The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind Controller/SUC Debacle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1876 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
What's the latest on the Mind Controller and Mark Striving's SUC Case? They are still pushing MC over at MagicSmith. Are the methods completely different?
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Yes,
I have posted this else where the methods are different. the mind controller is more like a jacks wallet than anything.
Phillip
Alex Reeve
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Alex Reeve
I think That the mind Controller with the snap fastener and the fourth panel looks like more of magician's prop than something for a mentalist. It doesn't look like something you could buy in a store.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2192 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Mind Controller is nothing more than a standard Jaks wallet with an extra (fourth) panel... which adds nothing useful to the methodology, makes the wallet thicker, and (as Alex has observed) makes it look like something you've never seen before (a "quad-fold" wallet).

So... fine for the magician, perhaps, but of limited interest to the mentalist.

And, as Phillip remarked, nothing like the SUC, which is a standard (bi-fold) business card case, and uses a completely different methodology.

... Doug
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Larry Becker
View Profile
V.I.P.
241 Posts

Profile of Larry Becker
I don't think Mark Strivings will mind my passing on a tip regarding his SUC. When I first handled the case, I found it kind of "floppy." I quickly solved this by affixing a small post-it note pad on the inside right hand panel. This filled out the case and made it appear to be a Post-it Note pad holder. Without going into a long song and dance, I found the post-it note pads could be useful in revealing what the volunteer had written on the back of my credit card, etc. Those of you who have it can fill in the blanks.
Visit our website: www.MentalismUnlimited.com
Hunter
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Hunter
Attitude: Try contacting Mark Strivings at the following e-mail address: markyapril@aol.com
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Which looks more like an ordinary, everyday wallet? I'm 21, and so a post-it note holder is not the thing I really need. I really require a wallet that an everyday person would carry, as a folder or the like would just look suspicious if I was going to do some 'impromptu' mentalism.
Thanks for the help,
Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Hi sjdavison. I don't know about the MC but I can tell you about the SUC. It doesn't look anything like an everyday wallet because it isn't meant to. It looks like a business card case or holder, because that's what it IS and that's exactly what I use it as. I have had numerous muggles and magi have a look at it and never realise it has any magical functionality whatsoever.

You can read all about the SUC on my website (www.ianrowland.com) under Items To Buy. There's a full description with pretty colour photos too. I have no financial interest in the SUC at all, and the info on my site is just there to encourage people to buy it from Mark Strivings because it is BRILLIANT. I literally never leave home without my SUC, and it makes MIRACLES possible.

If it's a utility wallet you want, first decide what you want to be able to do with it and then maybe people can dive in with recommendations! Personally, I'm a fan of the Bendix Bombshell wallet which, like the SUC, is made by Roy Roth and hence of first-class quality. The Bendix is a sort of Himber with some genetically engineered enhancements, but it opens up many possibilities for a mentalist.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I would buy the Buma wallet. It is killer and it looks like a real wallet. it uses inpression and is very easy to use. I also have the SUC and think it is great.

Hope this helps
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2002-11-16 18:32, pyro_magic wrote:
I would buy the Buma wallet. It is killer and it looks like a real wallet. it uses inpression and is very easy to use. I also have the SUC and think it is great.

Hope this helps

What is a Buma wallet?

Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
Yes, I've never heard of the Buma wallet either, though R.A.R. Magic used to sell an impression wallet and may still do so.

Who sells this Buma Wallet? It could be better titled Smile.

Paul.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
http://www.vikingmagic.com/cgi-bin/dc.pl......;key=521 you can buy it there. I bought it best it was made really well. I also like the card to wallet that is built into it. I always carry this wallet because it is just so practical. I also have come up with a peek device that is ungimmicked. It should be in my new book. I will post about it when it is ready.
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
The only "Buma" I know of is (?was?) a san Francisco magician named Marvin Burger. He took the first 2 letters of his last name and tacked them on the front of the 1st 2 letters of his first name to form his stage name---MArvin BUrger.
He used to have a magic shop in San Francisco. Have no idea if he's even still alive or if he's connected in any way to the Buma Wallet, but I can't imagine anyone using that name that didn't have to - - -
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2115 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
I just received the MC wallet in trade and it IS a well-made, 4 fold Jacks PEEK wallet. What the SUC offers over it, though, is a more normal appearance AND the ability to "load" items into it and to secretly write on items that the spec. believes are shut within the case.
*ISOLATION /QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls eBooks:
- Now only $10 ea! PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com

Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
What I would like to know, after having so many Magic Café posts about the SUC, is how or where to order one???

Does anyone know of any magic retailer, brick'n'mortar or on-line, that stocks it?

Is the only option ordering direct from Mr. Strivings?

By the way, the BUMA wallet (and other BUMA items) are carried by Stevens Magic Emporium.

Steve Hoffman
Mailto:steve@goodnote.com
Takoma Park MD
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
I feel it is apropriate to add a word of warning here. Not about SUC or MC (of which I have neither), but about those two and all "mentalists wallets" in general.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because I know there are many magicians hanging around here who've just started out with mentalism:

* When you buy these things you're not buying a trick. (Not "several tricks" either for that matter.)

* It is not a good idea to present it as "...I will now place your card in my wallet here, and..."

* It is not a good idea to clearly show the wallet "perfectly normal" or have the participants "inspect it", even if they could without detecting anything.

* It is not a good idea to use these wallets as "...and, once again, your card (or whatever) has turned up in my wallet"

If you use a similar presentation/routining to anything mentioned above you destroy the power of these tools - because that is what they are; tools, not tricks.

In order to understand how you ought to present and use these tools, you will have to study for instance Corinda, and read about the difference between magic and mentalism. You will then clearly understand why presentations similar to the above would destroy the power. I also advice to check out the older threads here on the difference between magic and mentalism.

One key word (which you may not find directly) with these wallets is "invisibility". It may take some study before you understand exactly what this means.

Good luck,

Matias
lmrmagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of lmrmagic
Quote:
On 2002-11-17 02:59, Steve Hoffman wrote:
What I would like to know, after having so many Magic Café posts about the SUC, is how or where to order one???

Does anyone know of any magic retailer, brick'n'mortar or on-line, that stocks it?

Is the only option ordering direct from Mr. Strivings?

By the way, the BUMA wallet (and other BUMA items) are carried by Stevens Magic Emporium.

Steve Hoffman
Mailto:steve@goodnote.com
Takoma Park MD

Ronjo.com carries The Sight Unseen Case. I got mine from them. You can get it online or if you are in New York stop by the shop. Here is a link!
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2002-11-17 08:08, matias wrote:
I feel it is apropriate to add a word of warning here.
If you use a similar presentation/routining to anything mentioned above you destroy the power of these tools - because that is what they are; tools, not tricks.

Matias

Matias,

Thanks for your post. I use the SUC often, and, as with other tools, I try to introduce it long before anything deceptive happens. For instance, I simply take it out to give give my business card to someone and put it back in my pocket. Later, if I need something to write on, I check other pockets as though I am looking for something and then sort of "come upon" the idea of using the business card and the SUC. I may, in fact, use the SUC as simply an impromptu "table" for the spectator to bear down on as he writes, again, not using the SUC for it's devious purpose until some other effect. In this way, the tool has been introduced and normalized so that when I need it, it does not really seem like a part of the particular effect.

But, this is also what magicians should be doing.... it's not particular to mentalism...

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
To order the SUC, I suggest you go to the source and the originator, i.e., Mark Strivings, at markyapril.com Be aware that there are two types, the original and SUCII. The two types have been discussed very recently, and commented on today.

As usual, Matias makes some excellent points. Remember, the SUC is not an effect in itself, it is an accessory that will assist you in producing miracles, if you learn to use it properly. Hope this helps.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Quote:
On 2002-12-01 00:42, Lee Marelli wrote:
To order the SUC, I suggest you go to the source and the originator, i.e., Mark Strivings, at markyapril.com

Correction: email Mark Strivings at markyapril@aol.com.

I agree. I always try to order directly from the originator when possible to help support them.

JR
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind Controller/SUC Debacle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL