The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel Mindfreak series? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20~21 [Next]
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
Quote:
On 2005-08-25 06:56, evanthx wrote:

The clincher was the closer of the second of the two shows I watched. A lady, supposedly a spectator though I'd lay money on her being a stooge, was selected and over a sidewalk Criss Angel levitated her. She was in a very arched pose and it just looked incredible. Feet and hair were above the ground (we were looking for a support hidden in her hair for a while but didn't see one) and I just really had that magical "no way!" feeling. It was great! We looked and looked and rewound...we did find where the support was hooked to the girl, but other than seeing something that tells us where the support was attached to her I have no idea what was holding the support up. Assuming there wasn't a crane above her with big wires that were edited out digitally (I chose to not believe that) I just have no idea.

Have a look at that girl again. I want you to especially look at her shirt she is wearing. The support is actually pushing on the shirt, giving away its location. Have a look at it again and you will see her shirt is creased at above the waist. Where she is arched, One side of her shirt is looser looking than the other. One side actually gives away the wires in the crease. It's like... the Ninja must be aware of his own shadow to be able to conceal his presence.

Me and my friends spotted that right away. The shirt is the key. And if it is wires in the configuration as that, then she was suspended. Looks great, but were the wires removed. I don't think so unless that whole audience was made up of extras (stooges)

Have a look at it again. Look at her waiste area just above the hip. The camera will pan around her showing both side of her. OOOps! One side is a little crunched as it should be if there were wires tugging at the shirt. Classic!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Do you think perhaps wires were removed with computer aid?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1278 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
You can stop the exposure now.
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
And the whining. (good luck at that one!)
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
Quote:
On 2005-08-26 00:13, troller wrote:

Have a look at that girl again. I want you to especially look at her shirt she is wearing. The support is actually pushing on the shirt, giving away its location.

Like I said, I could see where the harness was attached to the girl...but I did not see anything holding the harness up. Even you seemed to admit you couldn't see any wires. So we know there was a harness, but we knew that anyway. Unless everyone in the shot was a stooge and there were big wires that were removed digitally...I'm still fooled. I didn't see anything holding the harness up.

And I'm not asking for how it's done, just saying that I loved the effect and I really have no idea what was holding her up.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2005-08-29 10:24, evanthx wrote:

And I'm not asking for how it's done, just saying that I loved the effect and I really have no idea what was holding her up.

Something above her, just out of frame? Just a really wild, wild guess you understand.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1116 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
We are so blessed and fortunate just to be able to experience the creativity and hard work of others who dare to dream. Here's a crazy thought for those who really believe magic has a higher purpose... maybe a whole bunch of magicians should get together and produce a show that really made a positive impact on world poverty or something like that. Now that would be REAL MAGIC for the hungry kids. We might actually feel so rewarded by this that we forget for a moment our self indulgent views on 'who is the greatest' and why. Should all forms of entertainment not 'give' something to those experiencing it? I'm sure Criss is doing his utmost to 'give' the audience the most mindfreaking experience he can deliver and he is using every possible element available to him to do this. Let's just appreciate what a creative and hard working young guy can achieve with determination and vision for what HE wants to create. You don't have to watch, really! But I bet you will.

Posted: Aug 30, 2005 3:03am
We are so blessed and fortunate just to be able to experience the creativity and hard work of others who dare to dream. Here's a crazy thought for those who really believe magic has a higher purpose... maybe a whole bunch of magicians should get together and produce a show that really made a positive impact on world poverty or something like that. Now that would be REAL MAGIC for the hungry kids. We might actually feel so rewarded by this that we forget for a moment our self indulgent views on 'who is the greatest' and why. Should all forms of entertainment not 'give' something to those experiencing it? I'm sure Criss is doing his utmost to 'give' the audience the most mindfreaking experience he can deliver and he is using every possible element available to him to do this. Let's just appreciate what a creative and hard working young guy can achieve with determination and vision for what HE wants to create. You don't have to watch, really! But I bet you will...
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
Quote:
On 2005-08-29 16:57, Randwill wrote:
Something above her, just out of frame? Just a really wild, wild guess you understand.

Had to be something above her or below her, yeah...but you're assuming that everyone around was a stooge and it was all a big set? That would be disappointing. And I'm also thinking it's the easy explanation - it's all just a camera trick, no need to be impressed?
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
I read someplace that David Blaine went around doing the Balducci and they caught the audience reaction on tape. They then edited a small piece of Blaine levitating using a harness and it was at least 2 feet in the air. What you see in Blaine's video is exactly what you get in Angel's special, an effect that looks so cool. People feaking out that he levitated and it was just the Balducci. When we see a flash of him levitating 2 feet in the air, we all think this is what the audience saw. Appreciate the fact that it is on TV and anything is possible on TV.

The effect was what was important. Not the way the end result was accomplished. It not only provided the needed publicity, but it also allowed for someone like Criss Angel to come out with his own version and it was 5 feet in the air!!! Amazing none the less.

It doesn't matter how it was accomplished really. As long as it looked good. Some are saying that they are disappointed if it was TV trickery. But, then again, a lot of people are warned that once they open the Elevator levitation gimmick, don't freak out and demand your money back!!!!! IT is not me saying that, but the website where the elevator is being sold. There are a lot of tricks that once discovered, take away the amazement of the effect. Hey, we are all magicians here so we can appreciate the fact that our magic come from CONJURING!
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2005-08-31 13:27, evanthx wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-29 16:57, Randwill wrote:

Had to be something above her or below her, yeah...but you're assuming that everyone around was a stooge and it was all a big set? That would be disappointing. And I'm also thinking it's the easy explanation - it's all just a camera trick, no need to be impressed?

Well, I'm guessing the support is above her because I can see below her. I can't see above her.

The fact that people were at the location watching has nothing to do with the method. You are assuming he did the trick for those people and was taped while he did it. In fact the trick was taped specifically for televison presentation and onlookers being present wouldn't enter into the equation in any way. Except that their presence might make some television viewers believe that there was no visible support structure above her, because, oh my!, that would give it away to a few dozen onlookers.

Randwill
SOHA
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
178 Posts

Profile of SOHA
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, I'm guessing the support is above her because I can see below her. I can't see above her.

The fact that people were at the location watching has nothing to do with the method. You are assuming he did the trick for those people and was taped while he did it. In fact the trick was taped specifically for televison presentation and onlookers being present wouldn't enter into the equation in any way. Except that their presence might make some television viewers believe that there was no visible support structure above her, because, oh my!, that would give it away to a few dozen onlookers.

Randwill
[/quote]

I don't see anything wrong with trying to explain something that we don't understand. (even if our conclusion may be way off)But it gives us back that sence of control over everything we think we know. Specially if we have some knowledge of "magical secrets" and besides that we think we know everything and refuse to accept that we just can't explain it. We don't want to feel inferior to nobody or anything else.
The sad part, in that respect, is that we loose the enjoyment and awe, and reduce it to..."How is it done?"
At least in your post, (maybe unconciously) you seem to understand that it doesn't matter the method but the end result which is to effectively transmit that sense of wonder through the tv screen into the viewer.
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
And he's wrong. But don't tell him! It's much more fun to let him talk like that.
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
Wrong? Which part? I too agree that the lev was a TV thing and that some editing was done. Make him look good. If you ever meet him in the street, ask him to perform the feat and see what he says!

Posted: Oct 12, 2005 8:05pm
Found this link to someone doing the Criss Angel restrauant lev. It is quite qood. And of course I see that it does not use wires in this one. So is it the Icarus Effect done backwards/forwards?

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2EL2G......L5DY03YW

Check out the video and let me know if it is the same.
SnakeBabe
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
90 Posts

Profile of SnakeBabe
Does anyone know it the segments with the scorpions or snakes has aired?

Hugs and Hissessss,
Maria
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Yeah snake babe it has for sure.

I forgot tho which one it was..... Maybe the suv nail bed. I might be wrong tho...

But yeah it has.

Oh yeah in the preview on a&e there is this hatching scorpion from an egg. That has not aired from what I know.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I can't talk about it other than to say you guys are all wrong about the girl levi on the street... a real audience, not stooges, and they could see nothing. No camera tricks.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1160 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Troller, isn't that kind of like saying " if you meet so and so, ask him to perform the zig zag in the street?" or "if you see him in street, ask him to perform the bowling ball from drawing?" and ... well you get the idea, it is illogical to think and illusionist can just instantly perform any effect you see in his stage show at any time anywhere. I can't even perform card at any number without a deck of cards Smile

By the way, it was announced today that Criss takes the Magician award of the year, so he must be doing something right Smilehttp://magic.about.com/od/biosonfamousmagicians/a/2005magicyear.htm
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
Quote:
On 2005-10-13 21:34, Pete Biro wrote:
I can't talk about it other than to say you guys are all wrong about the girl levi on the street... a real audience, not stooges, and they could see nothing. No camera tricks.

The girl that Criss Angel uses to do the levitation in front of the theatre, outdoors, is the same girl he uses to do the levitation in another street lev. Even though Criss picks her out of the audience and asks her whether she know him or not and she said NO!

This is the girl that has her legs crossed that everyone that see it seems to think that she crosses her legs one way at one camera angle and another way when the camera is looking at a different angle. She is also the same girl that is wearing clothes that give away the wires pulling her up.

Now, what were you saying about no stooges or actors?
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
I think Britany Spears has won many Industry awards...............
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
I'm guessing a big part of selecting an annual winner has to do with who is getting the most media exposure at that particular time and thus promoting the art of magic to the general public.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel Mindfreak series? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL