The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Creator's Favorite? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Great idea for a topic. I'll keep my eyes open.

As for me, I'd have to say that ReSwindled (MAGIC Magazine, June 2006) is my favorite effect I've published. (Especially considering that it's the only one I've published so far. Smile )

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
221 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
John Bannon: Final Verdict

"It really is one of my all-time favorite card tricks." Dear Mr Fantasy p 61

Simon Aronson: Everybody's Lazy

"Indeed, it's one of my favorite memorized deck routines precisely because it combines three impossible locations with a humorous, engaging presentational plot -- that ends with the spectator himself becoming the magician!" Simply Simon p 167
S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
221 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Michael Close:

The Frog Prince

"I hope you enjoy and use this routine; it is one of my favorites." The Complete Workers E-Book" p 146

The Card the Forehead and the Salt Shaker

"At the time of this writing, this is my favorite routine to perform. It absolutely kicks people in the head." The Complete Workers E-Book p 305

Ruthless Peephole

"Although Ruthless Peephole spent only a brief period of time as part of my working repertoire, it is one of my favorite routines." TCWEB p 378

Butte Ox? Two Butte Ox?

"At the moment, this is my favorite routine to perform, and I am proud of it." TCWEB p 407

Jazzin

"It’s possibly my favorite thing in all of magic, and I hope that you will devote enough time to it so you can experience this same joy." TCWEB p 635
170sam.org
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
I love this post! Here are some more...

Source: By Forces Unseen by Stephen Minch
Trick/Move: Bottom palm, one-handed

"I have Larry Jennings's patient and explanation that night to thank for what is the finest item in this book. Please do not overlook the description of the bottom palm in "Bureau d'Echange." It is surely the best bottom palm in print. It's done with one hand, involves no visible finger movement, and is much easier to do than it might seem. It is a logical outgrowth of the work of Erdnase and Vernon. It is so good that anyone who might have discovered it previously appears wisely to have kept it a secret. The sleight is so good and so logical, it has always seemed more like a discovery than an invention."

Trick/Move: Palm-to-palm transfer (Hofzinser), variant 2

"Elsewhere in the same chapter is what I probably would consider my favorite sleight in the book. Please give some consideration to the transfer move described at the end of "Bureau d'Echange." It is not nearly as good as the bottom palm and is probably something of a cheat, using as it does the edge of the table for shade. Nevertheless, this move, adapted from Hofzinser's transfer palm, is awfully fun, and capable of wide application."

Trick/Move: Rotary reverse

"The only other item that I'd like specifically to draw attention to is the reverse described in "Proteus." It is probably the most difficult sleight in a book with more than its share of challenges. Initially I balked a little at introducing the move in the variant form required for this trick. Stephen [Minch] more than satisfied my concerns, however, by appending a description of the reverse as I most often use it."

Source: Through the Looking Glass - Richard Kaufman
Trick/Move: Bottled Quicksilver - Toyohisa Sanada

"This is the finest, stand-up coin routine to appear in a long time. It artfully combines elements of the "Hanging Coins" and the classic "Coin In Bottle." The introduction of aural effects permits pantomimic and patter presentations. Every action, reaction, and routinized action-sequence are seamlessly put together. I rarely get enthused about coin magic, but this is the best thing since David Roth's "Original Chinese Coin Assembly" and it is definitely worth the preparation and the time invested to master it."

Best,
Charles
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17264 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 01:43, carolinahusker wrote:
Michael Close:
The Frog Prince

I thought it would have been Pothole....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
apple123
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of apple123
If there was a survey for top 10 posts on this forum, this is one I'd definitely vote for.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2006-04-25 11:49, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Hey GaryKruse: I'd love for you to list, say, seven effects where I said they were my "favorites." I just want to see if you know what the heck you're talking about? Of the top of my head, it'd seem as if you DON'T. HARRY LORAYNE.

Way to go - great answer Harry.
Cards never lie
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Harry,

Is Unearthly Powers still one of your favourites?
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
i have nothing to say about my
503 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
" I think babies are ugly so I have no problems stating that this is my favourite creation with cards"

Tyler Wilson, talking about the trick "Sloppy 30 Seconds"

Dominatricks, Pg 122

Jack
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1522 Posts

Profile of Cain
Martin A. Nash - Infinity
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
Quote:
On 2006-12-19 15:18, cjmagicman wrote:
Great idea for a topic. I'll keep my eyes open.

As for me, I'd have to say that ReSwindled (MAGIC Magazine, June 2006) is my favorite effect I've published. (Especially considering that it's the only one I've published so far. Smile )

Caleb

This trick is awesome -- if you haven't worked through it, go check it out!
This is THE version of Reset that I always use. Has a great presentational hook
and the final change at the end occurs with nothing added or taken away. Always
gets great reactions.

Kevin
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
221 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
David Regal

"All's Fair" the first trick in his book "Close-Up and Personal": "I wanted to place this trick, which could have been classified as a "mental" effect, at the head of the book because it is a favorite...For some time it opened my act." (p 3)

Later on he states:

"A favorite trick of mine is the Sack dice routine that appeared in Bruce Elliott's "Classic Secrets of Magic (and also in The Phoenix)." p 86

The Half Deal: "This effect will take very little space to explain. It's also one of my favorite tricks in the book. I think you'll enjoy carrying this around with you." (p 97 C-U&P)

The Deja Vu Deck: " I decided to include it in this book because I honestly feel that, as simple as it is, it is on of the best effects possible with cards." (C-U&P p 233)

He concludes Close-Up and Personal by sharing some of his favorite tricks from "Star Quality" on page 254.

Cheating
Everywhere
Dave's Move-a-card
Straightforward Collections--Illegal Collections
The Flying Hole
Perfectly Oiled
Self-evident
An Incredible Journey
Subliminal Attraction.
170sam.org
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8554 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
To assuage NeoMagic's curiousity, and to answer Krz4kardz: Lou Tannen named MY FAVORITE CARD TRICKS, as he did CLOSE-UP CARD MAGIC and PERSONAL SECRETS.

Andy: Note: no answer from GaryKruse.

erlandish - I don't understand. Are you asking a serious question, or are you being sarcastic (read "wiseguyish"). I never wrote or said that Unearthly Powers was a "favorite of mine." So please explain. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
221 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Harry,

Would you mind sharing which of your creations you are especially proud of?

Jake
170sam.org
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8554 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Jake: That's an impossible question for me to answer. I've never put anything in print (of my own stuff) that I didn't think was very good to terrific, AT THAT TIME. I still use stuff I wrote way back in the 1960s, that still blows laymen away (and some magicians, too). Miracles can be done with the HaLo Cut (HaLo Aces, etc.) There's no way I can take the time or space to list the items I use to this day (like my poker deals and so much more). And, skipping through the years,to the present, I've had a few hundred calls, emails, letters from people telling me that they use one of my latest (Guess Quotient) from my most recent book. So, that's the best I can do re: answering your question, Jake. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-09-05 15:18, Harry Lorayne wrote:
To assuage NeoMagic's curiousity, and to answer Krz4kardz: Lou Tannen named MY FAVORITE CARD TRICKS, as he did CLOSE-UP CARD MAGIC and PERSONAL SECRETS.

Andy: Note: no answer from GaryKruse.

erlandish - I don't understand. Are you asking a serious question, or are you being sarcastic (read "wiseguyish"). I never wrote or said that Unearthly Powers was a "favorite of mine." So please explain. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Guess, GaryKruse is still browsing . . . .
Cards never lie
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8554 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Andy: Or trying desperately to come-up with other put-down, untrue, remarks as he pulls the wings off flies! How else can he make himself seem like the "big man"?! HARRY LORAYNE.

Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
221 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
I'm sorry guys but you are severely mischaracterizing Gary. He is a kind man and, believe it or not, a big Harry Lorayne fan (as am I). I am 100% positive that he in no way intended to put down Harry (although I'm not really sure how saying someone has a lot of favorite tricks is a put down anyway). Yes, he stuck his foot in his mouth. But it turns out that he may not be that far off the mark with his comment. Harry DID write a book titled "My Favorite Card Tricks" and he himself says "There's no way I can take the time or space to list the items I use to this day". That certainly makes it appear that most of what Harry puts in print is in fact a favorite (which is great, because that is what makes his stuff of such high quality), but it also makes Gary's silly comment TRUE. Let's put this to bed and get back on topic.
170sam.org
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8554 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks Carolinahusker, I think. hl

Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
221 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Thank you for your wonderful contribution to magic and for participating in this forum.

Jake Austin
170sam.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Creator's Favorite? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL