The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Musical magicians who play any of the "unholy three." (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
We all know that there are several magicians who are also musicians. For example, Michael Close is a keyboard artist. So is Marshall Thornside. Dick Zimmerman plays ragtime piano. But most keyboardists play the piano; after all, that's what most of us learned on when we took up "the keyboards."

Among musicians, there is an old joke -- What is "Perfect Pitch?"

Then answer is usually: "That's when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it clears both sides, ricochets off the accordion and lands on the bagpipes."

The piano is a nice, respectable instrument. But the accordion, the bagpipes and the banjo are the ones that are known far and wide as "the unholy three."

I know that several of us play one or more of these instruments? Anyone want to confess?

I play banjo and accordion.

Eugene Burger took accordion lessons when he was a kid.

Glenn Godsey plays the banjo.

Michael Weber plays the banjo.

Anyone else want to 'fess up? Or, would you prefer to point the finger at someone else?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I like ALL of those instruments, but play none of them.

If I could play the banjo, I would. I love the instrument. I consider Earl Scruggs a genius and I admire his work greatly.

The accordian is still pretty popular around here. I don't know if this is the case nationwide, but from what I understand, if you wanted to take piano lessons in Milwaukee that you would almost certainly be required to begin on the accordian. This seems to have been the policy up until the 70's at least and some teachers still do it this way.

The bagpipes are just haunting, I've always loved them as well.

If you partake of the "unholy trinity", my hats off to ya.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
You just reminded me of the Far Side cartoon of the angel welcoming souls to Heaven; "Welcome to Heaven, here's your harp" and a demon welcoming souls to Hell; "Welcome to Hell, here's your accordian!"

I'm also reminded of a comedian who once observed; "The bagpipes are an Irish invention... the Irish introduced them to the Scots and the Scots never caught on to the joke!"

Don't know any banjo jokes.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I must admit. . . I. . . play. . .all three. But not at the same time. I'm sorry.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I don't really play the banjo, But I can play it. I perfer the juice harp.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-05-19 14:17, Corey Harris wrote:
I perfer the juice harp.

Is this the new PC name for the instrument? LOL. I knew it by another name, which admittedly, always kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Vandy
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
That was just wrong Vandy. lol.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I was being serious! I never liked the other name so I always called it a jaw harp. I never heard juice harp. I like it!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-05-19 13:22, mandrake01 wrote:
You just reminded me of the Far Side cartoon of the angel welcoming souls to Heaven; "Welcome to Heaven, here's your harp" and a demon welcoming souls to Hell; "Welcome to Hell, here's your accordian!"

I'm also reminded of a comedian who once observed; "The bagpipes are an Irish invention... the Irish introduced them to the Scots and the Scots never caught on to the joke!"

Don't know any banjo jokes.

My father was the Palmer of the Palmer-Hughes Accordion Course, which was the largest selling accordion course of the 1940's and 1950's -- the good old days. That cartoon was his favorite.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-05-19 14:17, Corey Harris wrote:
I don't really play the banjo, But I can play it. I perfer the juice harp.

The old name of the instrument in question raised a lot of eyebrows right after WW II, what with the Holocaust, etc. So it was sold with a really interesting name, "The Bruce Harp." Those who played it could be spotted by the chipped front teeth!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
They did a Peanuts movie in which Snoopy played a "jaw harp." They tried marketing it on a card with Snoopy playing one. (I never understood the other name to begin with.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It was just one of those names that was given to the instrument that "stuck." There are other examples of this historically, which I will not post to the web site, because they are generally racist or otherwise offensive.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
'Sfunny...In Mexico, the accordian is an integral instrument in the popular music style called "Rancho" (best described as Mexican C&W), among other styles. It is admired and respected as a lead instrument while the guitar falls back to support. I've seen blind accordian players that just WAIL on the thing and make music I've never heard before.

The banjo isn't so well known here. But I, as a lover of Bluegrass, have great admiration for it. I've always liked fingerstyle over picking. And the banjo does exactly that. I've also heard that the banjo is the only instrument that was invented, designed, and developed in the USA.

Bagpipes...I'm the grandson of a Scottish immigrant. Up your kilt!
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
I've always loved the banjo and bagpipes. Never could play the bagpipes but attempted to. Would still love to get into playing a banjo.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Well, let's see...

... coming from a traditional Italian family I was 'encouraged' to play the accordian.

Some how I won out with the aide of one of my aunts and begged, borrowed and pleaded for a guitar.
The Beatles on Ed Sullivan of course.

The guitar is still the prevalent instrument but now oddly enough I find myself intrigued with the accordian.

Go figure.

As far as banjo I can play fake banjo and pass it off on a date but my banjo chops are sorely lacking.

As for bagpipes, now that I no longer smoke, maybe I have a shot.

However I think my neighbors would run me out of town on a rail.

They already put up with a variety of musical and non musical sounds emanating from my four walls.

Take Care,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
What do you call a guitarist at a banjo convention ? A musician . That's just an old joke I heard, not a personal belief.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-05-21 15:23, Patrick Differ wrote:
'Sfunny...In Mexico, the accordian is an integral instrument in the popular music style called "Rancho" (best described as Mexican C&W), among other styles. It is admired and respected as a lead instrument while the guitar falls back to support. I've seen blind accordian players that just WAIL on the thing and make music I've never heard before.

We hear a lot of conjunto up here. Flaco Jimenez is one of the real wizards of the instrument. A friend of mine, the late John Gabbanelli, was from a family that made accordions in Italy. Hohner was the brand of choice in Mexico until John came along. He started making accordions that were red, white and green. Completely took the market over from right here in Houston.

Quote:
The banjo isn't so well known here. But I, as a lover of Bluegrass, have great admiration for it. I've always liked fingerstyle over picking. And the banjo does exactly that. I've also heard that the banjo is the only instrument that was invented, designed, and developed in the USA.

Bagpipes...I'm the grandson of a Scottish immigrant. Up your kilt!

I have a website devoted to banjo setup. Most of the banjo players on this forum have been there -- http://www.banjowizard.com -- it's world famous. I have had banjo players from Mexico use it for a reference when building their own instruments.

I wish we could say that the banjo was "born in the USA," but that is a myth that Joel Walker Sweeney perpetrated in order to get a patent on it. It was an instrument that came over from Africa with the slaves. You can still find its ancestors there; one, the Akonting, from the Jola tribe, is played in a style very much like Appalachian clawhammer.

But I do have to say that the development of the banjo from the old style instruments to what we have nowadays is pretty much an American thing, as is the development of the electric guitar.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Banjo, bagpipe and accordion jokes:

A fellow with an accordion case and a fellow with a banjo case are waiting for a taxi. Which one is the musician?

The taxi driver.

What is the difference between an accordion player and a large pizza?

A large pizza can feed a family of four.

How can you tell if the stage is level?

The drool runs out of both sides of the accordion player's mouth.

How do you get a banjo player to leave?

Pay him for the pizza.

How can you tell that the pizza delivery man is a banjo player?

When he knocks on the door, it gets faster and faster, and he doesn't know when to come in.

What is the difference between a trampoline and a bagpipe?

You have to take off your shoes before you jump up and down on a trampoline.

What is the difference between an onion and an accordion?

Nobody cries if you cut up an accordion.

Last week, Earl Scruggs left his banjo in the back of his car. When he returned, someone had broken the window and put in three more banjos.

TA DA!!!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
With a last name of Campbell, which would you suspect?

(Actually, I don't play any of them. I used to play the guitar, so a banjo would be the most likely. I truly enjoy both bagpipes and banjos.)

During the four years that our daughter was in her high school band, we used to see (and hear) Glendora (CA) High School's Tartan marching band at parade and field show competitions. It's hard to imagine that in Glendora, CA one could find a half-dozen high-schoolers who could play the bagpipes at all, much less six who are exceptionally good. Glendora had (and probably still has) six exceptionally good pipers. To hear them burst into Scotland the Brave was one of the highlights of every parade in which we saw them.

I cannot think of any music that will fill me with more emotion than hearing Amazing Grace on bagpipes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I love the pipes. However, I have a standing order that Amazing Grace is not to be played on the pipes at my funeral.

I also don't want the Beer Barrel Polka, Lady of Spain or Foggy Mountain Breakdown.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Musical magicians who play any of the "unholy three." (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL