The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Coating paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
I'm currently putting together some personalised spoof banknotes to use in my Miser's Dream routine but have found that regular paper doesn't stand up well to being folded up small inside a TT - when I produce the note it has little tears where the creases intercede which get bigger every time, eventually the whole thing falls apart.

The answer would seem to be to soak the paper in some sort of glue or latex solution, but I'm not sure exactly what to use. Has anybody done anything like this so they can suggest what to use? Is there printable stock paper available anywhere suitable for the job?

Looking for a license to print money,
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I think the only way to really find out is to test different papers. But I believe eventually they all get ruined.

Yould try to cover the note with matte-surface masking tape or the like to see whether it increases the lifespan of the note.

Does your handling allow for any other method than TT? Maybe a holder somewhere with the note(s?) folded only as much as required for palming.
Sent from my Typewriter
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
The paper material tyvek is extremely durable and will hold up to folding many, many times. I'm not sure how to print on it (whether it will accept inkjet, lazer, etc.) Check it out at http://tinyurl.com/9mnqo It's a bit pricey, but holds up like iron!

Perhaps someone here at the Café has a bit more experience with printing on tyvek paper that they can share with us?

Lyndel
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Tyvek looks a little thick and heavy for the job, but thanks for the link.

Ordinary banknotes of course are absolutely fine, they're manufactured to withstand being stuffed in thousands of wallets and pockets, which is what leads me to thinking a way of coating soft, thin paper is the way to go. Obviously no mint in the world will want to let on the details of how they manufacture their currency, so I guess I'll just have to figure out a way for myself.

I've a few things to try, ranging from liquid latex (expensive, so I'll probably try that last) to simple school glue and sugar water, I'll let you all know how I get on.

Jay Scott Berry's "Cloaking Device" could work well as a TT alternative with a little less note abuse, but I'd still like to use the TT, simply because it's so easy to steal and coreograph into the routine.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've used a strip of scotch tape on the creases, and it adds a little bulk but gives the bills a longer life. If you have your advertising on the bills, you may want to consider just replenishing the supply often, and leave the extras conspicuously laying around. Who wouldn't stop to pick up money?!?

Another option, although I haven't tried it: There is a no-tear paper that I have seen with printing on it. A google search or a few calls to paper dealers/large printing houses may get results.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mengst
View Profile
New user
Northern CA
74 Posts

Profile of mengst
Tyvek works pretty well folded up in a TT. Jay Sankey uses it in his trick Fan Mail, based on a bill switch using a TT.
Mike
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
I use from 60 to 100 Bills in my act. They are printed on Fine Linen Rag Bond, available at any good office supply company. These are durable, not as durable as real currency, but they last two performances. I go home and make 100 more. I experimented with lots of different papers and these have the feel and texture of 'real money'. I don't use a TT, but they get a lot of folding and stress!
Regards,
Wizzard
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Thanks, Wizzard, I'll look into it! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Coating paper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL