The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bill in Lemon... Goes Vodou?!?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
So, I'd been working on the old "Bill in the Lemon" bit for a friend and her children. I decided to make it more entertaining by "warping" my presentation.

I appeared on her door-step last week with a brazier and charcoal in hand. I grinned and told her and her young un's, "I've got something to show you." I set the brazier down, lit a coal, deposited the same in the brazier, and went inside.

I quickly prattled off how a sacrifice works: If you want the gods to intercede on your behalf, you must offer up to them something of value. I then produced a single dollar bill.

I had my friend write down a petition (out of sight) for "the gods" and then sign it. I also had her sign the dollar bill and fold it until it was a small packet.

Moving outside, I took the dollar and set it upon the coal. IMMEDIATELY it began to smoulder and I covered the brazier with the lid. I then stepped away and said, "Please, whisper to your children the petition you wrote down while inside."

She did as I asked and I produced a small carving knife. "The gods were often believed to live in heaven and I know their home world to be our sun. We need something to resemble the sun so that we might divine their response to your petition." Turning to her youngest child I asked, "What shape is the sun?"

The child replied, "Round."

I said, "So we need something round." Turning to her next youngest I asked, "What color is the sun?"

She said, "Yellow."

"Round and yellow," I mused. Producing the lemon I turned to her eldest, "Think this will work?"

He merely laughed.

I cut into the lemon, muttering as I did so, and produced-- the signed dollar!

This part threw me: everyone was stunned-- and not in that pleasant, "Oh, that's a cool trick!" kind of way. It was more in that, "This is creepy" way.

BILL IN LEMON IS EVIL!
BILL IN LEMON IS EVIL!
BILL IN LEMON IS EVIL!
BILL IN LEMON IS EVIL!
BILL IN LEMON IS EVIL!
BILL IN LEMON IS EVIL!

:P
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thanks for sharing the reframe.

The egg or chicken thing about taking away the evil is a strong image and idea.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Thanks for sharing that. I really enjoyed it. One question: since the sacrifice (the bill) was returned (rejected?) does that mean that the petition was
denied? Smile

Dave
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Dave, I was thinking that the bill would be signed and put in an envelope on the person somewhere. The lemon would be used for the cleansing, and revealed to now contain the "evil". And of course the peformer at least offers them four quarters for their soggy bill. And of course the volunteer declines to permit the performer to show them the next mystery. Smile
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
You know, I was wondering about that, myself.

I don't know. I'll ask the gods next time I'm on the sun. Smile

Quote:
On 2005-05-19 12:32, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Dave, I was thinking that the bill would be signed and put in an envelope on the person somewhere. The lemon would be used for the cleansing, and revealed to now contain the "evil". And of course the peformer at least offers them four quarters for their soggy bill. And of course the volunteer declines to permit the performer to show them the next mystery. Smile

Well, as the bill was MINE, it shouldn't put anyone off from seeing the next effect.
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Great presentation for an otherwise "sour" effect (just a pun, sorry)...

I like to make a coin disappear and appear inside of some fruit on my altar that had been given to the Spirits as an offering...it kills...
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Quote:
On 2005-05-19 14:28, babakali wrote:
Great presentation for an otherwise "sour" effect (just a pun, sorry)...

I love puns! Thanks!

Quote:
I like to make a coin disappear and appear inside of some fruit on my altar that had been given to the Spirits as an offering...it kills...

Now THAT I would truly LOVE to see sometime!
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Yeah, puns rule...
but seriously, thanx for sharing! it just goes to show that ALL branches of maigic can meet together in harmony...whether in the graveyard, or in the parlor...

Baba
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-05-19 15:39, babakali wrote:...ALL branches of maigic can meet together in harmony...whether in the graveyard, or in the parlor...

In this case, the fruitbowl too.
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Quote:
On 2005-05-19 15:39, babakali wrote:
Yeah, puns rule...
but seriously, thanx for sharing! it just goes to show that ALL branches of maigic can meet together in harmony...whether in the graveyard, or in the parlor...

Baba

So very true, Baba.

I am finding that my presentations work best if I ground them in the occult, the supernatural, some dark-side setting, etc.

A friend of mine raises rabbits (for food) and I am soon to purchase a young bunny from him to train for "rabbit out of a hat" type scenarios. Only my "hat" will be a small coffin and the rabbit will serve as an emblem of love triumphant over death.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
For a minute I thought you were going to do the signed bill in the rabbit trick. Now that would be bizarre!
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Talk about a sacrifice !
Cut the bunny open ... , whoop, dey "it" is, right next to it's still beating heart !

Hmmm.. .. HMMMMMMMm...

.. muauaha .. muahahahahaaaa ...... MUUAHAAHAAHAAAAAAA
(0h I am getting ideas !!!!) Smile

Nah, even I couldn't do that to a bunny.. but a chicken ? or maybe a stuffed bunny ?
It'd be twisted to see that done with a spring animal - c'mere Rocky, ya varmint !!!!
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Man, now you're talking....

you want twisted? I have a ring flite that involves a ring, a rat, and a thermos of liquid nitrogen. The ring vanishes, and travels into the rat (by way of allusion to a popular urban myth) To retrieve it, you hold the rat by the tail and dunk it into the thermos. Once the rat is frozen, a light smack on the table disperses the rat, and leaves the ring there unharmed.

I like the way you introduced the lemon. Maybe next time, you could tear the bill to shreds, and use the shreds as compost for the tree. A little water, a little light, and a lemon grows on the tree. Inside is the bill.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Quote:
On 2005-05-20 00:00, Curtis Kam wrote:
I like the way you introduced the lemon. Maybe next time, you could tear the bill to shreds, and use the shreds as compost for the tree. A little water, a little light, and a lemon grows on the tree. Inside is the bill.

Next time, I'll drink some lemonade, drop my pants, reach behind me, and produce the lemon from my a------ um, yeah. This IS a family oriented forum. So, uh, yeah. Smile
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Hahaha nice one mentalvic Smile
have you tried using a different fruit???
something like a wildfruit or something with more bizarre look unlike the lemon Smile
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Quote:
On 2005-05-20 05:29, sinnead zenun wrote:
Hahaha nice one mentalvic Smile
have you tried using a different fruit???
something like a wildfruit or something with more bizarre look unlike the lemon Smile

No, sure haven't, Sinnead.

I had a lemon, I had practiced the effect once or twice before, and I was heck-bent on doing it that night.

Of course, a pomegranate would probably be the BEST fruit to use in a bizarre routine of this nature.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-05-20 00:00, Curtis Kam wrote:
Man, now you're talking....

you want twisted? I have a ring flite that involves a ring, a rat, and a thermos of liquid nitrogen. The ring vanishes, and travels into the rat (by way of allusion to a popular urban myth) To retrieve it, you hold the rat by the tail and dunk it into the thermos. Once the rat is frozen, a light smack on the table disperses the rat, and leaves the ring there unharmed.

Curtis, that is awesome !! The liquid NO2 is a clean way of "opening" the rat and dispenses with the gore, if desired. It's also dramatic, that could applied to lots of things. Is that original to you ?

I like your lemon version too.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bill in Lemon... Goes Vodou?!?! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL