the invisable one.

I have two trick decks of cards. One is an invisable deck and the other I call a Scarne deck after a trick I saw John Scarne do at the close of a beer commercial.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
I think what Frank Starsini said is the best way that's how I do it. but I also agree that it is best to keep the trick decks to a minimum. I only use an ID
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How to recognize gimmicked decks in their cases (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL