The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Card clip. close up mat. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
I am looking to buy both of these products. but am not sure wich brand to get. so far I have been looking at joe porper clips? does anybody use these? hows the quality?. I heard that apallo close up mats are nice. what do you think about these? can sombody list what there using
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
If you go through the myriad posts on the topic of clips, the bottom line is buy the Porper clip. My experience confirms this choice.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
560 Posts

Profile of steve j
I use magician's choice mats, they come in a wide asortmant of colors and sizes and I find the surface to be very nice to work with.
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Go to office depot and pick up one of those big mousepad things for like 10 bucks.
The Presitidigitationist
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4286 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Things like Card Clips and Mats are something you are going to use every day and for a long time, don't cut corners.

Get the porper clip, it is better in MANY ways over the generic.

For coin work or resturant, check out a Duffy pad, these are made from thick neoprene(wet suit) material, so anything spilt on them is easily washed off with water. Also as long as you don't put any creases in it(by putting somethng heavy on it for a long time), it will stay wrinkle free forever and be like new.

The duffy pad is really smooth and coins slid easily over it, but for some card moves you might find it doesn't have enough "grip".

The apollo and gibson pads are nice for card work, but the tops can wrinkle from being rolled and can get dirty, and are a bit hard to clean imho.

I think you should get a nice large duffy, and then a smaller apollo and decide for yourself, and you'll get 2 nice pads that will work in different conditions.
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
Awsome. I will pick these up tommorow. I am deffinately getting the porper card clip. and I will bring some cards and coins and see if he will let me try out the close up mats.
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Quote:
On 2005-05-21 19:39, Daegs wrote:
The apollo and gibson pads are nice for card work, but the tops can wrinkle from being rolled and can get dirty, and are a bit hard to clean imho.

Roll them so the top is outside and you won't have the wrinkle problem
The Presitidigitationist
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
Guys what is this with the card clips, do you guys actually use these? and if so what for, I waste a deck per 2 weeks, but that is just by handling it, so what is this clip gonna do for me? This is a serious question, I really do not see the what this adds
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
798 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2005-05-21 21:50, Tabasco wrote:
Guys what is this with the card clips, do you guys actually use these? and if so what for, I waste a deck per 2 weeks, but that is just by handling it, so what is this clip gonna do for me? This is a serious question, I really do not see the what this adds

It appears that, for you, here's no advantage to a clip. I hang on to decks for a few weeks, and they're constantly going in-and-out of jacket pockets. No suit jackets, but outdoor jackets & heavier coats. My decks take a real beating without a clip, and the Porper is the consensus choice. The clip helps keep the cards from warping, because I'm in a pretty humid region, and it keeps the box looking newer.
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Why are they so expensive? It's just a piece of hard metal.
The Presitidigitationist
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4286 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Its more... there is a design and the porper has much better functuality than any other.

A card clip keeps the deck pressed flat when not in use, and even if you go through a deck every couple days, keeping it in the clip will keep it at a constistant quality the whole time.

I notice that cards coming out of the clip are much better quality than even new cards or just cards that have been out of the clip, I believe it is because of the pressure to keep it flat.
Slimfrinky
View Profile
Regular user
Nicholson, MS
153 Posts

Profile of Slimfrinky
I've always been a fan of the Zeus Close-Up mat... I've had mine for 10 years, and it's still going strong. You can fold it up, stack books on it, and come back a month later and it's just fine, no creases or anything.

However I don't know the company that makes them, or if they are even avalible anymore.
The eye of Katrina went right over my house. I now have a distinct distrust of nature.
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
If you have a few bucks, Dean Dill makes great close up mats. http://www.deandill.com
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
Quote:
On 2005-05-22 12:45, johnlamberti wrote:
If you have a few bucks, Dean Dill makes great close up mats. http://www.deandill.com

They are very nice, but with a 'few' bucks you won't get very far LOL
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3330 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
For card clips there can be no better rthan the Porper whilst Trevor Duffy (South Africa) http://www.trevorduffy.co.za/frameset.htm makes some very nice close up mats out of divers wet-suit type material. The can be washed but above all, don't gather dust like most do.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-05-21 19:26, Justin2200 wrote:
Go to office depot and pick up one of those big mousepad things for like 10 bucks.

These are great UNLESS you are doing the cups and balls. You can TOTALLY hear the inertia move on these things (the ball bounces up and down and these are harder than most closeup mats). However, I love mine for cards and coins and everything else that's not the cups and balls. (Plus, the balls love to roll around on these).

Quote:
On 2005-05-22 02:07, Justin2200 wrote:
Why are they so expensive? It's just a piece of hard metal.

They're not really THAT expensive. However, they are super high quality. I have dropped mine on a few occasions (and I mean on HARD surfaces) and upon picking it up, I discovered that it had not a scratch. Plus they keep the cards nice and tight, which is good if it's a hot day and your cards are in your pocket.
"Illusion is the first of all pleasures."
Oscar Wilde

"If you only knew the hours I spent just thinking about practicing"
-The Amazing Jonathan
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Regarding card clips... I was surprised to see Michael Ammar use them, figuring he would use new decks all the time. Being frugal is a good thing even when you are one of the best.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
I couldn't afford to buy enough card clips for myself, cuz I usually have at least two, usually 3 decks on me Smile I should probably change that, but I really love my black tigers, just to sit around and flourish with, and I do magic with normal bikes.
The Presitidigitationist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Card clip. close up mat. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL