The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I got a bunch of film canisters... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
... now what do I do with 'em? I already made a couple of pulls, now I just need guidance as to what to do with the rest of them.

Sammy the Kid
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Put a ball with an elastic through them. Now put the ends of the elastic through each side of the canister at the bottom. Stretch the ball to the opening. You now have a gimmick that will deliver silver dust or confetti to your hand.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Hang onto them... With digital photography taking over, they'll be collectables! Your great great, great grandchildren will be filthy rich!

Seriously though, I have found that by discarding the lids and attaching 3 or 4 to a small piece of wood about the size of a 12 inch ruler, (but only about 6 inches long) and then putting velcro on the back of the piece of ruler, it sticks nicely to the back edge of my table - allowing a quick and convenient place to put silks. When you need a silk during the show, just reach down, grab the corner of the appropriate colored silk and pull up. It keeps them neatly out of the way of your other props and keeps them from taking up valuable shelf space in your table.

Another use that I have found for a film cannister is to mount a single cannister to a piece of cardboard or wood that fits in your pocket. The wood or cardboard keeps the film cannister upright. In the cannister, place a TT with water and a small goldfish in it. Wa-la! A nice little live fish production!

In a pinch, when I was on the road once and had forgotten a certain little prop neeeded to make my silks change colors, I have also glued the lid on to a cannister after cutting a round hole in the lid and another hole in the bottom of the cannister. This made a great little emergency dye tube after I put flesh colored tape (cloth bandaids) around the whole cannister.

Lyndel
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
382 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Glue them inside off your open box (out of sight) to hold thumb tips. Good for exchanging them after you have don't one off. Also can hold a die tube.
Rick
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
These canisters are fairly easy to palm and can be switched.

One idea is to drop ten pennies into one, do a switch and pour out two nickels.

Another would be to drop paper clips and have them linked.

Might also be rigged as a pull or holdout for sponges, silks or... ????

Shell game?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Do you know the gimmick called a "silk poke" ?

If you do , then this will be self-explanatory ---

take the film canister and glue one of these along the inside wall of the canister :

http://www.mypencil.com/mall/new14004.jpg

This is a foam pencil grip, made by Rogers. (other brands will work, but the foam ones are best because they are very compressible and have a good "cling" to the pencil or pen when you push it in to the grip)

Paint it flesh color or wrap some Band-aids around it to make it flesh colored.
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
They can hold your sponge balls as well
cheers chris
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I use them in Bizarre magick to hold certain things that need to be damp or require a certain bit of moisture to work, like the goldenrod paper, and the solution, on a sponge in the film can...
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I got a bunch of film canisters... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL