The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Can a mentalist be funny? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
John's awesome - check out Ali Bongo's and Banachek's comments about him in his promo materials.

Mark Shortland is very funny, yes. Kerry (Scorah) is his wife, I believe.
spook
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
150 Posts

Profile of spook
No, I'm quite certain most audiences would prefer a stern person "lecturing" them and trying to appear mysterious. Plus, how the performer got that stick so far up his or her ass makes for a riveting after-show discussion.
paulyjr
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of paulyjr
Yes.and no.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
This is a question that has no "right" answer. It depends upon what the performer wants to project. Derren Brown and David Blaine exude an air of "intensity"; people actually believe they have some sort of "powers" that they themselves don't... while John Archer comes across as an "everyman", who happens to be an incredibly gifted mentalist and above all, a wonderful entertainer. Richard Osterlind is somewhere in the middle- he doesn't claim to have powers, yet he's intense- he's funny, but not a comic... and he's an everyman.
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
Don't you think it's also the material? If you want to be a funny mentalist you will have to keep the material light. The minute you say that you are going to read someone's mind, the mood will begin to change.

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando
Richie Dagger
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson, AZ
267 Posts

Profile of Richie Dagger
Funny? No! A mentalist should be boring. I thought everyone knew that already?
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Hey Tony,
Yes, it's most certainly the material, but I think the material should follow the persona of the individual, not the other way around. Figure out who you are up there (G-d, I hate this word), "organically", then develop material around that. You'd never see Osterlind take on a Chris Angel-type persona-- you'll also never see Osterlind using "st--ges"... and vice-versa for Angel, I'm sure.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Can't you also say you're going to read a mind, and do it in a funny way? Check out DC's Cardiographic presentation/Moon Rise.
pete
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
207 Posts

Profile of pete
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 09:52, ChristopherM wrote:
Can't you also say you're going to read a mind, and do it in a funny way?

Sure you can and I don´t understand why it is so big problem for some of us. Like I said before, I only think where I put my funny lines and as long as they are in a right places there are no problems.

Pete
noxas
View Profile
Regular user
U.K
121 Posts

Profile of noxas
Really there is no answer to this question... obviously a mentalist CAN be funny, but the real question is... does the mentalist CHOSE to be funny? its a matter of preference... some people will want to be funny, others will not.... you just have to make your own mind up of which you want to be.
pete
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
207 Posts

Profile of pete
Noxas,

Thank you for that. There´s no better way to say that.

Pete
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Don't miss watching John Archer.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Add Mel Mellers to the list too.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&15
asanghi
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, Russia
308 Posts

Profile of asanghi
And how about Chuck Hickok and Marc Salem - both have lots of humor in their acts!
Scotty Mac
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Scotty Mac
I've heard great things about Graham P. Jolly. Anyone know where to find any video clips?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I like to believe my show is humorous as well.

Your show is who YOU are.

John
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment" is a must-read. Above all, you must be compelling. Being technically the best, outrageously funny, flashy... at the end of the day, the audience will remember the performer to whom they releated the best, and who offered the most moments of wonder interwoven with their humanity.
lejon
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of lejon
Only one answer to your question, its actually to return the question to you.

do you think you can put a funny mentalism act? than just do it!

what if everybody tells you no? then you don't do it?
the mere fact that you are asking shows me that that is what you wnt to do. and if that what you want to do then you believe its possible. then do it... even if you're the first one to do it... ( which clearly would not be the case, but that's not the point)
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Yes of course a 'mentalist' can be funny.
But, laughing at drunk hobos walking around singing with their trousers around their ankles is frowned upon though.

Too many make an effort to be funny because they don't have the confidence in their ability to present the material in a strong anough manner, or they believe (wrongly) that if the audience don't laugh, then they aren't having a good time.
This leads to too many peformers overshadowing wonderful pieces with bad jokes. I am so sick of seeing lousy performers ruin great material by running their mouths and trying to be funny when they should just shut up and perform the routine (as witnessed in every magic competition I have ever sat through).
Also, very few have the ability to be convincing and funny at the same time. I sincerely believe that if you aren't a naturally funny person then do not even try. You'll just be bad at it, and you'll ruin great material.

If you are naturally funny then you have the difficult task of finding a balance between material and laughs, so that people remember both aspects of your show. You don't want people saying 'I can't remember anything he actually did, but he was funny' unless you plan on being a comedian. The magic should still be the priority.
It's all about balance.
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
My show is very organic. It's got very strong 'moments of mentalims', and equally strong moments of merriment. It can be done, I do it, and that is why I get such a high proportion of repeat bookings. The audience must be engaged, and the performer must be flexible to be able to react in a manner that will engage each different audience. Sometimes I play up the humour, sometimes I play up the psychological components of the performance. A bride and groom don't want me to educate their 200 guests, and equally, a company director does not want me to showcase my top 100 one liners to his international business colleagues.

Find yourself, I get closer to doing to every show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Can a mentalist be funny? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL