The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » #^$*&#^@%@&#!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Last night I was leaving for the Magic Castle and as I was getting into my car, I realized I had left my wallet upstairs in the house. I ran in the house, grabbed my wallet and kissed my wife. Went downstairs and found that everything in my car of value had been stolen!!!

$400 bucks worth of magic stuff and $350 worth of other stuff my wife calls "Cosmetics". Drove to the Magic Castle anyway, bought $100 worth of cards at retail on the way and STILL did 4 killer sets.

How? Saved the receipt. Told the audience the entire story and made one
of the spectators read the amount, date and time on the receipt. And THEN
I pointed out that he forgot a line on the receipt...

"Oh yes", he'd say "Preferred Customer"....

Tons of laughs, but none worth $750.00

So if any of you live in the area of Ventura County and see someone carrying a Joe Porper Card Clip who doesn't know what it is-- Call me.

Steven Youell
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
Do you think it was stolen while you were getting your wallet or kissing your wife? Any regrets?
JT Kordesich
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh
118 Posts

Profile of JT Kordesich
I've had stuff stolen before(magic and money), but never from a car. Props to you for recovering though.
Illusion: Reality in the mind of the audience.
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
311 Posts

Profile of xformer7
I'll bet that you can build quite a reputation in prison with Scruffy.

Hoping you find the !@#%%$#@$#@$!!!...
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Steve, I am so sorry to hear that. FWIW, maybe this will cheer you up. I did a stand up show for a family reunion of about 100 people. Nobody else at the park. After me show, I packed everything up in my suitcase table, padlocked it and set it to the side of the picnic shelter, as my car was several blocks away. I spent the next several hours playing softball, volleyball, etc. When I went to get the case, it was GONE! Everyone did a thorough serach of the park, but nothing. No one had left, so we knew it wasn't anyone from the family. We called the cops and filed a report with the description of the case and contents. (The Lefler case alone was worth about $400, besides all the props inside--wel over $1500!) Nothing.

TWO AN A HALF YEARS LATER I get a call from a magic buddy in Boise. "Didn't you say you had a full suitcase table stolen a while back? Can you describe it and what was in it?" I do. Turns out a guy was at a county auction (totally different county about 30-45 minutes away from where it was stolen), and there was this "recovered case of magic tricks without instructions" up for bid. He got the whole shebang for $50, but didn't know how any of it worked. He went to the same church as my friend, so called my friend and came over to have him show him how the stuff worked. I went over, Paid the guy $150 for his trouble, and got it all back! I am truly blessed!

So, don't give up hope, my friend. The Lord works in mysterioua ways!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Alex R
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Alex R
Hi Steve,

I saw your first set last night. I was sitting right in front of you -- the guy who remembered your name and so threw off your joke about remembering names.

Sorry about your lost case. If it's any consolation, my guests thought you were great.

Best,

Alex
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2005-05-13 19:01, Alex R wrote:
Hi Steve,

I saw your first set last night. I was sitting right in front of you -- the guy who remembered your name and so threw off your joke about remembering names

Hey Alex-- believe it or not, that joke only works about 30% of the time. It used
to work all the time but now for some reason people are starting to remember the
name.... <sigh>

Steven Youell
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1081 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I personally know about 10 professional magicians who have had their magic props stolen by having their cars broken into. In fact, I was at a lecture a while back and Johnny Ace Palmer told us that he had his close-up case stolen from his vehicle (he had his F.I.S.M. cups in the case!!)

I know that this kind of stuff can happen anywhere, but it seems like if you live in Southern California it's not a matter of it "can" happen to you, but rather "when" is it going to happen to you. Been there, done that. It's getting old real fast! Way to go on making lemonade out of a lemon, though.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Well, I know how you feel Steve. Coz it also happened to me. I was in a party and I did a couple of close up routines and after that I placed my stuff into their case and put it in a corner where I thought it wouldn't be noticed. But when the time came for me to go home I couldn't find it anymore. I just wished the person who got it got some luck figuring out some of the tricks there. And I hoped he made a fortune out of it!
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Laird
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
124 Posts

Profile of Laird
That's where a vest comes in handy.
It's never to late to have a happy childhold!
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1479 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Greg Wilson keeps all of his props for his shows in his pockets. Sorry to hear about your loss Steven. :-(
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Terrible stories here...

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
If you do not have all the receipts for what you had stolen for the insurance people:
Tell the suppliers what has occurred and you need a replacement receipt and you will reorder the stuff from them when you get paid from the insurance.
Are you sure it was only $750. It might well have been more after you have thought about it and remembered some items that you have not recalled losing.

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
My renters insurance covers my props for up $1500 if they are stolen "off premises" (ie not in the apartment). They are covered for more if they are stolen at home. This didn't cost any more and because we got our renters at the same place as our car insurance (State Farm) they discounted the car insurance more then the cost of the renters insurance. So we were got the policy for "free."
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14040 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Had some magic stolen from my carin the big city once....after being maced and mugged first. DEFINITELY not my idea of fun.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
I was there to see that show and Steve had a killer set indeed. Congratulations! What a real pro. Thanks for taking time out to show me the mongrel pass in between sets.

Peace!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Many years ago I had a converted school bus which had all my magic and a stereo system. Some one broke in and stole everything. The next morining, I found a trail of my magic, silks and stuff, including the suitcase it was stored.

I never recoverd the stereo system, but did get back most of my magic. Since the stereo system wasn't hooked up in the bus, the insurance covered that loss minus the deductable. I was fortunate to get it back.

Hopefully, you will get back what you lost!
Dennis Michael
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Watch E-bay. It will all probably show up there sooner or later. Hear a housewife in NJ chased down the stuff ripped off from her by watching E-bay. Maybe you can too.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
2 bad stories: 1) had my entire close up act stolen from the back of my car once - they busted out the window and took the brief case that it was in. A Rings and Things original Chop Cup, original Mirrissey Combo Cups (from 1970) in Copper (solid), you get the idea. Not fun.

Then, at a Collector's Weekend in Chicago, I was the guy who had my Balducci Wallet pickpocketed from me during the convention! Someone found it outside and returned it to me, with everything still IN it! (I never keep cash in my wallet anyway, so I ws at least covered there!), but I was worried about ID theft, etc.)

I can commiserate, believe me! It's also why I NEVER check my closeup case through the airport baggage check! I've heard too many stories!

I hope yours has a happier ending!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I heard of a guy who's little brother destroyed over $1500 worth of books and DVDs.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » #^$*&#^@%@&#!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL