The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Canadian hypnotists' insurance? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
959 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Hi just wondering if there are any hypnotists that have found show insurance in Canada? Seems to be kind of hard to get.

AG
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
Being a Hypnotist myself here in Canada for over 20 years, I've never heard of such a thing. What could a person possibly be doing on stage to need insurance ? If you have a well trained assistant,and you are good in crowd control, nothing will go wrong.

~Rick~
"A man is only as young as the woman he feels"

-Groucho Marx-
BradBrown
View Profile
Regular user
Florence, KY, USA
182 Posts

Profile of BradBrown
I'm neither Canadian nor a hypnotist, but I think it's a bad idea to just assume that "nothing will go wrong." There's always a chance of something going wrong. Suppose a volunteer trips and hurts himself while assisting you on stage. They could pursue legal action. Supose someone knocks over a speaker stand and injures someone else. Even tough common sense would say it's not your fault, you still could get pulled into a law suit.

I am a performer. I've never had a problem, and don't really expect to. However I do have liability insurance. (I have mine through Clowns of the US, but I'm pretty sure it's US only.) One incident is all it would take to potentially cause financial ruin for a small business like mine. As a full time performer, I don't think it's worth the risk to not be covered.

There are group policies for performers through clown and magic asociations like the World Clown Association and IBM. It may be worth joining even though your not a clown or magician, if the coverage would work for you. I know this has been discussed here before, so do a search if you want more info.

-Brad
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Ineresting. It's a fact now that you can not work in Australia WITHOUT insurance as an enterainer!! As an example, I have friends who perform in shopping malls with a family magic act and can not work there if they don't have liability insurance against accidents. I don't know about Canada but would imagine if it's not happening yet it will happen.
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://extrememagicmakeover.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7410 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I've been carrying liability insurance on my show for years now (although I am not a hypnotist). You can ask your local insurance provider about what options are available -- if they don't have the answers, look elsewhere.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I am a full-time magician and a part-time insurance agent. (Really - my best friend owns an insurance agency and I work for him when I can, usually 10-12 hours a week.) Carrying liability insurance is very important but finding professional liability for a hypnotist is very difficult.

The group liability policies for both the SAM and I.B.M. specifically exclude coverage for hypnosis. Why? Because, there are many things a person can claim were caused by being under hypnosis.

In this litigious society we live in, a spectator can say the hypnotist did something that forever will affect him or her. Insurance companies try to avoid dealing with anything that can't be proven or disproven. How can you prove or disprove that the hypnotist's action leaves a spectator in a constant state of paranoia? (I know it's ridiculous but that's the problem.)

Anyway, if I were you, I would check with some of the leading stage hypnotists in the country to see what they were able to get. It's likely to be expensive and hard to find.

Good luck.
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
959 Posts

Profile of A.G.
I am a stage Hypnotist based in Canada and here you can recieve (3 mill) insurance for hypnosis act as well as magic juggling fire eaters ect...
http://www.clownsoftheus.com speak to Stephanie
cost is 180 us per year, can't beat that!
they insure you for Canada,US,and Peurto Rico.

SLEEP!
AG
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
AG you should be careful where you put those hypnotic commands, as soon I read your post I immediately slumped in my chair banging my head on my keyboard. It is a good thing you are insured. :>)

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
nalu_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Paradise
297 Posts

Profile of nalu_magic
I too go through Clowns of the U.S. Stephanie is wonderful and is always on top of things. Give her a call...
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7410 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I am a little curious as to why A.G. started this thread (with what seemed like a genuine question), and then gave an answer a couple of weeks later.

Could you please explain?

Were you just looking for other ideas, besides the one you are now using?

- Donald
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
959 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Hi Donalld
I found the answer I was looking for, and thought I would SHARE with OTHERS so we can all have GREAT SUCCess!

keep on truckin'!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7410 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Thanks for the clarification. It just sounded from your second post that you had been with them for a while.

- Donald
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
959 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Donner,
I cannot read where I may have said/wrote that I have been with them for ANY amount of time, let alone A WHILE...

Just want to make clear that I am trying to HELP thos e who were in MY situation a few posts ago... that what THIS forum is for.. to HELP others achieve SUCCESS!

AG
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7410 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
As you know, the one main weakness of a forum, is that we "read" tonalities and other things into the words in the posts, because we are only using typed words, and not the additional parts of communication, such as body language, voice inflections, verbal tonality, etc.

I misunderstood. Totally my fault. I apologize, Andrew.

- Donald
nirve
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of nirve
Quote:
On 2005-06-04 14:13, MagicalPirate wrote:
AG you should be careful where you put those hypnotic commands, as soon I read your post I immediately slumped in my chair banging my head on my keyboard. It is a good thing you are insured. :>)

Martin Smile
Oh I know. Lets sue him. Smile
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
533 Posts

Profile of RSD
A.G., Just curious...I assume your Canadian but the Clowns of the US site states that you must have a US mailing adress. Did you just go around this loophole the obvious way or do they have excemptions for Canadians?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Canadian hypnotists' insurance? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL