The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » More Advice For The Billet Student (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Quote:
On 2005-05-17 18:31, RJ_Silmser wrote:
So I guess I am a true billet reader and not a mind reader, as I focus on the billet and not trying to convince the audience I can read their minds, it's not the idea I want to put across to the audience.

Gee, and I thought that we were discussing mentalism. But whatever floats your boat.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
See...there goes the ego. (now I know why I like Escape Artists better than mental performers) Yes, we are talking about mentalism...and right now, I was talking about my brand of Mentalism and how I do it. It's why I started the thread. Since it's obviously so different from everyone else's (so I see), it should be talked about.

~Rick~

Posted: May 17, 2005 8:49pm
I must be speaking Swahili here or something. Once again and one last time, I'll try to explain.

Pretend this thread is like a book, written by me, about how "I" do billets on stage. And try to imagine that it's written for the people who have sent me lots and lots of e-mail asking all kinds of questions about "my" brand of billet work that has been successful and well recieved where ever I play .

This thread is not trying to prove my way is the end all. it's only a description of what I do with billets, for those who are interested in knowing my work.

Now, lets look at this example...3 magicians, all do livestock magic. 1 does doves, another does parrots and the 3rd. does canaries. 1 uses a left pull, the other uses a right pull,the 3rd. uses a production box. Who out of these 3 is doing it the right way ?

Answer : they all are, each one is just doing it a differently from the other.

Well same with me and the other guys here. They say I'm wrong by putting my focus on the billet. Well I'm not wrong, I'm just different in my way of thinking than they are and they are having a hard time with my way of thinking.

They can't prove I'm wrong, just like I can't prove I'm right...simply because there is no right or wrong here...just "different".

~Rick~
"A man is only as young as the woman he feels"

-Groucho Marx-
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
You've missed the point. No one is disputing that this is YOUR way of doing things. God only knows you've said it enough times. However, by putting your comments into a 'discussion' forum you are inviting comments and discussion both agreeing with your way or disagreeing with it. What I and others find disconcerting is insulting those that disagree with you, branding them 'amateurs' and 'wannabes' amongst other things especially when some of these people have as much right to their views as you do. You think, you are right, they think they are right, but no one has gone on to resort to name calling except you, especially since you take great pride in preaching the perils of getting insulting and personal when having a civilised discussion.
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
Well, Don...and this is not directed at you either, Sir,...the old expression goes
"If the shoe fits, wear it"

Most of these guys aren't working professionals, they are armchair Mentalists who do a lot of reading and buy a lot of effects and talk to the other armchair guys here, it's a clique. Sure they may do shows now and then, but that, by far, does not make them experts or working professionals. And there is no shame in that either...it's a hobby.

I can tell who they are just by how they talk about Mentalism...they all know who's doing what and who has new effects out, but they offer nothing as far as experience in performing them goes, Some may, but most don't.

All I see when someone asks a question is..."read such and such book" or "so and so talks about that on his DVD". that's all they can offer.

Then I come along, offer my help and preach from experience that gimmicks and doing the other guys routine is a bad way to go and to think for themself...and they freak out, the guys who can do nothing but direct one another to books and DVD's !!! that's halarious ! At least I tried to offer my experience.

And here endeth the lesson.

~Rick~

-Groucho Marx-
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I'm a newbie to mentalism and billets and I learned the CT from Banachek. I don't try to be like him in anyway though. There is nothing wrong with learning from these books and dvds, but I believe we should put our own twists on it and not try to be a carbon copy of the one from whom we learned. Take what you learn, and make it YOU. That has worked for me and served me well thus far. As for performing for retarded monkeys, I have done that and they have been quite a terrific audience. Smile

:cheers:

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
Hi Phil...

That is great advice and it's one of the things I believe in...take something and make it your own.

~Rick~

-Groucho Marx-
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1342 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Rick, just keep on teaching your way, and give no heed to those who've become so institutionalized that they've lost their roots, not to mention their flexibility. When it comes to billets, my friend, you're easily one of the most knowledgeable guys hanging around this forum, and I've learned a ton from you.

What's really interesting is that your first instructional post on this thread drew raves of appreciation and more eager questions from those wanting to learn, until some naysayers popped up saying, "hey, that's not how we do it nowadays," and now everyone's against you! How absurd. Just because Alain Bellon and other experts don't focus on the billet, doesn't make it any less "mentalism" to do so. We're all doing Mystery Entertainment in some form. Richard Osterlind focuses intensely on billets with his tear, even says he needs to touch it, but you don't see these guys saying HE's not a mentalist. And Richard Osterlind has given high praise to YOU!

You have an assertive personality, and some touchy people allow themselves to become offended with that, but I think you've taken the criticism here (and elsewhere) with absolute class, and that's the measure of a man. Personally, I think it is greatly enlightening, not to mention hilarious, that even though you've been doing your act the "wrong" way for 23 years, it's been working brilliantly and audiences love it! Boy, the so-called "experts" always get riled up when that happens.

The funny thing is, these same types who criticize your style here are the ones who always tell newbies to study Annemann and Corrinda, and laud Bert Reese, which is rather odd considering the contempt they seem to have for the old methods... I know you don't really give a hoot about the naysayers, but you've given away so much of your knowledge and time that it would be immoral not to show some support for you here. Keep entertaining audiences with billets YOUR way; let the others whine about what it should be called. Lots of us enjoy learning from you, precisely *because* you swim against the current of accepted wisdom.

Seth
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Well said and written, Seth...I second that! I notice too that many armchair guys like to "split hairs" on some issues. Such "much a do about nothing!" To be honest, this is one (of several) reasons why I am not a big magic club kinda guy. Too easy to get caught up in the manusha that is sometimes rather deep.

Rick, I sent you an email about your second lesson on billets..hope you got it ok. Though I am sure you probably have a lot to get to. Keep doin it your way, pal!

Sincerly,
Mark
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I too have to give you kudos Rick. I don't know you that well (yet) but hopefully when you get a minute you could take me under your wing. I know a little about billets but not much as I am just starting out. As I stated before, I learned from Steve Banachek, but I am still wanting to learn different and more efficient methods of the CT. From what I hear from those singing your praises, you have quite a powerful routine, and for those who have learned from you I am jealous. Maybe someday I will learn, but until then, I will keep doing it the way I learned and applying my own twists and turns. As the saying goes..... "practice makes perfect"!

:cheers:

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
I'm speechless....thank you.

It's because of fellows like you with an attitude like that, that keeps me wanting to come back and "give it another try" when it comes to teaching the grass roots of our art.

Thanks again, fellows.

~Rick~

-Groucho Marx-
green4magic
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of green4magic
To those who say Rick's only supporters are amateurs, beginners and armchair mentalists, Rick has many professionals on his side.

I have been a professional performing mentalist for over 30 years, making a good living at it, and we use basically the same tried and true methods.

Rick's is offering ADVISE FOR THE BILLET STUDENT that is of value to anyone DOING a billet act or using billets professionally. He is giving that others might learn from his experience.

When will the law firm of ZABEL, CARTER & RAZZANO, for they sound like ones setting down the laws of mentalism, be providing us with their individual and/or collective BULLET TUTORIALS here as Rick has graciously done so often.

Rick, Thank you for all you have given to Billet Students. Those of us who are big enough to put their egos aside and are willing to learn say Please keep up your good work for all our benefit. Even those who do not appreciate it.

To the Law firm of ZABEL, CARTER & RAZZANO

We Billet Students await your wisdom and Tutorials
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
LOL Law firm! That is just too funny!! Thank you for your kind words, I greatly appreciate it. BTW check out my new website.

~Rick~

-Groucho Marx-
green4magic
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of green4magic
Rick

The new website is priceless.

It is must reading for all billet workers.

Follow Rick's website address above.

Thank you for clearing up this contraversy once and for all!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Checking it out, thanks!

Candini the Great (also known as Decomposed)

PS: Checked it out, my sides are hurting:)

Posted: May 18, 2005 2:38pm
Rick,

I had a clipboard ready and all getting ready to do a birthday party at an office for a 34 yr old. I need to work some more on it though so will settle for Q n A today.

Plus, they use English as a second language, better stay safe with one question:)

Still on the back burner though!

Decomposed
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
Candini...you kill me sometimes...glad you enjoyed it, I had fun doing it.

~Rick~

-Groucho Marx-
Conus
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of Conus
The Web site is high hilarity, Rick.

"Show the bloody billet!"
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Great website Rick. I'm still laughing! Smile The grunting look on your face is the same look I had a couple of months ago when I ate two blocks of cheese for dinner. Smile

Phil

Albert Einstein
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Me too.
I have to admit that I've found Rick's ideas and advice on billets to be very useful and I really enjoyed the site.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Quote:
On 2005-05-18 13:48, green4magic wrote:
When will the law firm of ZABEL, CARTER & RAZZANO, for they sound like ones setting down the laws of mentalism, be providing us with their individual and/or collective BULLET TUTORIALS here as Rick has graciously done so often.

This is quite frustrating, because this is exactly what I am/was trying to argue against! Bonzo replied with a point of view that was different and was immediately slammed for it--which I think is highly unfair. In reality, what he was trying to say was not that radically different from things Rick has said in another thread regarding billet work. All Bonzo was trying to do was expand the discussion, and instead abuse was heaped upon him.

Rick is absolutely to be applauded for sharing his ideas. There's really not all that much that I would disagree with regarding his approach to billets, and what little there might be that I would disagree with can certainly be attributed to different personal approaches. There is no one "right way."

I am very turned off by the atmosphere on the Café in which, whenever somebody has a question or offers a differing perspective, he is told that he is a rank amateur who is incapable of comprehending the 'truth,' whatever that may be. If you feel that I am contributing to that atmosphere, then I am sorry, because that was exactly the opposite of my intent. I would ask that you re-read my posts to see if perhaps you are mistaking my meaning. If you can show me where and how I created that impression for you, please do, because then maybe I can figure out how to write it better the next time.

My issue has only been with Rick's ongoing verbal abuse of anybody who tosses in a differing perspective.

--Chris

Quote:
On 2005-05-18 13:50, green4magic wrote:
To the Law firm of ZABEL, CARTER & RAZZANO

We Billet Students await your wisdom and Tutorials

Although this is a complete misrepresentation of my posts on this topic, I've decided to take you up on this. My "laws" are on display in Inner Thoughts.

--Christopher Carter, (From the Law Firm of Carter, Zabel & Razzano Smile )
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of mdspark
WWDD? - What Would Dunninger Do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » More Advice For The Billet Student (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL