The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Paper Engine...over-rated? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
I only heard people buy the book for the pop-out move and the gravity pass. Anything else in the book worth looking at?
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Everything is worth looking at. The book is not overrated. It is excellent.
Free_Mind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Free_Mind
Ok...overrated: no. Overhyped: Yes. I am not disapointed with the book I just don't feel it was worth 40 dollars and worth the hype it was getting before and after its release.
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
Aaron published the one handed Pop Out move in Magic a few years back.
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
If I am looking for a few good impromptu powerful routines would you reccommend this?
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
I haven't read Paper Engine. But I have read Dear Mr. Fantasy -John Bannon's new book and that features some great impromptu stuff.
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Take a look at the cover of The Paper Engine for a second.
"Tension, Focus, and Design in Card Magic."

I think that most of the tricks, routines, and sleights in the book are fricken fantastic...but I find the Paper engine valuable for a completely diffeent reason. Aarons 'thoughts and comments' are priceless. He takes a step away from the trick, and puts some briliant psychology between the lines of magic. These themes can not only make the magic 100 times more deceptive...but also bring your performace value up to a higher level.

This book is praised by some of the best minds in the biz. It it worth every cent if not more, and definately worth reading and studying. Just because you do not or would not perform the effects in a book, does not make it a bad book.
Dr Marvin
View Profile
New user
Florida
91 Posts

Profile of Dr Marvin
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 21:20, kamus wrote:
I haven't read Paper Engine. But I have read Dear Mr. Fantasy -John Bannon's new book and that features some great impromptu stuff.

Way to stay on topic. Anyway back on topic I think Paper Engine is an amazing book, and worth your time to re-read it to see if you missed any gems!

Dr Marvin

1-2-06
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7006 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Could someone please describe the slow motion collectors effect in the book? Just curious as to what the effect is. Thanks so much.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I think you are mistaken, there is no slow motion collectors effect in the book.

The collectors effect is done regular speed, only using 4 spot cards(and the subsequent discrepancy) along with a faro and halfpass to get a nice collectors effect. With a little thought(don england + Duffie methods) you can streamline this idea a bit, its a very nice take.

You might be thinking of the "Searchers" Plot, which is a slow motion sandwhich of a single selection.

Aaron has simplified the handling(uses no pass work) and the whole effect happens in the spectators hands. You have them perform a magic act with the deck and then they trap 12 or so cards between the searcher cards, another magic act and a single card is trapped in their own hands.

The searchers is very very good.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7006 Posts

Thanks for clarifying. I read in one of the posts above that there was a "slow motion collectors" routine in the book. Just curious as to what it is. I have an effect which I call a slow motion collectors effect simply because the three collector cards trap each of the three selections one card at a time. Just looking for similar effects, that's all. Smile

Thanks for your help.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
There is in fact a Collectors effect in the book. I'm not sure what you mean by a "slow motion" Collectors.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7006 Posts

What I mean by slow motion collectors is the three (or four) collector cards collecting the selections one at a time. Not sure if that's anyone else's definition of what a "slow motion collectors" routine would be but the name seemed to make sense to me anyway since most collectors plots that I've read have the selections collected all at once.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Well the book certainly seems to split opinions. Guess, I need to read it now. At least it is just a little over 100 pages . . .

Andy
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Paper Engine...over-rated? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL