The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Famous people who practice the art (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
I'm not sure where to put this, so I just put it here.

Is there someone we see all the time, but have no idea they practice sleight of hand?

I noticed in the movie "Bottle Rocket", that James Caan is casually fanning a deck of cards in a conversation at a dinner table. He also closes them one-handed. I've seen the movie a hundred times it seems, and I never caught it before.

Another one is Val Kilmer in the movie, "Real Genius." He is doing two-handed coin rolls very technically correct, and clean. Then he uses the roll to vanish one of the coins. It looks great, and I have doubt that it was learned for the movie as it was again, just casually done, and not much attention paid to it.

So I am curious, are there any others out there that some of you may be aware of? Maybe you know the story behind them as well, how they got started, and the like.

I know Carson was a working magician, so it leaves me wondering if anyone else in the limelight practices our fun little art.
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Here is a thread that deals with this subject with a few links to various other threads as well.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
I'm not talking about what people have seen on movies.

I'm talking about famous people that do magic. Like Tom Cruise, or Harrison Ford, you know?

I only thought of the question from seeing a movie, that's why I mentioned the movies.

So, anybody know of someone famous that does magic, that maybe most people are unaware of?
JT Kordesich
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh
118 Posts

Profile of JT Kordesich
Orson Welles was an amateur magician...and the former Notre Dame coach(cant recall his name)did a tron and restored newspaper during a motivational speech I saw on a video in school. My friends kept asking me if I could do it haha
Illusion: Reality in the mind of the audience.
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
As I said, there are many links within that thread. Like this one about celebrities who do magic as a hobby: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Ah ha, my own search was fruitless. Seems I left out the word, "celebrities."

Thanks, that's pretty fun to see who else has spent some time behind a deck of cards.
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
No problem.

It is interesting to see who enjoys the art even though their employment is in other fields.
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
I still want to pick up a copy of Harry Anderson's Hello Sucker.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Prince Charles,Michael Jackson-although I don't know if that's famous or imfamous.
Andre
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
General Stormin' Norman' is an excellent card and coin close-up magician
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Michael Jackson loves magic - ALOT.

So much so that he even has his own PERSONAL MAGICIAN.

That's right, a personal magician, imagine what he gets paid...

Anyway, the guy is a close family friend and goes by the name of Majestik Magnificent or something like that.
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1227 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Right now Michael is performing in a "piece" that could be one of the greatest escapes ever.

Maybe his personal magician - Majestik Malignant - got paid with the same bananas that old Bubbles did!

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
HAHAHA!The above post rocks!Michael Jackson can be seen in The Magic of Michael Ammar(just a photo of him with Ammar and other magicians).
Andre
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
Apparently, Prince Charles is a member of the Magic Circle, he performed cups & balls at his audition!

peter
"technique is science.
the application of technique is art."

peter teagle
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Quote:
On 2005-05-14 08:07, handmadeinwales wrote:
Apparently, Prince Charles is a member of the Magic Circle, he performed cups & balls at his audition!

peter

You could pull a coin of significant size from behind those ears. Smile

Dave.
SanCho14jfm
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
244 Posts

Profile of SanCho14jfm
Oscar award winning actor Adrian Brody was a student at Tannens Magic camp for a number of years. He is probably an avid magician.
SanCho
J3
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
170 Posts

Profile of J3
I saw steve martin doing a good 2 handed fan when he was on ellen, I didn't get to see the whole clip but ellen said he did a card trick(she was showing a clip from an earlier show), so he might know a thing or 2.
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
Actually, it's common knowledge that Steve Martin is a magician. If I'm not mistaken, that was his first profession. Think Johnny Carson.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Mohammed Ali and George H. W. Bush (the Senior Bush).
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
There's an interesting book I found about Steve Martin's Magic career I suppose. He was the GREAT FLYDINI.

http://www.stevemartinmagicyears.com/chap1.htm

According to my violin teacher, Nathan Milstein (one of the great violinists of the last century) he would be seen doing magic for other musicians during rehersal breaks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Famous people who practice the art (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL