The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalists tattoos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Hi gang

I am heavily tattooed and wondered if any mentalists use their tattoos in performance. not like a playing card on your arm or something silly like that. something a bit more interesting?

P
the ruse
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of the ruse
Do you really want to be anchoring anyone to your body like that?

Ohhh of course, but I'd rather a Stigmata effect instead.

All hail invisible compromise in the psych ward.
skullmaster
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of skullmaster
I, like you, am also heavily tattooed, being a former tat2rtist. I haven't heard of anyone using tattoos in Mentalism yet, but, you now have me thinking?
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Luke Jermay is tattooed too. I do believe there may have been a discussion about using them a while back.
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
Depending on the tatoo it wuold be a nice way to complete a prediction force . Is this the dragon you were thinking of?!! or If I get your selection wrong I'll give you my right arm!! Makes a change from wallets!
bsmith
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of bsmith
Reed McClintok (sp?) is also heavily tattooed. He does a very clever effect where a tattoo changes from a spade to a club on his arm. I know you said no playing cards but this one is very powerful. Also, try playing with words, a popular tattoo among urban community is the word 'Life' and when viewed upside down it says 'Death'. I've wanted a tattoo that can be used for an effect for a while now but because I scar very easily I was never able to get one.

Best

P.S. Steve O has your name tattooed on his ass
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
Please don't misunderstand this comment but isn't there a potential conflict between doing something that most people consider dumb (e.g., having a tattoo) and projecting an image of being clever (e.g., reading minds, seeing the future, etc.)
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Home Page: http://www.ERHutchison.com
PhatDad
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of PhatDad
I don't think many people consider having a tattoo dumb. Maybe having them all over your face and stuff like some people have then yes, but your average Joe wouldn't think that badly on someone with tattoos.

Just depends on the extent of them though and the age group you perform for. Different generations think differently.

Oh, and I only have one small tattoo.
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
Wow, so much to disagree with all in one post.

Firstly, is it really the aim of the mentalist to appear "clever"? I genuinely hope not. Do audiences assume tattooed performers to be dumb? That's not my experience.

For a working definition of the word "dumb", why don't we start with "someone who drives a car blindfolded"? Noted mentalists have been doing this for ages, with no damage to their reputations, images or No Claims Bonuses.

Stacked against that, having a tattoo doesn't even register on the dumbometer.
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
If I am wrong in my belief that most people consider having a tattoo dumb, then I am simply wrong. If I am wrong in my belief that most performers would rather be thought clever than dumb, then, again, I am simply wrong.
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Quote:
On 2005-05-18 11:32, Ed Hutchison wrote:
Please don't misunderstand this comment but isn't there a potential conflict between doing something that most people consider dumb (e.g., having a tattoo) and projecting an image of being clever (e.g., reading minds, seeing the future, etc.)

Ed,

If people believe that having a tattoo is "dumb" then they need a swift kick in the pants, a harsh slap across the face, and someone to bark at them "How dare you judge what you do not understand!"

Sincerely,
Victor (Tattooed, Pierced, and Otherwise Augmented)

P.S. I also hold a four year degree in mathematics. Do NOT just this book by its cover!
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
Victor,

I happen to like apple pie. But I would not draw any inference about my neighbor who prefers pudding.

People who dislike apple pie are not "wrong." They are merely expressing a preference or a taste that they have somewhere acquired.

In the same way, people may or may not approve of tattoos. Whatever their view, they are not "wrong."

I don't know any visible minority that is not the victim of stereotypes. Often these stereotypes are unfair and unflattering. I can't think of any reason why the minority who wear exposed tattoos would be an exception to this rule.

I am not trying to defend the practice of stereotyping. In fact, I have spent much of my life fighting racial, religious, and other stereotypes. When I get to be God, I expect to end the custom. In the meantime, it will probably continue.

Incidentally, you have, probably unwittingly, fallen pray to the practice, by making certain assumptions (another name for stereotypes) about me.

Sincerely.

Ed (who, for all you know, may be tattoed, pierced, and otherwise augmented)
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

the ruse
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of the ruse
Something something
common purpose
something Something

I thought we were here to discuss magic, not swing Prince Alberts.
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
Charlottesville, Virginia
264 Posts

Profile of the_houdini_jester
Tatoo a card to tour arm or something then force that card
All the Magic things I don't have are like the foods I've never had. One day I'll have some but I will never have all.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
There once was a saying, "One tatoo you're drunk. Two tatoos you're crazy. Three tatoos, well...." It truely is a generational thing. I once new a 'survivor' who used his camp number tatoo as a force number revelation. Some thought it was wrong, but who's going to call him on it?
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Ed,

Let's look at what you've written.

Quote:

OK. If someone thinks tattoos are dumb and people with tattoos are dumb then a good mentalism routine performed by someone with tattoos informs them OTHERWISE. It's a "BLAM! IN YOUR FACE, BIGOT!" kind of effect that can only serve to EDUCATE.

That YOU think tattoos (and those of who have them) are dumb is evident by the fact that you did NOT say anything postive or encouraging to the initial querent. Instead, your post is evidently intended to DISCOURAGE this person in the practice of mentalism. Had you really wanted to contribute something positive, maybe you would have offered some POSITIVE advice, like maybe using a tattoo as a distraction for some sleight of hand, etc. But instead, you came up with THAT gem of intolerance.

Also, let me inform you that I know Ph.D's, M.D.'s, rocket scientists, engineers, authors, musicians and many OTHER professionals with tattoos. Some of them have EXTENSIVE work on their bodies. Some of them are the LEADING PROFESSIONALS in their fields.
Quote:
On 2005-05-18 16:40, Ed Hutchison wrote:
Victor,

I happen to like apple pie. But I would not draw any inference about my neighbor who prefers pudding.

People who dislike apple pie are not "wrong." They are merely expressing a preference or a taste that they have somewhere acquired.

We aren't talking about dessert here, Ed. We're talking about PEOPLE. People with thoughts, feelings, concerns, hopes, fears, and dreams-- just like everyone else.

Quote:
In the same way, people may or may not approve of tattoos. Whatever their view, they are not "wrong."

I don't know any visible minority that is not the victim of stereotypes. Often these stereotypes are unfair and unflattering. I can't think of any reason why the minority who wear exposed tattoos would be an exception to this rule.

If people don't approve of tattoos that's fine; they shouldn't get them. But to say that getting a tattoo is "dumb" is small-minded.

My tattoos reflect different religious epiphanies I've had over the years. They are on me to pay homage to the myriad forms of GOD I have encountered.

If anyone tells me that my tattoos are stupid, they will have a full-scale JIHAD on their hands. GOD moved me to get my tattoos. GOD told me what to get and where to put it on my body. To question the validity of my tattoos or to judge me for them is to question GOD and GOD'S judgement.

Further, just because people are subject to unfair stereotypes doesn't mean you have to use this forum to further those same stereotypes, does it?

Quote:
Incidentally, you have, probably unwittingly, fallen pray to the practice, by making certain assumptions (another name for stereotypes) about me.

Oh ho ho! But not at all! You see, my initial post stated:

Quote:
Ed,

If people believe that having a tattoo is "dumb" then they need a swift kick in the pants, a harsh slap across the face, and someone to bark at them "How dare you judge what you do not understand!"

Sincerely,
Victor (Tattooed, Pierced, and Otherwise Augmented)

P.S. I also hold a four year degree in mathematics. Do NOT just this book by its cover!

I NEVER said "you" per se until I used quotations and then was refering to the generic case from my example.

READ THAT AGAIN AND NOTICE THAT I NEVER ONCE SAID, "YOU!"

I, and the other tattooed members of this forum, will await your apology.

Sincerely,
Victor (Tattooed and PROUD of it!)
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
I have one tattoo.
Its a hand holding a crystal ball.
Tastefully done ( at least I and those that have seen it think so )
Ive considered using it to reveal information but have never done so yet.
I do remember a thread about this before, but cant remember if it was in this or another forum.
Brad Hall
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, Ok
40 Posts

Profile of Brad Hall
Kim,

My wife's thinking of getting a tattoo. Any chance you'd post a pic of the tat or the weblink if it's shown on an artist's webshop?

Brad
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
Sorry , I am really drunk and moderater Steve [who is a top bloke , by the way] said not to write posts late at night [Implying when likely to be inebreated , as is the case , just now] but could I suggest that people could write at the beginning of their posts " I am really Uncool " if and only if , it applies to them and then I wouldn't have to read them with my severely diminished attention span , as of now , case in point.
I love tattoos but cannot have them being , as I am , covered from head to toe in unsightly hair .
May the force be with you , love Roki
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Stating your preference is worlds apart from calling that which you do not prefer "dumb".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalists tattoos (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL