The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Euphemisms (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
"Blue on Blue". When yank forces shoot brit forces.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-05-31 04:14, abc wrote:
Iwas only introduced to Carlin about 2 years ago and have been in love with the things he says or does! ...

Wonderful!

Have you checked out Lenny Bruce?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I love Carlin's Airplane rant. He's a true great.

"I'd hate to lose you as a friend"

-I don't like you at all-
qwism
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of qwism
George Carlin's best appearance in a movie I thought was in Dogma...if you know of his work..and then role in his movie, then you could see how funny it was.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
As for Lenny Bruce. Yes I have and it is enjoyable. Very enjoyable. Swear to tell the truth is awesome. He did a show or concert (whichever you choose to call it) in Carnegie Hall which I have.
As for Carlin's movies he is such a great entertainer that me mentioning a best appearance would leave me open for too much criticism. But I cannot recall any bad appearance he has made. Favorite part still is him playing guitar in Bill and Ted.
What did you think of Bitter Jester?
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
My favorite is still "honest politician." Or is that an oxymoron? Or just one that stays bought?

Lee "I'm not feeling very gracious towards politicians this evening" Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
The Toilet became the bathroom, The Bathroom became the restroom, and now the restroom is called the facilities.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Doctor says "You may feel a little pressure".
Translation: This is going to hurt like hell.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
"Political Correctness"

Back in my day, we just called it censorship.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
So long as it is possible to pander to those who prefer form to function, content will have two faces, one public for encrypted transmission and another private which becomes more harsh as public statements need to sound more neutral. Balance is maintained. The facts remain what they are.

We can look at this using algebra, by counting the operators upon nouns, verbs and adjectives, thought I suspect a geometrical interpretation would be more intuitive.

Is there a term for the measure of distance between a plain statement and the public (or private) formal/functional version?

Orwell anyone? Might make a nice name for the distance measures too. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Four candles or fork handles?
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-06-01 23:54, M. Perk wrote:
The Toilet became the bathroom, The Bathroom became the restroom, and now the restroom is called the facilities.

Somebody pointed out once that there is no non-eupheristic term for the bathroom.

On a related note. Isaac Asimov tells of a time when he was on a science fiction panel at a convention. A female writer was being introduced who was having a hard time getting over a love affair with a male editor. She was expected to say a few words about the editor "by whom she had often been antholozied." Asimov heard the host say that and muttered; "Eupherisims, always eupherisims!" Unfortunately, the microphone in front of him was live! The term became a catch phrase around the convention with people stating; "Eupherise yourself!"

Fortunately, the woman took it in good grace and dismissed Asimov's frantic attempts to apologize later!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Euphemisms (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL