The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spectators think silverware is gimmicked? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
For what it’s worth, when table-hopping, my teaspoons are made up in bundles of eleven, held by an elastic band and carried in my trouser pocket. (Hey, I bet THAT looks good!) The top one is just a plain ol’ spoon, then a pre-s*******, then plain and so on. This means after each table I strip the top two spoons off, and slip them into my jacket pocket. This leaves me with three spoons, and a series of bends, for the “top” table. That’s for table-hopping when the tables are well-spaced. Each table gets two, maybe three effects, then I’m off.

The biggest thrill for me, however, is towards the end of the evening – whether it’s been mix and mingle or the show – when people seek me out. I always have something for them; the most appreciative section of the audience.

Best wishes,

Drew
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-06-23 09:09, sjdavison wrote:
I agree Richard - I personally feel too many effects make specific effects become blended together in a haze of 'having their mind read'. This reminds me of Paul Harris' writing in AOA, when he says 'to nurture as much astonishment as you can, then restart over again with another spark'. I think this is very true.

As an aside Richard after your point, out of curiosity, if someone asked you to perform and you only wanted to do three effects, which would you do?! I'd be interested to know - you have a lot out there! (my prediction - ooh, let's see - PCT, BCS effect, Miracle thought projection? Or am I way off?!!!!)

Simon

Simon,

Believe it or not, your questions catches me off guard. I guess I just don't think that way and sort of ad lib what I do when. I guess it would depend on if I were just walking around in an everyday fashion or if it were at a formal show.

I do my center tear more than anything else and use whatever paper is available. (I know I have already mentioned using magazine inserts on planes.)

I like bending effects, but would probably just bend a penny if I could only do 3 effects.

Finally, I would probably do my watch effect. I actually do that a lot in impromptu situations. It is like a giant stage production done up close.

Notice that I have given you 3 items that I could do anywhere, anytime without any props being carried around or in ones pockets.

Richard
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Thanks Richard and Drew for your replies especially.
Great question Simon - and I agree (like Im going to disagree Smile ) with Richard that the watch routine can be like a large scale performance in very close quarters - just great!

Thanks to everyone who has replied, and a thanks in advance to further insights!
Cheers, Tom DeVoe.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
The watch routine. It was my birthday recently (50, if you must know) and my wife gave me a lovely Kenneth Cole designer watch. My reaction – “Wooo-hooo –it’s got a double stop on the stem for the date!”

Big mistake!

Drew
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spectators think silverware is gimmicked? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL