The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Paper Engine...over-rated? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dam0n
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of dam0n
Hi guys,

I've done some searching, and looks like some of the Café members are rather divided on aaron fisher's book. Any of you mind to explain the nature of the material and what about it wasn't too practical to your personal preference?

From what I'm aware of, the book concentrates on several outstanding 'invisible' passes...what else is there to it?

regards...
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Hi Damon,
I have the book and I havent been inspired by it. I was inspired by only one or two effects. I bought the book because of all the hype I got from many members. Apparently they loved it. I believe that you always learn something from anything. But this was a tad expensive.
I am sorry I cant go deep because, I don't really remember the contents.
To believe is Magic.
dam0n
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of dam0n
Thanks Harish, any recollection of what those two effects were about?
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
I agree with jose...a little bit over-hyped...Smile

I reckon you should get the Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes instead..Smile
*kekeke*
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
Funny how a book which produced almost religious adulation in some quarters when it came out is almost never mentioned now.
dam0n
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of dam0n
Lol~ Hitmouse, are you trying to say something..
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
It was actually a sleight to do a one hand pop up move and an effect based on that.
To believe is Magic.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1140 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
The "slow motion collectors in the spectator's hands" is an excellent trick in this book.
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Is that the real doug brewer?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5834 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Relatively there are two basic schools of thinking in card magic. There is the "any deck anywhere" philosophy, and then there is the light touch, very deliberately delicate handling of cards. Think of it this way. There are fiddle players and there are violin virtuosos.

In Paper Engine Aaron Fisher adeptly puts forth his philosophy which is not only of the light touch and delicate variety, but also uses gravity to acomplish moves which were previously attained by the use of finger flinging. What this means is that the moves are much more deceptive because one does not have the fingers moving when nothing should be seen.

If one wants to pursue this style of handling cards, Paper Engine is an outstanding schooling in the ways of light touch handling with cards. Especially in Aaron's hands the moves seem impossible to those unfamiliar with the techniques put forth in this book.

Keep in mind that full pursuit of this philosophy might require that you rethink much that you have learned in card magic and that you relearn most of the slights you use. If you choose this path you will be well compensated with effortless seeming sleights that are equally devastating on magicians and laypeople.

Hope that helps,

Tom
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Quote:
On 2005-05-23 00:44, eryanic wrote:

Yes it is...

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
card123
View Profile
Loyal user
Button moon
208 Posts

Profile of card123
Quote:
On 2005-05-23 17:43, S.Segal wrote:
Quote:

Yes it is...

S.Segal

Is that the real S.segal?
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Quote:
On 2005-05-24 08:24, card123 wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-05-23 17:43, S.Segal wrote:
Quote:

Yes it is...

S.Segal

Is that the real S.segal?

Yes it is...

ClouDsss

Oh and I really am ClouDsss...end of story Smile
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
dam0n
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of dam0n
Thanks for the insights Tom...still deciding on a coupla books..maybe this can wait a bit..
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
If you are looking for a "quick fix" or something self working you can throw into your show next weekend, look elsewhere. The Paper Engine is MUCH deeper than that. I found it to be very inspirational.

Look at the (top) names in card magic who have praised it (read Swiss review in Jenii for starters) and you'll get an idea of its value.
dam0n
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of dam0n
Bsears> got a link to that review?
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I'm primarily a coin guy myself. I'd attempted to learn card magic and wasn't interested in anything I'd seen in person until I watched Aaron work after a lecture. The Gravity Half Pass is an Invisible move when done properly, and Aaron does this perfectly.

I perform Revolution Number 9 daily, as well as the diminishing lift sequence taught. The book was a joy to read and I hope to one day be able to perform card magic with the same grace that Aaron wields.....

Eric Jones
Prestidigitator
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
anticoin
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of anticoin
Over rated or not, it's something you should read if you have the money.

This applies to all books. It's nice to read how top magicians present their tricks, how they compile and structure them into a book.
But if money is indeed an issue, I would say not to buy this book.
Free_Mind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Free_Mind
I found this book to be overhyped myself. There were a few effects that I enjoyed reading and his work on the pass and bluff move was very good but besides that this book is nothing exciting.
camador
View Profile
Regular user
Salamanca
170 Posts

Profile of camador
Quote:
On 2005-06-11 11:36, Free_Mind wrote:
I found this book to be overhyped myself. There were a few effects that I enjoyed reading and his work on the pass and bluff move was very good but besides that this book is nothing exciting.

What else did you want??? This is one of the books that I had in my list and I´ve just got it today and at a first glance, I think I´ll enjoy too much. Aaron card handling is natural, light and efforless and...I´m off for a good read.

Regards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Paper Engine...over-rated? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL