The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mentalism & Hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Antelope
View Profile
New user
England
25 Posts

Profile of Antelope
I'm new to mentalism but not to magic as I've been practicing and performing for some years. My question is this: do many performers use a combination of mentalism and hypnosis in their acts, the most notable person I've seen is DB and it comes off very well. How important is this skill to pull off the best / cleanest effects or is it irrelevant and actually misdirection? Also what is the best way of learning this skill in the UK with a view to using it in a magical performance?

Many thanks,

Ant
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
508 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
Hello Ant,

I'm fairly new to mentalism myself; I've also been involved with magic for several years now. Back to your question: I believe it really depends on how you wish to affect your audience. Do you wish to bill yourself as a mentalist or a hypnotist? Or do you wish to do both? Do you want to focus on mentalism primarily and throw in a few techniques from the field of hypnosis in order to achieve mental effects? I consider myself the latter. Anyhow, a good introduction to hypnosis can be found in Marvin Kaye's "The Handbook of Mental Magic." Also, if you wish to delve deeper into hypnotism, I have heard very good things about Ormond McGill's "Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism." I believe you should be able to find both of these books on amazon. I hope that helps.

-Anthony
Antelope
View Profile
New user
England
25 Posts

Profile of Antelope
Yes it does, I've seen other posts with McGill mentioned and will certainly take a look, has anyone else any recommendations on the subject? In answer to your question I'm like you I want to use some hypnotic techniques to achieve mental effects. Do you own Kaye's book or are you just passing on info that you've heard elsewhere?

Thanks for the reply and I'll certainly investigate your suggestions.

Ant
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
508 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
I do own "Handbook of Mental Magic." The section on hypnosis is a good primer on the subject. I do not care for the book much as it pertains to the effects. However, the section on presentation is well thought-out. Hope that helps.

-Anthony
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Since you are English you should contact Eddie Burke -
http://www.mreenterprises.co.uk

He's been involved in mentalism and hypnosis since the good old days and worked with most of the british greats.
His booklets are cheap and most routines have been polished over the years.
But - he does not really do the spooky, tv, stuff of D.B.
Antelope
View Profile
New user
England
25 Posts

Profile of Antelope
Thanks, I'll take a look but I must admit I am more into the darker side of magic.

Ant
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mentalism & Hypnosis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL