The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Tricks with only one silk/handkerchief (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
119 Posts

Profile of DonB!
I am experimenting with a routine that uses only one silk (or so the audience believes). I started off this idea when I purchased the great video, 5 Minutes with a Pocket Handkerchief by Quentin Reynolds. It has some great knots and other ideas, including the hanky mouse.

As I have been working on the routine, I branched out to use some Tarbell stuff, some knots-off-rope effects, silk through microphone stand, bunny rabbit made from the silk, color changing silk, etc.

Just a thought: What effects can you do with only one silk (other props can be added, such as rope), but only one silk. The silk can be gimmicked, or switched out for a gimmicked one, but it appears to the audience that only one silk is used throughout the entire routine.

I look forward to your ideas.

DonB!
DonB!
Non-stop laughter. Eternal Impact.
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
The whirlybird silk vanish routine by David Williamson is a nice trick.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
119 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Quote:
On 2005-05-19 01:45, Pauly Prestige wrote:
The whirlybird silk vanish routine by David Williamson is a nice trick.

What is the whirlybird silk vanish?

DonB!
DonB!
Non-stop laughter. Eternal Impact.
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

Profile of oldwilson_2000
I like "The Chinese Laundryman" as performed by Daryl on one of his rope videos. (I know that the trick is much older than Daryl but this is the only source I can come up with at the moment.) A silk is tied onto a rope, then slid along the rope and finally plucked off the rope, penetrating it. It is a funny little bit with a nice patter and it plays well for all kinds of audience.

Another staple in my act is an adaptation of Purse Swindle. A silk vanishes from my hand and reappears in a purse. Then it is vanished again and travels invisibly into an invisible purse (= purse frame). Nice little trick that is perfect as an opener for me.

Let me add a vote for the dye tube. Although most often performed as a sucker effect (and thus revealing that two silks are used) you might just as well leave out the sucker part of it and make it a one-silk-trick.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I think that serpentine silk certainly has to rank very very high on any "one silk" trick list. It meets your criteria and is a wonderful animation effect. If you create your silk in such a way that allows for it to be "ungimmicked" while in use, you can go on and do a follow up effect.

-Ed

The re-souling of magic should be the aim of twenty first century magicians-S.H. Sharpe
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Maybe you can do a closer with it. Show a white silk roll it into a ball then do a throwing motion ditching it secretly then stealing a white Kabuki streamer or throw streamer.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Check out David Roth's superb DVD Ultimate Coin Magic Collection vlume 2. The first section is called "A Coin & Silk Routine." It is a series of disappearances, productions, and penetrations which are great. Uses a single normal silk, and a single normal coin.
kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Phao's CR hanke
7 corner hanke
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5289 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Check out the Harold Rice (silk King Studios) for a couple of nice pamphlets.

The first is called, “More Naughty Silks”. It is a routine that uses one silk to do a series of tricks (mainly involving knots). The second part of the booklet describes a two silk routine. Se it at:
http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20M......ilks.htm

Then there is a sweet little booklet titled: “Martineau’s Miracle Silk”. This routine has the flash appearance of a single silk, a suspension and the vanish of the silk using only one silk. It is a clever and technically easy routine. See it at:
http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Martineaus%20Miracle%20Silk.htm

Also check out “Through the Dye Tube”. While die tube work uses two or more silks the audience is only aware of one silk.
See it at:
http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rices%20Thr......Tube.htm

Just three little inexpensive pamphlets that will give you more silk magic than you can use!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
263 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
If your looking for a nice way to magically produce the one silk you could use Vito Lupo's Snap Silk Production. Basically you show your hands empty and then reach into the air and a 24" silk appears at your fingertips. I have seen Joseph Gabriel use it and it really looks magical. I know that you can get it from the Denny & Lee Magic Studio, http://www.dennymagic.com.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Vito does a fabulous job of producing that silk. He accepts praise for the skill but not credit as the inventor. That's integrity! Vito has both.

Just a weekend in the classic texts like Tarbell and Rice will supply you with a lifetime of "new magic". The rest is skill and showmanship.

Actually, you can get the gimmick at all office supply stores and many types of other stores. But the gimmick is not the show.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Tricks with only one silk/handkerchief (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL