The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Bert Allerton's "The Close-up Magician" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I've been using a sleight from this booklet but have no idea what the name is or it's source.
Basically, a card from the middle of the deck is brought to second from top.

It's found in Bert Allerton's "The Close-up Magician" booklet in the trick "The Eye Popper".

Help is appreciated.
BillWheeler
View Profile
New user
Naperville, IL
80 Posts

Profile of BillWheeler
The move is credited to Leipzig, I think its in The Sphinx. Jon Racherbaumer describes the history of it in the book "Card Finesse 2".
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Maybe it is also in "Tribute to Nate Leizig".

Hideo Kato
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Could be the Top Card Cover Pass. The variation in Card Finesse is very good. I always thought it was Stanyon's.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Thanks fellas.

Someone on another similar post of mine also suggested it may be the 'Top Card Cover Pass'.

I don't have a lot of card books and was just wondering because I like this move.
Randy
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
261 Posts

Profile of Randy
Is the move done as you flip the selected card face down onto the lower half of the deck with the upper half? (I am trying to describe this without giving it away) If so, this is probably the "Liepzig Pass" which I think is in the Vernon Liepzig book. Ron Bauer (I think) also had a variant named the Screened Liepzig Pass.
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
That's it Randy. Thanks.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Bauer's version is superb. Daryl included it in The Ambitious Card book, but had never seen it done by RB. I did it for him at a convention and fooled him completely. "Oh", he said when I told him what it was - "I had no idea it could look that good!"

Best, PSC

P.S. It was originally described in Charlie Miller's Magicana column...
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
The move in question is a variant of the Leipzig Pass. (The Leipzig Pass, by the way, does not appear in the Vernon book. There is a pass described there, but it's not the one being referred to in this thread.)

The Leipzig Pass was originally described in the January 1939 Sphinx, and it brings the card directly to the top of the deck. He used in the context of a Card Stabbing where the deck is spread on the table and covered by a handkerchief.

Ron Bauer's handling brings the card to second from the top, and is described in the February 1983 Genii. This is essentially a finessed version of Bert Allerton's handling, which is what appears in "The Close-up Magician".

Actually, reading over the Bauer handling, he mentions that both versions were described in "Subtle Problems You Will Do", by Stewart Judah and John Braun in 1937. They did not credit either Leipzig or Allerton, but apparently mention that version which brings the card to the second position was created by H. Adrian Smith.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Bert Allerton's "The Close-up Magician" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL