The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How to recognize gimmicked decks in their cases (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I have a great case. It's the Ronjo's "Close-Up Case". It opens in a drawer fashion. I'll admit I cary like, 10 decks or so in it plus a few in my pockets. Yes I open the case and people see them, BUT in another post I've gone over that subject. I'd say 60%-70% of what I do is with a straight deck. I go for Impact and Effect, and just some tricks aren't possible with a "Straight Deck". I do "Street Magic", and ocassionally someone will notice the decks, and I say I don't like using the same deck wearing it out over and over again. I just in pen mark the white top border of the case each trick in abbr. It's simple. Also I respond by saying, each one is for different things. It's true, such as ESPcially Wild, or the Mind's Eye Deck, or my own mentalism peek deck with black rectangles drawn on them. To the spectator ir really doesn't draw suspicion, because let's face it you NEED ESP card to do a ESP trick. If you are doing a trick and NEED a blank deck, you'll need blank cards...ECT. As far as packet tricks, I use the wallets that they come in different colors usually with two sides with clear plastic. If you have ETMCM series you should have a couple of wallets.
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Shane Baker
View Profile
New user
10 years and I've made a measly
79 Posts

Profile of Shane Baker
Not working close-up all that much, I've simply written the name of each deck on the edge of the box: Invisible, Brainwave, Rising, etc etc and it's never presented any problems. Of course, that's simply so I can find them in the gaffed deck box with some degree of expediency. At one point, having had problems w/ odd even etc, I even marked the Invisible deck 2-Q on one side of the box, A-K on the other.

(Of course, I've also been known to announce that "I shall now produce two sleeve bouquets from an empty foulard", either that or the famous "spring rabbit from the mirror box" -- only kidding boys, only kidding.)
othere_eye
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of othere_eye
I pretty much do what the others are saying. My dad taught me to put a single letter on the flap right in that little "U" shape cutout the boxes have. "S" for stripper, "V" for Svengali "I" for invisible and "R" for rising. This is crucial to my decks in particular because I do store them all together and will often have more than one in my case at a time and because aside from gimicks they're identical, all red bikes! (Sure does keep me from buying more gimmicked decks, knowing they wouldn't "match my scheme")
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I think it's not uncommon to have 20 gimmicked decks (GD)in the case. I have at least 6 GD each just to do Jay Sankey's effects, such as Hotlink, Carbon Paper, X, and Tracking Device. Nowadays, I use a DYMO labelmaker and label my GD. I usu. stick the label under the cardbox where the USP is printed. No one ever asked me about it as they can't see it.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
I have always labelled my deck like Frank S. suggested at the top of this thread. Just used a finetip blue Sharpie. If you are afraid that it looks suspicious you could put those same letters on the box using Letterset letter/s on the bottom of the box next to the 808 so it appears to be a store or manufacturer code.

The code I use is similar to the above and I order them alphabetically. All sit on end in the box so they are easily read.

1F2H - 1 way forcing (2 hearts or as appropriate)
2F5S-JD - 2 way forcing (5 spades-Jack diamonds)
B - Brainwave
EO - Easy Opener
H - Hoy
I - Invisible
P - Pop-eyed Popper
R - Rising
STB - Stripper Belly
STE - Stripper End
SV - Svengali
TS - Thought Sender (Burger)

a few others I can't remember.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
David Gardener
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, New Zealand
53 Posts

Profile of David Gardener
I also tend to use elastic bands, and by varying the number, the thickness and the orientation, you can just dig deep into your bag of tricks and remove, the deck. I have found this invaluable in situations when the light was not that great, (with all that practising us magi do, we should have super sensitive fingertips to aid the method anyway!) Smile
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Quote:
On 2005-10-11 01:55, David Gardener wrote:
I also tend to use elastic bands, and by varying the number, the thickness and the orientation, you can just dig deep into your bag of tricks and remove, the deck. I have found this invaluable in situations when the light was not that great, (with all that practising us magi do, we should have super sensitive fingertips to aid the method anyway!) Smile

best way IMO , or roughing spray...
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
swee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of swee
Maybe putting a sticker on the case might help!
magic123454321
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magic123454321
The sticker on the case. LIke a lot of others said. You could have the decks name on it. Laymen probably wouldnt read it.
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
I've come up with an idea but haven't gotten to produce it yet. I scanned the top of the deck where the word "POKER" is. I coverd that up and then put in various texts in the exact same size, font, placement etc. However instead of "POKER" they will say "INVISIBLE", "RISING", "Svengali" etc. Then I'm gonna print them out on stickers to stick on my decks. This way if people do see it, it doens't stand out as being different.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
For distinguishing between decks in your pocket...leave the cellophane wrapper on
one and off the other...it is easy to feel
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
The rising deck I occasionally use is a Bicycle deck, so what I did is where it says Rider Back or something like that in red letters, I made the first R in Rider. Just don't take out the wrong deck and have the people having suspicion you have messed with decks. I usually just wear pants with plenty of pockets when I have multiple decks, and just remember where each is.
kaigan
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of kaigan
If you use Bicycle cards, look at the bottom where the bar code is. Next to that, where it says "BICYCLE(R)" above "POKER 808", there's some white space to the right of that 808. If I wanted something subtle, I'd grab a red or blue marker (to match the deck) and just jot a letter or two right there. Print neatly and it will be absolutely invisible to spectators, even if they take a close look at your box (for some strange reason).

Personally, I just write in blue sharpie (even though it's on red deck boxes), next to the seal on the side of the case that shows the back design: "reg" for a regular deck, "sven" for Svengali, "m.p." for mental photography, etc. Spectators never seem to care about a card box, maybe if I did some effect that involved the box they might want to take a look, dunno.

I wish I could find my IDs, I'd do the same for those.

HB

(How embarrassing to lose IDs, I can't even ask anyone to help look for them or they'll think I'm nuts...)
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
If managing your gimmicked decks is due to a large number of decks perhaps Therapy will help. I hear there is a new support group and reasearch study going at Johns Hopkins:) seriously the method I use to keep my cards sorted out is that I use a series of clipps with a pair of scissors so that I can have several decks in my pockets and be able to tell them without seeing them. I belieave that using touch is the best method. stickers and rubber bands also help especialy if they are a part of the routine ie tossed out deck. for the routines I use from the card case I will say clip the tabs from one the right, tab from the other, left tab from another a notch in the flap of another and so on. this works for me. The key is to remember your system so write it down in your secrets file.
Believe you then that I do strange things
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Mark the boxes, it`s simple Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How to recognize gimmicked decks in their cases (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL