The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Does the name Will Dexter ring a bell? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
While wandering through my local out of print bookstore I noticed a book by a Will Dexter written about 1957. Now being I collect books, I thought I'd pick it up. But I was just wondering if anyone had heard of him and if I got a good deal at $10?

PS: I personally like the book. It seems to have a lot of "chemical" magic tricks.
JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
Woo Hoo Smile Smile Smile
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
Don't know who Will Dexter is.... but if you like the book, you made a good deal. If it has anything in it that you can use, you made a great deal.

Dated 1957 it is also considered to be an antique.

Bengi Smile
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I seem to recall that name from Corindas 13 steps to mentalism.

Smile
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
What was the Will Dexter book called?

I've got one by him published a long long time ago.
JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
The name is "The Illustrated Book of Magic Tricks"
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Will Dexter wrote a number of magic books many years ago. I have a few in my library. If you go to

http://www.bookfinder.com

you will find many of his books available.

101 Magic Secrets

Famous Magic Secrets

The Illustrated Book of Magic Tricks

The Riddle of Chung Ling Soo.

Secrets of the Conjurer's Craft

This is Magic

This is Magic: Secrets of the Conjurer's Craft

131 Magic Tricks For Amateurs

131 Magic Tricks for Amateurs, Hundreds of Magic Secrets & Routines

Everybody's Book of Magic

Everybody's Magic

Feature Magic for Mentalists.

THE ILLUSTRATED BOOK OF MAGIC.

The Riddle of Chung Ling Soo. Chinese Conjuror.

Sealed Vision
MatthewBlackwell
View Profile
Regular user
England
140 Posts

Profile of MatthewBlackwell
Just thought I'd drag this, kicking and screaming, to the top of the list again - just for information...

Will Dexter was a London magician, born 1906 - died 1985. According to T A Waters' Encylopedia of Magic and Magicians most of his books were targeted to a lay readership.

I quote:

"In his books Dexter was able to get across to the public the idea of magic as an art, disclosing a bare minimum of technical information to do so."

Sealed Vision is probably his best known work amongst magicians and is (I believe) still widely considered to be the foremost text on work with blindfolds, both genuine and faked.

Cheers,

Matthew Blackwell
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1520 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Will was a great writer. If you new to collecting this is a good author to start with. Sealed Vision is amazing and will surely become a classic of mentalism.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I've had that book forever. It's a keeper. I like it.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mik
View Profile
Regular user
Luton UK now Seattle US
189 Posts

Profile of Mik
As a kid I had a few of Will's books and they all ended up dog ears and tattered as I read them so much.

Wish I still had them, maybe I should get the folks to check their attic.
From the mind of Mik
oliver_wolf
View Profile
New user
Germany
19 Posts

Profile of oliver_wolf
Thank you for the tip. Perfect timing, because I am working on a blindfolded routine.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
723 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Some people here need to learn their magic history -Will Dexter is a well-known past magical author & magician.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
During the late 1960s in school, one of my friends had a Will Dexter book which I borrowed from him. I remember one of the tricks with cards used the code "David Lovell in yon abbey." Wasn't that the Dexter book? I'm quite sure of that. But what I need to refresh my memory is the Rope-Restoration in that book. I remember it had wooden sticks with a string, so that must be the Pillars of Solomon. What I want to know is whether it used the well-known method where the two sticks have to be kept connected at the bottom, or whether it used an improvement. I mean that practically everybody knows the old method of the connected sticks, but somebody told me there is an improved version where the sticks can be held completely apart after the cut? Is that true? And if so, was that the version I saw in the Dexter book?
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3384 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
131 Tricks for Amateurs was my very first magic book many years ago. Loved the illustrations and hand writing... it is still a prized/item in my library.

Cheers,

John
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2020 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2002-01-05 14:32, Bengi wrote:
Don’t know who Will Dexter is.... but if you like the book, you made a good deal. If it has anything in it that you can use, you made a great deal.

Dated 1957 it is also considered to be an antique.

Bengi Smile

I believe it is considered "Vintage" but not an "Antique"
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Does the name Will Dexter ring a bell? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.6 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL