We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » What type of hat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mayo
View Profile
Loyal user
WorymWood
211 Posts

Profile of Mayo
Okay I would like to get a casual/dress hat.
But am not sure what hat would go best with my face shape. And I have noticed allot of you guys wear hats. So, I figure you have to know what I am going through.
Considering I have never worn a hat I have not a clue what would go with my face shape.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/979002/Mn.jpg

I was thinking a Bowlers hat, Or a Stetson Gable.
I thank you for your time.

Your friend,
~Mayo
"I love the night. It's the only time I feel really alive."

---Helen Chandler in the film "Dracula" (1931)
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to l
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Mayo,

I think either one would work for you. Just put together a complete look that goes with either and that you are comfortable with and fits your personality. Bowlers are good for hat juggling tricks which can be a nice variety feature in an act. The Stetson makes me think of a Harry Anderson type of character.

Let us know what you come up with.

Oliver
scottasf
View Profile
Regular user
san leandro, ca
157 Posts

Profile of scottasf
I wear a fedora. Google Hat Guys in Oakland, CA they have a great selection. I get all my hats there. When I am not wearing my Fedora, I also have a Beret (not for performing!
2008/2009 President Oakland Magic Circle

"Life would be so wonderful if we only knew what to do with it." - Greta Garbo
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
I wear a fedora and fake nerdy classes when I do my comical character change to Lester during my adult performances.

My usual show suit is a Red Zoot Suit with a Bowler/derby hat occasionally (when my hair is messed up and I cannot get it fixed before a show). You really have to look and see if the hat goes with the costume and persona. Or you could just go without a hat...
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Mayo,

You fail to mention anything about your performing style or personna. Fit the hat to character. Edgy wiseguy maybe a fedora, riverboat gambler a western curled brim, and a funtime bartender like Doc Eason or Scotty York maybe that bowler is perfect or maybe for dark humored magic as an "undertaker", or a baret for an artsie fartsie type. The above are not meant to be all inclusive on the type of character that each hat represents but you should be able to sense how each hat might fit that type of character.

If the character fits you the hat will follow.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
I have a derby type hat and perform one-hat-juggling with if. This works nice in hands, but bad for putting it on table.
"Truth without Magic does not exist" J.Faulz
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2927 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Depends on the image you want to convey. I think either type would look alright. Try them on and see which you like best. You might like both of them. I have a black cowboy hat which I wear very briefly and a straw hat with a colourful red band which, again, I just put on and take off. Make sure it's a hat YOU like. You have to wear it and be comfortable with it in order to pull it off. Make it YOUR hat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » What type of hat? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL