The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » More Advice For The Billet Student (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
Dunninger would not have put up with any of these guys who even questioned his work. This much I do know. I didn't know him but I knew his widow very well. If Mrs.D was still alive and someone spoke of her husbands work the way some of these guys speak of mine...s**t would have hit the fan !

~Rick~
"A man is only as young as the woman he feels"

-Groucho Marx-
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
I have posted my reply in inner thoughts:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=0#20

Marc Climens
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
A clown critic.

~Rick~

-Groucho Marx-
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Quote:
On 2005-05-18 13:48, green4magic wrote:
Rick's is offering ADVISE FOR THE BILLET STUDENT that is of value to anyone DOING a billet act or using billets professionally. He is giving that others might learn from his experience.

When will the law firm of ZABEL, CARTER & RAZZANO, for they sound like ones setting down the laws of mentalism, be providing us with their individual and/or collective BULLET TUTORIALS here as Rick has graciously done so often.

While I appreciate being included in the company of such illustrious mentalists, I don't like being characterized as one who simply must force his ideas down someone's throat. I was only offering a differing opinion to that of Mr. Silmser.

However, in the Inner Thoughts part of this board, I have included a new thread that expands a bit on what I was trying to get across earlier in this particular thread.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Quote:
On 2005-05-19 02:23, RJ_Silmser wrote:
Dunninger would not have put up with any of these guys who even questioned his work. This much I do know. I didn't know him but I knew his widow very well. If Mrs.D was still alive and someone spoke of her husbands work the way some of these guys speak of mine...s**t would have hit the fan !

~Rick~

Kind of what I expected..keep up the great work, Rick.

Mr. D. is probably turning over in his grave right now!
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
Mr.D dosen't have a grave, he was creamated.

~Rick~

-Groucho Marx-
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Umm...returning the thread to its orgins: and adding another opinion to the lot:

Thank you very much for sharing a very valuable course of action on stage. Please understand that your audience is actually the folks who agree with you, not those who don't, as they have their own muses and directions. Please keep talking to those who agree with you.

By its nature, the Café seems to continually create spiralling distractions of blue smoke rhetoric and bogs down in offers of opinions on side subjects that pop up during the conversatoin. As we all know, it is easy to get sidetracked.

It seems to me that once you get onstage with a fistfull of billets, the trick AM whatever you SAY it am! If I say it is reading directly from the little piece of paper in my hand in front of me, then that's the power. If I say I am picking up the thoughts of the writer, then that's what it am. If I say that the paper is absolute proof of my precognitive dreams and meditations the night before, Then that's that the gag is. It simply matters little your explanations of the power/ability. They buy it or not.

Arguing about the definition of the powers displayed is pretty bizaare, as is saying some explanations are within the confines of the definition of Mentalism, while others are not.

I think a good prerequisite of any mentalist might should be sitting in the pews of any hot Spiritualist church fora month or so, to see very clearly what the audience believes, remembers, sees, wants, accepts...etc. The energy is surprising.

Again, thank you for parting with money making information that would take years of experience to learn...reducing complexities to simplicities seems to be the hardest of thing to accomlish. Thanks.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Tom,

Some fine thoughts.

Went to revivals as a kid.

Had an aunt who was a medium/reader in Casadega Florida.

You are correct it all comes down to energy.
And ones abilty to manipulate it.

Unfortunatly that cannot be taught.

But it can be learened. Your suggestions are right on the mark.

Best Wishes

Jack
H.O.A.X
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Quote:
On 2005-05-19 18:57, RJ_Silmser wrote:
Mr.D dosen't have a grave, he was creamated.

~Rick~

That's very interesting Rick. Do you know what ultimately happend to his ashes?
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Two questions/observations:

Seems to me that if one is a "billet" reader, the method is the effect. Where is the mystery?

And I guess I'm also left to ask the question, which is more interesting to an audience member, seeing a performer who can tell you what you write on a piece of paper, or meeting a man who can tell you your thoughts?
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
I have an observation/question too--

What do audiences talk about...
what impresses them??

Is the act rebooked?
To me, that is the primary question...

Tom
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
RickSilmser wrote:
Quote:
Dunninger would not have put up with any of these guys who even questioned his work. This much I do know. I didn't know him but I knew his widow very well. If Mrs.D was still alive and someone spoke of her husbands work the way some of these guys speak of mine...**** would have hit the fan!

My response: Dunninger was a household name in the U.S. at the time he was performing. He proved himself time and time again, on radio, television and on live stages to be a Master of his craft. He invented the modern, one-man Q&A presentation. He was a cultured, well-spoken man who earned the respect of audiences and performers alike. He also earned top dollar from pretty early on in his career.

To compare your "work" with his is perhaps making a bold but foolhardy leap from self-confidence to self-delusion.

-entity

P.S. : That sound you heard after Silmer's above-quoted post was Duninger's ashes spinning maddly in their urn.

Before Rick and the S.S. (Silsmer Supporters) jump on me, let me apologize for mis-spelling Dunninger at the end of the above post. I'm in a rush to leave, and it was a typo.

- entity
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Thomas,

Is the epitome of success being rebooked? I know clowns in this area who work constantly, partly because they have a serviceable show composed of standard - but workable - material, and partly because they charge less than everyone else.

The question should be, which do audience's remember MORE? What is the ideal performance I can give? Is this the best someone can do, and am I offering excuses or seriously striving to be the best?
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
There are probably as many definitions of success as there are working performers. For some, no doubt, "fame" is equivalent to success. Being able to pay your bills doing something you love is another definition. Being able to pay your bills and having plenty left over to save and spend is yet another.

Presumably, if you're being rebooked, you're not putting on a workmanlike show, but rather one that your client is proud to feature again and again.

--Josh
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
No, Josho. There is nothing wrong with a workman show. I could train a competant human being to do Whit Haydn's Linking Ring Routine, Scott Alexander's Bill in Lemon, and a brief musical number featuring a Chalet Dove to Balloon and Grant Nite CLub dove vanish.

That act, performed with competance, would easily make money AND would probably be better than a lot of other performer's acts. However, that act is the act of a "journeyman" (read workman). It would get rebooked because it filled a need. But is it a contribution to our art? Could we strive for more?

But yes, I agree success comes at different levels for different people. If "getting rebooked" is the measure of success, then that reveals something about the level of one's commitment to the art and the ideals of one's vision.

If your goal is to get "rebooked" then being a guy who does the clever act of "knowing what you wrote on the inside of a piece of paper" might just be enough. But if your goal is to be a "mind reader" and give people an experience of wonder that relates to them and their lives...then perhaps a different course of action should be taken.

Brad
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
Who is Rick Silmser ?

Rick Silmser has been a private entertainer, exclusively at resorts. Actually, it was only supposed to be a 2 1/2 month contract. That contract ended 12 years later. I have retired from show business full time to do my talk radio show.

I still do shows, again, still a private entertainer...using the Psi-Graphico system.

That's who Rick Silmser is. Oh yes, Rick Silmser is also an excellent billet reader...so said Richard Ireland when he saw me perform one evening when I lived in Phoenix. It was the best compliment I've ever had.

Some of you guys are trying too hard to try to discredit me...lol!

~Rick~

Posted: May 21, 2005 12:00am
----------------------------------------
Oh yes, I have no problem with the use of props, but I do have a very big problem with the use of unneeded, do-dingle, gimmicky props that scream magic shop.

~Rick~

-Groucho Marx-
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
No one is trying to discredit you Rick - that's just paranoid. All that they asking is that if we are to take your advice with anything other than a pinch of salt, we need to know the credentials behind the man who has proclaimed himself 'the master billet reader'.
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...thats too funny !!!
To be honest with you, every single word I ever posted here concerning billet work, came out of a book, I actually sell shoes.

Ummmm, read my stuff...that can only come from someone who has experience. Am I well known ? Hell no, it was not my intent. I have been a private entertainer most of my carreer, it's how I wanted to do it. I love the billet routine and I swore I'd make it my living and I did. And I made enough money over the years to pay cash for my house and live very well. I ended up gaving the house to my ex-wife in the divorce...LOL ! Next time, instead of getting married, I'll buy a house, find a woman who hates my guts , and just give her the house.

~Rick~

-Groucho Marx-
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Rick,

The pro's have been exiting in droves because of being censored mostly.

I am still here just for the shear fun of it.

I have as per my promo offered over 250,000.00 to prove I am the real deal.
I do what I say I can.

Can you?

I have an idea I will post my vid of the Deja -Vue Experiment you post a vid of your work.
Lets see what people think.

I know you like to pose and pretend that because you courted Joe Dunningers widow you are some sort of divine messenger.
Unfortunately you did not get the message from Joe.

I did and only read about him.
He got the message from P.T.

I have stayed out of allot of this sewage but I have once again had enough and it's time to pull the plug.

Why in the name of man Jesus would any one still use billets.
I know Jo Dunninger did but good god, that was along time ago.

As you pointed out Joe aint nothing but a fist of ashes.

Let it go and move forward.

Rant over. Say Halleluiah

Jack

H.O.A.X
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Billets dead? Kreskin still uses them. So does Lee Earle in his Superscript routine. Ostilind proves they still work in his presentation of Annemann's Question and the Answer on his DVD.. One can always argue about presentation...but billets dead? or outdated? I have to laugh.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » More Advice For The Billet Student (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL