The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Der Gedankenleser on German TV...Derren`s little b(r)other??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brainman
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of brainman
What do you think about this guy and especially his performing pieces and performing style.
Would be interested.
T
Mark Timon
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
I've seen 2 of the 3 programs, last saturday only saw the last part.
Personally I didn't like any of them, specially his style.He didn't convince me.

Regards
JuRim
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of JuRim
There are only 2 parts...but beside that well... he is not Derren Brown but he is compared with him - that´s his problem- as long as he can live with it- I can!
I asked if she like cardtricks. she said:No! I did four...
Mark Timon
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Hi JuRim

Unless I'm totally crazy, I've seen 2 complete tv shows and last sunday saw the end of another different one! or maybe I see death people....

Regards
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Hi

partly I agree with you all. on the one hand I must say that the program is not so bad made. I don't know Thorsten personally but heard that he is a good performer.

And so I come to the downside. I agree in the point that it is totally compared to derren brown. AND I DO AGREE that Thorsten partly is not fully convincing. BUt that's because the concept wants him to be an exact copy of Derren. And like everywhere in Showbusiness, a copy never can be as good as the original.

Advantage is that in Germany (yet) only few people know Derren Brown. But it will change since his tricks of the mind is planned to be shown in near future.

IMO Jörg Alexander, a real good german magician and consultant of Thorsten, didn't give good advice to practically copy Derren up to the almost every move.
Problem is, with all the performers who want to copy someone, that Thorsten never has the same appearance as Derren.

As long as Derren doesn't appear on German TV its not so big problem. But it will change. ANd then, like mentioned in above posts, everybody will say: 'Hey, did you see the guy on TV who did things like Derren Brown...'

Since Mentalism even in Austria becomes a bit more popular at Events I had contacts and also a concept for a mental show on TV now I am also planning a one hour TV special hiere in Austria with privat TV. It is planned to be shown earliest around at September, October this year.

But I insisted to make a bit different concept and no Derren Brown one. I will also do stunts on street but also will do a show in studio with live audience where street tunts are cut in as clips. But more to come.

One more point:
I know that I also can do good contact reading and all the other stuff.
I do this in my stage shows at corporate events and it kills the audience.
But I'm not Derren and never will be.
So the most important fact is that it is totally build around my personality.

That's the only concern I do have about The german Show with Thorsten. Ideas and effects, with exception of a few, are good and I liked to watch it.

Just my thoughts
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
JuRim
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of JuRim
Hi Rudolfo,
I wish you good luck with your shows and the TV thing...
especially for your spoon bendings!

Just teasing

Greetings JuRim
I asked if she like cardtricks. she said:No! I did four...
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Thanks JuRim,

The TV thing is now in planning and we make the final concept. Of course I also have help from a good fellow mentalists from germany. We'll see how it works here in Austria.

But one word again about Thorstens's 'Gedankenleser-Show' from German TV. I know that the TV-Statiion wanted to try the same format like Derren does in England. SO there was a casting and thus there was no big chance for the performer to bring in his own concepts.
If Thorsten wouldn't have done it another would have been called to do by the station.

So I think Thorsten did the best out of it. That's the problem when you are not very famous and want to deal with big tv stations.
They think they can just take an exect copy of a show and be also successful. But the ratings of the recent two shows brought it up that this show is not really as successful as they would have thought.

The first Show was a nice new thing for TV. BUt the following shows just have been almost the same style with slightly different effects.
But IMO on the most part that's not Thorsten's fault but rather of the concept which hasn't been adapted to Thorsten's personality.
And as I've heared they plan to change some for future.

So that's my advantage here in Austria when dealing with this smaller TV-station compared to the German. They also do know about Derren's SHow in England and they also loved my show when they attended one in the past.

But they also realised that t ocopy Derren up to every move and comments it wouldn't work.

BUt to come to an end I again want to congratualte Thorsten that he took the chance and now his name is a bit more known as a mind reader because the people in Germany (and Austria also) yet don't know and have chance to compare a show to Derren's show in England. So for now he is the hero and I guess that's what the TV-station wanted to achieve.

Greetings
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
brainman
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of brainman
Interesting..!
thanks guys
T
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
961 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Allright folks....
since I'm from Germany, Munich (where Thorsten Havener lives and the tv show takes place) I want to say something about this guy. I know him from the "Zauberzentrale" where he teaches magic. I think he is alienating the Derren Brown style with his very weak copy. I think his character has no edges, don't know if you understand what I'm trying to say (ich meine damit er ist aalglatt Smile ). And the worst thing in my eyes the he does is telling that he is using psychological effects but at the same time does a blindfold drive. I mean, you would never see Derren do something like this cause it doesn't fit in the psychological theme. Sorry but there are no strong new effects in his series that will change the view of mentalism and magic in Germany.
Guess it's my time to hit the scene
Greetz Rick
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
Quote:
On 2005-05-17 14:57, Thomas Rudolfo wrote:
Since Mentalism even in Austria becomes a bit more popular at Events I had contacts and also a concept for a mental show on TV now I am also planning a one hour TV special hiere in Austria with privat TV. It is planned to be shown earliest around at September, October this year.

-please throw away your shirts - please. please. please. rüschenhemden sind nicht gut.
Meng
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere in Germany I wrote
128 Posts

Profile of Meng
Quote:
On 2005-05-17 14:57, Thomas Rudolfo wrote:

But I insisted to make a bit different concept and no Derren Brown one. I will also do stunts on street but also will do a show in studio with live audience where street tunts are cut in as clips. But more to come.

Hello Thomas,

I wish you good luck with your project. I’m sure it will be a great success.
As long as you don’t look like an Uri Geller clone! You know what I mean? ;-)
But with your ``stunts on the street and a live show in studio´´you never will be a second Geller.
The austrian people will know only you as ``The Mentalist´´.
Y3T1
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Y3T1
Hi,
I think that he's more a mixture of Derren Brown and Banachek. He says the same as Deren Brown, but does Banachek tricks (Finding out in which hand the coin is, driving blindfolded, finding something in a shopping center)

well, but it's the first magic show in Germany for ages, so better than nothing...
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi, just to point out a minor error. In Y3T1's last post. Derren has infact done the finding the coin in the hand thing. He performed it in his last stage show. He's also done stuff in shopping centres too. I can't remember which TV special it was, but he did sommething in a supermarket which gave the impression of using subliminal messages etc. etc.

Anyway, onto my question. Does anyone have a site for this German chap? As I'm in the UK I haven't had the pleasure of seeing any of his work.

Thanks, and sorry for being so picky.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
961 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Robert A. Wilson

Timothy Leary
Zane13
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Zane13
Just saw this guy on RTL in germany and all I can say is,I was shocked.He is the single greatest Derren rip off artist I've seen.He copied Derrens Blindfold obstacle course with barbwire,glass etc,and had it identically recreated in a tv studio with an obvious Gimmicked blindfold.Then it showed clips of him making train passengers forget what there stop is,and he finished with another copied presentation and act,which escapes me at the moment.
Harry Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
Europe
128 Posts

Profile of Harry Lucas
Zane13, you saw Jan Becker on RTL from last week.
http://www.jan-becker.com

'Der Gedankenleser' featured Thorsten Havener on Sat1 in January and February.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
961 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Hey folks... I met Thorsten Havener after his live show in Munich (Max Maven sat in front of me) and I have to say... well it was nice and this guy is really trying to get his job done. SAT.1 wanted a mindreader and he was the first who said "yes". He never had the chance to do his own thing, they wanted a second Derren (but as we all know... NOC CHANCE!). The live show was nice, but there were some effects where the audience could definitaley see the technique. *argh*... magician does the exposure for you... But he is a nice fella, hope that he gets a chance to do his style on TV in the future.
Greetz Rick

Yes, I really have to say the SAS man-effect of Derren was MUCH STRONGER than the one Jan did... sad thing (osterlind blindfold)
Robert A. Wilson

Timothy Leary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Der Gedankenleser on German TV...Derren`s little b(r)other??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL