We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel Mindfreak series? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18~19~20~21 [Next]
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Ok, yes I maybe should of used BETTER words for my comment.

Anywhom I am going to tell you guys there is a THIN line between beign a magician and saying you MIGHT HAVE SUPER POWERS.EVERY ONE KNOWS IT'S A TRICK. If you had superpowers you wouldn't be wasting them on cheesy cards or whatever.......
That is how he is a fake. HE is trying to prove he MIGHT have superpowers.I am not saying you should expose the sub trunk. I am not saying you have to say how you do the ACR. Just keep in mind YOU DO NOT HAVE SUPERPOWERS. You ARE AN ARTIST WITH LOTS OF SKILL AND TRAINING. WHO THROUGH ALOT OF HARD WORK CAN DO WHAT APPPEARS TO BE MIRACLES. THe audience isn't stupid, treat em with this respect. I personally feel he is a fake. He is LIke the Uri Geller toned down to the new generations of magicians and laymen.

Now again Houdini.....

There is Four basic reactions to the effects Criss performs

A)He is scary
B)"How did you do that"
C)"He is better than...."
D)"Are you the real deal"

ALL basic magician reactions....(how many of you can honestly say you haven't had THOSE reactions?) NOthing great....

Now let's compare that to Houdini....

Houdini Brought out a COMPLE range of emotions. He:inspired,Scarred you, gave you joy,made you cry,women wanted to be with him,Men wanted to be him,gave you hope, and is legendary and just about ANYONE knows his name.MOst importantly HE was THE FIRST to give this image in magic. Look at ANY magician before him aside from the O.G. Houdini.

Is he better?NO. Is Brittney spears better than Jimi Hendrix just because she sells more Cd's?NO.

It is just RIDICULOUS for him to say he is better tha HOudini. When houdini Had NO knowledge and hundreds of Pros behind him.Criss Angel doesn't come close in importance to Houdini.

The guy is an EGO MANIAC. He is NOT BETTER than HOUDINI , BLAINE etc...

The importance those guys had on people was NEW, INNOVATIVE and GOOD for magic and People. Criss angel just creates the same emotions those have created with an added "scary" feel. ANYONE can do that.Alot of US HAVE ALREADY!!!

Do I respect him for getting that far. YES. But he claims to be the new face of magic with a brand NEW for of enterntainment called "MINDFREAK."When in reallity it is just a SLIGHT almost INSIGNIFICANT(sp?) improvement on magicians before him.

I will continue to watch, but he isn't anything GREAT.AT ALL.....Who he claims to be.If you want I CAN FIND YOU SOME QUOTES.

Look at my first post to this topic and notice I wasn't negative. But when Criss begins to act stupid and BAD. What kind of reply does he want?It is obvious it will be a negative one. SO sorry....but I just HAD to say it.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I enjoy the show.

I understand that it's a TV show.

I understand that most of us on this forum don't work in the medium of TV and so Cris Angel's "magic" is different than that which we usually perform by necessity of this fact.

I am glad that A&E has gone with a show designed for TV and not a half hour continuous, single camera shot of stage show.

I enjoy the bits of traditional magic tricks better than most of the stunts, but I think Cris is generally headed in the right direction with this.

While you may not feel Cris' potshots at Houdini or Blaine are appropriate, you should be aware that Houdini was known to sabotage competing magician's shows. Challenges and comparisons were a major part of how Houdini marketed himself.

That Cris plays up or exaggerates the danger element of his stunts is part of the game. All magicians do this. Nobody says, "I'm going to bury myself alive and escape, but I've got so many safeguards in place that there's virtually no risk or actual challenge to it, so don't worry." Danger is one of the illusions he is creating. When Houdini did his milk-can escape - after he had released himself from the gimmicked can he would sit back stage reading the paper to waste time in order to build the tension. In this way he exaggerated the danger the same way Cris does. This is what magic shows are about.
TheRock
View Profile
New user
Anderson, Indiana
95 Posts

Profile of TheRock
Argue what you want, say what you want, do what you want, and believe what you want about Criss Angel (and David Blaine). Criss Angel (and David Blaine) set out to bring magic to a whole new generation (and older ones as well), and it is HIS CHOICE, not yours, on which methods, effects, illusions, escapes, and etc, etc, etc, that he presents and uses, and how and what he does to go about to accomplish them. Guess what....HE IS DOING IT! (so is David Blaine).

You all complain and say he is disrepecting past "GREATS" of magic (Houdini and others alike), and magic its self as the great art that it is, and its fans. But it seems like that a lot of the "GREAT" magicians of today (and former years) are actually supporting him, by being consultants to his show. So actually, HE IS NOT disrepecting past magicians, magic as the art it is, or the fans, but in fact he is helping it. Angel (and Blaine) is taking magic to a new height, a new younger audience and an older audience, a new plane.

He (and Blaine) is taking magic into the future, and securing its place and the place for all past, present, and future magicians alike, along with its fans. The things Angel (and Blaine) say and do, maybe seem susceptible, out of order, inappropriate, or down right disrespecting. But they are tools, NOTHING MORE, just very effective tools. They grab your attention, either in a positive way or a negative way. None the less, they grab your attention, and you watch, you complain, you discuss, you dissect. But the ONE THING YOU NEVER DO.......YOU DON'T FORGET! Criss Angel (and David Blaine) keeps MAGIC, it's PAST and PRESENT MAGICIANS, and FANS on the lips and minds of all!

Angel says that he will attempt and accomplish something that even Houdini (or another great magician) couldn't or wouldn't do. That is not disrespect, in fact, that is a great compliment to Houdini (and/or other magician). Houdini's (and/or other magician's)name and performances are kept alive and presented to a new younger audience as well as an older generation. Angel has used what "MANY" feel as the most "RECONIZED AND RESPECTED" name in the HISTORY OF MAGIC, the name of HARRY HOUDINI.

By Angel saying that he would attempt too and accomplish something that even the Great Houdini could not or would not do, is MORE OF an acknowledgement and compliment to the great Harry Houdini, then if Angel would have said that he would attempt and accomplish something that even "The Great Less Accomplished Magician" (insert any less accomplished magician's name you want) would not or could not do, or even if he had not mentioned any magician's name at all!

All I ever see in this thread (and others like it) is the, "I Wouldn't" and "He Shouldn't" and "How Dare He" and all the other remarks of 100% PURE JEALOUSY. Criss Angel, David Blaine, David Copperfield, Lance Burton, and others (forgive me for not knowing or mentioning their names), have ALL BUSTED THEIR BUTTS AND PAID THEIR DUES day after day and night after night and month after month and year after year, to get to where they are right now. Each one of them have taken different paths in their lives to do it. But the one thing they have not forgotten (but many of you seem to have forgotten), is that magic is meant for entertaining. Their vision of how magic should be presented is different from yours and from each others. But none the less, they each have a vision, and in each of their own ways, they worked their butts off to present it and reach the status of where each one of them are now.

If you don't like their (Angel, Blaine, Copperfield, Burton, and others) visions of how Magic is presented, go out and present it the way you feel it should be presented, work your butts off (and I am not saying you don't already) and go out and show how you feel your vision of how magic should be presented. Remember this...Success is not given, Success is earned!

Remember this.....You did not create the entire art of magic, it was created by all involved, Magicians, Performers, Audiences, and so on. But in the end, it will be the audience whom determines what they want to see, NOT the performer. So stop thinking and watching magic and it performers like a performer, and start watching like the audience.

I want to use a quote by "DUNNINGER" and then use it a little differently but in the same type of context. So read both and then think long and hard about both, becuase I have....

DUNNINGER'S QUOTE- "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice."

My Take On DUNNINGER'S QUOTE- "For those who want to be entertained, no argument of the presentation is necessary. For those who do not, no presentation will suffice."
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Is angel good or bad?Seems in magic success measures that.(not what good he is doing to the world)So personally I will continue to believe the bad he is doing is more than the good and he is really doing NOTHING for magic or anyone aside from "coolness" and "better effects we have to develope" as magicians.Old Knowledge.

The problem is simple here. I look at it from an ethical point of view.(Which is questionable in it self.) While others look at magic as the more famous you are and recognizeable the BETTER.It doesn't matter how bad and how much you hurt ANYONE along the way.People and your art.

I will continue to give MY TAKE on magic myself. Hopefully there is something better than being the most famous magician in the world. That is a DEPRESSING thought. Oh yeah something like Houdini. An ICON of good. Like Martin Luther King, Ghandi, etc...Impossible with magic?Who knows......I certainly hope it isn't. I believe it isn't.Certainly will work hard for that. Not to be FAMOUS or RICH,But INNOVATION and GOOD for the world.Finally giving that HONOR a magician deserves for being one.Success is irrelevant, the goodness you do will last forever.

There really isn't nothing left to say. Belive what you will.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I rate him as successful.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
cocomax
View Profile
Loyal user
North Fork, CA
285 Posts

Profile of cocomax
Why do some magicians try to build themselves up by tearing other magicians down, by mocking them, sneakering at them, or flat out calling them a big phoney?

How does this help magicians?

Tim Wisseman
TheRock
View Profile
New user
Anderson, Indiana
95 Posts

Profile of TheRock
Quote:
On 2005-08-12 02:48, unilogo wrote:
Is angel good or bad?Seems in magic success measures that.(not what good he is doing to the world)So personally I will continue to believe the bad he is doing is more than the good and he is really doing NOTHING for magic or anyone aside from "coolness" and "better effects we have to develope" as magicians.Old Knowledge.

The problem is simple here. I look at it from an ethical point of view.(Which is questionable in it self.) While others look at magic as the more famous you are and recognizeable the BETTER.It doesn't matter how bad and how much you hurt ANYONE along the way.People and your art.

I will continue to give MY TAKE on magic myself. Hopefully there is something better than being the most famous magician in the world. That is a DEPRESSING thought. Oh yeah something like Houdini. An ICON of good. Like Martin Luther King, Ghandi, etc...Impossible with magic?Who knows......I certainly hope it isn't. I believe it isn't.Certainly will work hard for that. Not to be FAMOUS or RICH,But INNOVATION and GOOD for the world.Finally giving that HONOR a magician deserves for being one.Success is irrelevant, the goodness you do will last forever.

There really isn't nothing left to say. Belive what you will.

Not to bring religion into this, but I think this is very relative at this point, and to quote PART of a passage from Jesus Christ from the bible..........."Let him without sin cast the first stone"

Everyone here is looking for all the bad things they can find with what Criss Angel (and others) does and says to or for magic and it's audiences, so much to the point that you CAN NOT see (and more then likely do not want to see) any of the good things he is doing. You are "CASTING STONES" so to speak without first "BEING WITHOUT SIN" so to speak. You are just as guilty and more so, of doing the damage to magic, its performers, and its audiences. You constantly want to find the fault and short commings in this man without admitting any of your own faults and shortcomings. That doesn't make you as bad as you say/think/believe Criss Angel (and others) is, it makes you WORSE!!!

This brings me right back to the two quotes from above (a quote taken from Dunniger, and my take on Dunninger's quote)......

DUNNINGER'S QUOTE- "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice."

My Take On DUNNINGER'S QUOTE- "For those who want to be entertained, no argument of the presentation is necessary. For those who do not, no presentation will suffice."

And for a completely different take on Dunniger's quote, other then my own....
"For those seeking good without looking for fault, no search can ever be stopped. For those who do not and only seek fault, no search will ever matter."

Think about it.............................................
cocomax
View Profile
Loyal user
North Fork, CA
285 Posts

Profile of cocomax
Why exactly are some magicians so jealous of other magicians?

It all seems pretty childish.

Tim Wisseman

Posted: Aug 12, 2005 4:47am
Oh my, nobody is suppose to say anything bad about Criss Angel because of something Jesus tells us?

What was Jesus calling for when He ordered His followers to JUDGE NOT (Matt7:1)? Did He want us to close our eyes to error and people claiming to have supernatural powers, but do not? Did He intend that bosses not do performance reviews of their employees? Or that critics pull their punches? Or that juries not make a judgment? Should we decline any assessment of others, since none of us is perfect?

Here are some other Jesus sayings you do not here in church very often.

"But bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me." -Luke19:27

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn "'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law--a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.' Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me" (Matthew 10:34-37).

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple" (Luke 14:26)
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Maybe if you would of have read the WHOLE thread to get your facts right. I pointed out MY FLAWS, HIS FLAWS, and GAVE HIM ALL THE CREDIT HE DESERVED. I NEVER PUT HIM DOWN IN FRONT OF PEOPLE AT HOME EITHER. I SHOW ONLY RESPECT TO THE GUY WHENEVER SOMEONE ASKS ABOUT HIM. ONLY BECAUSE HE DID WORK HIS BUTT OFF and I DON'T want to add to the novelty we have as magicians. Plus there is some respect...which I mentioned in previous posts. I am the bad guy?"WORSE,JEALOUS?"...My posts certainly don't reflect that. I don't feel they did. If they did sorry, but I still believe people change over time.Read this whole thread.

To quote myself since you didn't read the whole topic.

"I Will agree with EVERYONE here in bits and pieces. It was DROP DEAD AMAZING and it was DROP DEAD HORRIBLE. More or the less AMAZING.

Now I knew what was awaiting me in this forum. Hurting magic because all of us average magicians can't do it. Some stunts looked beyond fake. We could all tell there was too much camera editting.I'ts all true but guess what , it is PERKS OF DOING A SHOW ON TV SINCE 1995 FOR A BIG NETWORK!

Seriously what were you expecting?"Pick a card , any card "....tricks? A levitation with a broom , as shown in his 14 year old picture? Were you expecting we would be able to do any of those things? I know the response is NO.

We know what people want now in days. This gives us an EXTREMELY AMAZING lesson. MAGIC HAS TO MOVE ON. That is the bottom line. We have to start working to create the impossible with modern edge.Most of us don't pull bunnies from hats for the same reason! I don't see how you can complain.

You want to be as amazing as angel? Most of those things can be done without stooges as banacheck pointed out. We should give PLENTY of credit to him because he WAS there. I know I found several ways to do a lot of those. That inspiration was priceless and now thanks to this "horrible" show I am thinking about ways to move magic into the future. Seeing the TRUE power of patter. How my magic has changed lifes while even angel's stays in "trickery."

Don't think of this as a strike to magic. Think of it as the way magic has to be performed now in days for the people watching us.

I know I will take the lesson. You can too....or stick to the SAME old stuff.

Bravo to Angel. Despite all the so called "harm." He did start what he set out to do atleast with me.

Will continue to see it through out.

It is amazing how simple words had so much power over my brothers watching. I had them by the hand , and they were seeing me as this sage. For lack of better words. They knew there is trickery. They saw angel as the way I have to go. They saw him in me. They saw what magic was about . After I was explaining to them. They saw magic. The way it is suppose to go.

I hope magicians learn from our current mistakes. It is something most magicians today lack. Be an original.

This is amazing.

Enjoy magic.People want to see angel instead of your rising cards, king rising, stigmata , coin bite, haunted hanky, silks, doves, etc...they can pay millions for a private show . Or they can enjoy what you are presenting to them. I think they will take the latter.

You are magicians still. Don't let yourself down guys.

People will enjoy you non the less if you are good with what you have. They know if you had super powers you wouldn't be wasting them on coins,cards, levitation, for enterntainment. You are a poor magician. But WE LOVE IT.

Keep your head high. You can do good for the future of magic. I believe in people. I believe in you.

Good luck guys.

Have a great day."

Does that seem wrong? Was I jealous or putting him down?Please......look through the obvious. There is something more behind that.

My thoughts changed after ANGEL started to INSULT my LOVE. MAGIC..........
Which was this last episode.Making "TOOLS" of people as you said. Which isn't the RIGHT thing to do. In my opinion.

PS. I have no concern in becoming big so why would I be putting him down for making myself look better?
cocomax
View Profile
Loyal user
North Fork, CA
285 Posts

Profile of cocomax
Have you ever seen a big name magician on TV mocking other big name magicians? Showing people mocking Blaine or putting down Houdini in order to make themselves look better.

Does it help or hurt them?

Tim
TheRock
View Profile
New user
Anderson, Indiana
95 Posts

Profile of TheRock
Quote:
On 2005-08-12 12:20, cocomax wrote:
Have you ever seen a big name magician on TV mocking other big name magicians? Showing people mocking Blaine or putting down Houdini in order to make themselves look better.

Does it help or hurt them?

Tim

Are you saying that Criss Angel was putting down Houdini? Now I do realize he said stuff about Blaine, I admit Angel did that. But you don't know for a fact if Angel and Blaine haven't discussed it or concocted it between the two of them, and Blaine is allowing him to do it in order to gain the attention for both of them (unlikely but possible), so until you have proof positive, you can't say he was actualy mocking Blaine.

As far as Angel putting down Houdini...How is Angel saying, "he will attempt and accomplish something that even Houdini couldn't or wouldn't do", how is Angel putting Houdini down by saying that? That's not putting Houdini down. That's keeping Houdini's name on people's minds just by mentioning Houdini's name, and its adding more of the thought of danger to the stunt.

Everytime a magician that is different says something about one of the greats of magic's past, everyone here thinks that magician is being disrectfull. I watched an old video from my local library, it had a well known (and respected) magician on it, he told a very well known story about Dai Vernon. Vernon was at the Magic Castle one day and was sitting at a table with a friend (another magician). He said a young aspiring magician came up to them and asked if he could show them some card tricks, Vernon said ok. The young magician performed his tricks, afterwards Dai Vernon started telling the young magician that he was horrible, he stunk, he didn't know nothing about magic, Vernon completely put the young magician down. Vernon completely destroyed this young man right in front of Vernon's friend. The young aspiring magician was so upset that he took off and left. Afterwards Vernon turned to his friend and said, "You know what that guy's problem is....he can't take critisim."

Vernon completely put down another fellow magician in front of someone else, yet Dai Vernon is still considered to be one of the most respected names in magic history. Criss Angel dresses, talks, and acts different, and all he did was say he was doing something that another magician couldn't or wouldn't do, and possibly a put down on Blaine (could have been concocted by Angel and Blaine), and Angel is considered the blacksheep of magic. If that isn't jealousy, then what is?

Oh, for everyone else. I do read this thread in its entirety each time before I post!
cocomax
View Profile
Loyal user
North Fork, CA
285 Posts

Profile of cocomax
Was the street scene with the man with the spider that came out of his hat and the lady with the BIG snake in her back pack, was that suppose to be "magic" or was that suppose to be just Criss and some of his actors playing around scaring people?
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Obviously the latter. But watch out Cocomax, many here will tell you that you're just jealous that you don't have actors to help you scare people.

Randwill
cocomax
View Profile
Loyal user
North Fork, CA
285 Posts

Profile of cocomax
Maybe I am jealous, or maybe I just am not smart enough, perhaps I lack imagination, but I see that spider prank and the snake prank and think. . .

"Oh wow. . . stooges again. . . . that is if this is suppose to be magic effect at all, it is so weak of an effect that maybe this is just some actors goofing around scaring people and not suppose to be a magic effect at all."

I do not know why, maybe I am just wierd, but OBVIOUS stooges make for pretty weak magic.

Would someone like to tell me that the spider guy was NOT A STOOGE I am obvious jealous and unimaginative for thinking that. . . there are many methods that could be used other than a stooge. . .

Such as giving someone a rigged hat or rigged backpack with a snake in it and say hey buddy here is a FREE hat now go over there and talk to Criss. . . or for the snake prank . . . Hey lady! do you want to be on TV? take this HEAVY red backpack and go over there and talk to the nice young goth dude with the film crew. . .

It seemed like it was done with the use of OBVIOUS stooges, but maybe it is all in my mind.

If the poor spider guy was just some unknowing guy the crew handed a "special" hat and sent over to Criss, then that TOTALLY rocks, it is a killer effect and is really funny, very mean, but funny!

However the impression that most TV viewer would get from watching the show is that is suppose to be just some random guy from the street with his own hat. That effect seemed too good, it smelled stoogey, even if it wasn't.

If you have ever seen a David Copperfield show think about the effort that he goes to to pick people at random for some effects to rule out the use of stooges, that makes his "magical moments" so much stronger. David Copperfield and the viewer are all very much aware of the use of stooges and how much that the possiblity weakens the strength of the illusion.

When you remove the easy outs, like no stooges, nothing up my sleeves, look the box is empty. . . you are making the effect stronger and stronger and the payoff even better.

If you do it right people will think "WOW! That ROCKS!!! THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!"

If you do it wrong people will think "Yeah, right that guy must have been a stooge. . ."

Compare in your mind Criss and the spider hat and David Blaine with the kid and the coin that disappeared from his hand. . . .

Which one was more "Magical"?

Which one will you remember 10 years from now?

Sometime you can be too good, things can get crazy when your goal in life is to outdo Houdini or outdo David Blaine, bring in a massive team of helpers, set up stunt after stunt, out do Blaine with IMPOSSABLE street magic that Blaine could never do. . . louder, bigger, faster, screaming, crazy, death, goth, mind freak!

. . . but then again, maybe Mind Freak is NOT a magic show, it is really a simi- reality show, doing strong magic is NOT the goal, freaking people out is the goal. . . This show is more like a combo of the Osborns and Jackass then a magic show. . .

Do you know what Eugene Burger means when he says less is more?

Sometimes too much is too much.

Tim Wisseman
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
After watching several episodes of Mindfreak it's apparent to me that the show is aimed at young, unsophisticated viewers. Like most television really.

Unlike the magic shows seen previously on television, Mindfreak is not an attempt to capture, for a television audience, the experience of seeing a magician perform live. Rather, it is a television show created to depict magical events through the use of television technology. What irritates real magicians is not, as some posit, jealousy, but that the effects depicted are deliberately made to look similar to real magic tricks. In other words, Angel could be depicted pulling a horse or an elephant out of someone's backpack. But even the most ignorant viewer would realize that it was achieved through special effects. But the large snake from a random passer-by's backpack, seems possible, though we know it's not.

Mindfreak's target audience will think they've seen highly skilled sleight of hand. That's unfair to them and annoying to those of us who practice hard to achieve our little miracles in the real world.

Let's hope that real magicians, doing real magic tricks will return to the airwaves someday.

Randwill
TheRock
View Profile
New user
Anderson, Indiana
95 Posts

Profile of TheRock
Yes, what Criss Angel is doing is magic. Granted, it's not the type of magic I want to perform, and by the sound of it it's not the type you want to perform either, but it is magic none the less.

You have to remember, the days of "Top Hats And Tails" type of magic is quickly fading out. Its being replaced by Reality TV, Play Stations, XBox, Computers, MTV, VH1, and other things. And I am not just talking about it being replaced for Kids, it's also being replaced for young adults and older adults as well.

Our culture is rapidly changing. We as a society have gotten to the place that we are tired of seeing the old vanishing coins, cup and balls, vanishing lady type of things. We have gotten to the place where standard magic has become to common, to old, and to boring, no matter how it is presented or by whom it is presented.

Do you know what happens to something when it becomes way to common, to old, and to boring, to a society...it dies out. It wont happen over night, but eventually, standard magic will die out. Society will not want to see it any more. Unfortunately society wants something, in-your-face, new, strange, weird, dark, exciting, scairy, over the edge, and Criss Angel (and others like him) are providing that.

Granted, I DO NOT like EVERYTHING Angel does, but I do like A LOT of what he does, and most importantly I do like how he is keeping magic alive!

When Criss Angel (and others like him) are performing on tv or live, you have two choices. Either watch him OR don't watch him. You have the right to add CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM to what he is doing, but you should still RESPECT what he is doing.

Even though his type of magic doesn't appeal to you, it is till magic. I am sure that you will find that your type of magic doesn't appeal to a lot of people as well, but it is still magic.

This is what society wants as a whole, it appeals to society as a whole. It fills the gap for society wanting the, in-your-face, new, strange, weird, dark, exciting, scairy, over the edge experiences. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be here.

Remember this......Magic is like any other great art, it is in the eyes and minds of the beholder, no matter how, dark, frightening, scairy, in-your-face it may be. It is not in the illusions/effects/tricks or the performers that perform it. I am an artist by nature (drawing with pencil, ink, chalk), I have done portraits of people that were viewed as sickening, frightening, and dark, but not once has anyone ever said that I was not a good artist. So until you TRUELY understand and accept this, you can not even begin to change it.

To change something, we first must understand and accept what attracts people to it to begin with. Only then, can we formulate a plan for a more positive vision of how something should be done.

Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Well, first of all "Top Hats and Tails" magic faded a long time ago. Maybe you mean "Tie-Dyed and Tennis Shoes" ala Doug Henning, but those fashions are pretty dead a well.

I'm sure there are plenty of working pros and amateurs who would be surprised to find out that vanishing coins and cups and balls are no longer appreciated by audiences. I'm sure a night spent at the Magic Castle or any of dozens of venues around Las Vegas, or the world for that matter, would find many excellent performances of these classics still wowing appreciative audiences. You may not realize that things like the cups and balls are hundreds of years old. To suggest that now, in 2005, they are kaput is a little silly.

I believe all my criticism is constructive, not that it makes any difference to the ones being criticized. I have no respect for Angel as a magician, because I have never seen him perform magic live. I have never seen a televised performance by him that I believed represented accurately what his performance skills are. I don't know if that's Angel's fault or if the blame lies elsewhere.

Finally, I would certainly put Criss Angel very low on the list of people who are 'keeping magic alive', at least in terms of the Mindfreak program.

Randwill
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
TheRock: Agreed. I'd like to see these disparagers come up with a levitation effect as MINDBLOWING as the one he did completely surrounded.

That said, I don't care for Criss Angel's goth style at all. But he's an amazing magician.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2005-08-13 18:59, Brian Turntime wrote:
TheRock: Agreed. I'd like to see these disparagers come up with a levitation effect as MINDBLOWING as the one he did completely surrounded.

That said, I don't care for Criss Angel's goth style at all. But he's an amazing magician.

Where did you see him perform live and what effects did you think he did well?

Randwill
cocomax
View Profile
Loyal user
North Fork, CA
285 Posts

Profile of cocomax
I do magic shows for 4 year olds to 12 year olds and they LOVE cups and balls, and linking rings, slush powder, lota bowls, rope tricks, change bags, and rice bowls.

Kids are made the same way they always have been, every magic trick they see for the first time live is new to them.

The tens of thousands of magicians that are doing school shows and little Billy's birthday party are keeping magic alive for the next generation.

I know many fans of Criss and maybe even Criss Angel himself thinks that Criss is single handedly saving magic, by bringing to the goth metal rocker youth of today. . .

If he is the great new hope of magic making a comeback, doesn't that speak LOUDLY to what people that think that think about the other tens of thousand magicians in the world?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel Mindfreak series? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18~19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL