The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to correctly do the pulse stop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I was listening to two magis arguing about how to do the pulse stop the other day and couldn't help thinking I'd been there before.
Their argument was on whether or not to a)be bold or b)be gimmicked (don't worry, I am aware of lurkers!).
I yawned and got myself ready. What I found particularly interesting this time around wasn't the same old argument which both I and they had heard so so so many times. But rather the fact that they seemed to find it impossible to recognised that 'the other' had a point to make. And only in keeping out of the argument and listening to 'them' it was easy to see that of course they were both correct.
One wanted the excitement of 'knowing' he was taking a risk and was personally happy to pay the price if the recipient claimed the pulse didn't stop, whilst the other saw the end goal: a stopped pulse EVERY time and guaranteed.
So... here is my suggestion for 'you' to TRY out. That way you can then have an 'informed judgement'.
I personally am always (nearly always) gimmicked. However I ALWAYS go for it without using the gimmick. I do this mainly for the **** of it I suppose and my own personal ego. Yet as a pro being paid pro money I always feel that I want to get the result my client is paying to see. And I can tell you that in my estimation I get the required result about 80% of the time. Maybe a little more on a good night. Then, if they acknowledge that 'my' pulse has stopped, I get them to try it on the friend who is standing by their side, and I have to say the success rate goes up to nearly 100% since all I'm doing now is supporting their belief system.
(FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN PSYCHOLOGY IN MENTALISM: THIS IS IT!)

The back-up obviously speaks for itself:
"No? It didn't stop? Let's try it one more time but with a little more concentration huh?"

Interestingly enough I can still get them to do it next with a friend and still get a great result since the belief system (even if aided by the gimmick) is set into motion.
And any half-decent psychologist or hypnotherapist will tell you that the belief system (even outside of hypnosis) is the place we want to get to.

If anyone has any other ideas (other than the same old argument about being a brave hobbyist) let's hear about it.

Ta ta chaps,
Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Hello I am an amateur/pro mentalist, I just started performing around a year ago. I do a lot of muscle reading and other stuff related to psych-mentaism I have heard that it is possible to make the spec. believe that a pulse has indeed stopped, but gimmicks in that area I did not know were around, I will be greatful if you could tell me were to buy such a gimmick and other materials related to psych-mentalism thanks..sorry I know you wanted someone to write about a new idea but I don't have any..thanks justin
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
For real.
Anyway, excellent example Bobser. This is where a mentalism platform can support going safely to another more interesting level. You have an opportunity to both test suggestability whilst ratifying and futher influencing an altered reality.
I can imagine a whole induction could be indirectly performed this way.
Another principle in action is that Cialdini talks about is public commitment.
Having publicly agreed to saying something is true the participant is committed to that at an identity level. They are likely to stand by that even to the edge of stooging , or perhaps self convincing.
I,ve been wondering how to weave this knowledge in and you've really got me thinking.

Roki
{Im not a stalker !!! )
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Great post Bobser,

We would be better off if more gave the things they do that much thought.

Thanks,

Jack

H.O.A.X
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Justin-

To render you a courteous response: The gimmicked method is found in beginner books on stunts and tricks "Sneaky Feats" or More Sneaky Feats, and has seldom gotten any more advanced than described. It used to be a kid's trick that almost everyone knew...now is a stage stunner for an audience that no longer knows the method... Converse with your magic friends, one will know the method. It purportedly is an old Indian Street Magi stunt.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Steve Skomp
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Steve Skomp
It is possible to stop your pulse 100% of the time without psychology or gimmicks.

But, it would require that you buy my book, Devious Deceptions and read "Heart Stopper". End of plug.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Roki
Cialdini is the goods
LOL
TJ
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I SURRENDER.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
Sorry Tom
The correct spelling is ...
Ay Caramba
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Think this thread will ever get back on track?

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
I know many great ways to stop a pulse. I'd rather do it to someone other than myself or anyone I cared for. I think it is illegal in just about the whole world. pm me for details...
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi Bobser
Very clever stuff
Cheers
TJ
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
Ok I must clarify... my post was a bit too subtle due to the number of PM's and emails I got. was a sick joke about stopping a pulse (easy) but not starting it up again...
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
It wasnt all in vein.
The goose is dead , long live the gooesemeister!!!
kardini
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
141 Posts

Profile of kardini
In the end of the last year (2004) I presented here in the Brazilian TV (Canal 20 of Net TV) this same effect with very sucess in THREE (3) consecutive stages: Initially I stopped my proper pulsation using the classic methodology (with gimmick), later I stopped the pulsation of my JUGULAR VEIN (!!) and to finish, as apotheosis, I stopped - in distance - the pulsation of a present spectator to the studio using the great method suggestive/psychological of Luke Jermay. All the people (and also the viewers TV), included the famous presenter of the program had also been impressed and shocked....
website 2017 - http://www.kardini.com.br
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Does it require t********p?
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I find that an extremely tight ligature just above the elbow does the trick!

Howard
Jean-Denis
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
126 Posts

Profile of Jean-Denis
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I recently realized that each time I practice this trick often during a short period of time (using the gimmick), I get some blood pressure problems in my head for at least a week. My nose even gets unt-stoppable spasms for days.

I know it sounds weird, but I decided to stop doing the trick (unfortunately) because of that. I must admit that I created my own gimmick that is 100% bloodproof but very painful at longterm.
mwilliams
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of mwilliams
Try using the tongue-pulse ala Harling & Nyrup. It's a great jugular routine which has absolutely killed (pun intended) on the couple of occasions I've actually found to try it.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
"Try using the tongue-pulse ala Harling & Nyrup. It's a great jugular routine which has absolutely killed (pun intended) on the couple of occasions I've actually found to try it."

I will have to look at this one.

I found my hand goes to sleep after doing the pulse stop. Sort of like it has done when Ive done handcuff escapes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to correctly do the pulse stop (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL