The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Which Dye Tube to purchase? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
121 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Can any of you give me advice pro/con about a dye tube purchase? Which one? Buy from whom?

I am needing to "dye" a 24" silk, so which ever you suggest must be able to accomodate a 24" silk at this point.

Thanks,

DonB!
DonB!
Non-stop laughter. Eternal Impact.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Don,
I'd go with the Joe Proper dye tube available at Hocus Pocus or Joe's website. However, 18" silks are probably the largest silks, unless you build your own tubes.

Kregg
POOF!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
DonB,

Professional stage magicians use 24" silks for size and for dove magic. Dying these through a dye tube is a bear!

Richard Hughes laughs at me for doing the math, but it is the difference between having props that you can use and not use for an effect. If your dye tube will work with the 18" better art silks (Rice, P&A, etc. that use 8 momme silk), it should also work with 5 momme 24" silks. That is the weight I use on stage. It is also the one I use for card silks, Mis-Made Flag, streamers, Slydini routines, 20th Century Silks, etc. "Cargo space" definitely matters. The "look and see" method requires that you own props before you know if things will fit. I have enough of the "it nearly worked" stuff. (Don't tell Lucy. She thinks we are just too busy to use them!) I like solutions! Unfortunately, most dye tubes are already sized for 5 momme 18" silks. An 18" silk that is 8 momme won't fit anyway.

Besides, I enjoy making Richard laugh. He's a great audience. He is also the top of the feather flower business. (He also has a stash of good music boxes women love for gifts. It's a great way to do Christmas Shopping in a magic shop!)

Good luck!

Kregg,

Lucy's ready for you to pick us another good dessert place. You and chocolate often come up in the same conversation! Will we see you anywhere but Atlanta? Harvest is a long ways off.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would simply make the dye tube. Then you can use whatever you want (without the calculations Bob).
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
121 Posts

Profile of DonB!
My other question, that I should have asked at the same time, is what printed/video/dvd info is out there regarding the proper use of a dye tube.

I know the basics of using one, but could use some finesse work to clean up my routine. Any suggested books, booklets, dvds, etc?

Thanks again. I really am leaning toward the Joe Porper dye tube. It looks HUGE, but should easily conceal in my fairly large hands.

I look forward to your answers as they come...

DonB!
DonB!
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I made a dye tube for 36" silks out of some heavy cardboard tubing and a piece of black cloth. Worked very well.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5710 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Just call Laflin's Magic. I'm sure they could recommend resources and advise you on what to get.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Making your own is not an option to rule out! One of Richard's calculating friends has even used a glass slide for a guitar for 12" silks. You just don't need the box! It's an awful place to put a thinker.

Go to the Rice Banner on The Café to look at some good books. I liked Thru the Dye Tube and several others. Practice and timing are the important parts.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Hi,
I agree with Bob. You can make your own tube for special needs. I also agree that Duane Laflin sells some of the best silk gimmicks and has some great silk magic on his videos and in his shop. Thru the Dye Tube is a great source of info as is Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic. I also agree that depending on the useage, 18" silks look like "girly man silks" next to a manly 24"er!

-Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
eb02
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of eb02
I have a large dye tube that I use with a 24" silk.
I do not remember where I bought it but I think it's Johnson, if I am not mistaken.
Eran
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3687 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Is Porper's dye tube that much better than the plunger type dye tube by Rice or the regular dye tube sold by most dealers with the tape inside? If so, what makes it better?

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
eb02
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of eb02
I have all 3 models. I am using the round dye tube for the 18" silk. I am using the large strate dye tube for the 24" silk. I tried to use Porper's dye tube but you it holds up to 18" silk. I prefer the round dye tube. It's holding is much better since he is like a ball.
Eran
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3687 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Eran,

Thank you very much for the information and your opinion.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The plunger type always seemed safer to me. It is what I prefer. The one I use most is custom made and has a heavy leather plunger that doesn't "talk" like the metal and plastic ones do.

However, I own as many with straps as I do with plungers. So I'm pretty willing to use whatever is there. I have used glass tubing. It worked fine.

Tarzan didn't plant the trees. He just used them.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3687 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Dear Tarzan,

Do Mr. Porper's plunger dye tubes "talk?" Do you see any advantages or disadvantages in using Mr. Porper's dye tubes compared with the regular tape tubes?

Which one(s) would work best for the mis-made flag, for both the 18" and 36" sizes?

Thank you very much.

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
"Tarzan of the silks" now that is a true claim to fame!

I can't answer your question about Porper's dye tube. I've never knowingly played with one. Pete Biro would be the right guy to ask for that one. I do have a lot respect for Pete’s opinions.

As for flag sizes and tubes, you are going to get me into trouble again. Do the math. The 36" set takes four times the space of the 18" set. (Richard Hughes, I know I'll hear from you. But the phone hasn't rung yet!) Since I am already in calculating trouble with Richard, I’ll tell the rest of it. The 36” set in 5 momme silk takes the same space as the P&A 30” set in 8 momme silk. Plus you can use 24” professional silk squares instead of the usual 18” ones that come with factory tricks. (I doubt that the 36” set will ever be a collectable but collecting and performing are entirely different endeavors. The audience doesn’t know a collectable from a small flag.)

Most dye tubes would be inadequate even for the 18" flag set unless you used tiny silks for the solids.

Therefore, I don’t recommend using dye tubes in that routine. MisMade Flag is a long transposition trick. First you switch two silks for a MisMade Flag (missing a color). Next you add a third silk to the flag and switch for another flag. (In the 5-piece set it would be the final US flag. In the nicer 6-piece set it would be a three-color flag but wrong layout.) The second wrong flag in the 6-piece set is then transformed into the final US flag. A dye tube that would hold all that would look like a coffee can! Loads that large are better suited for box or bag magic. And that’s what I use for MisMade Flag!

The Change bag is the old standby and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. It will handle the full 6-piece set in 36”. Most commercial sets come with 18” silks for the three solid colors. (Really cheap ones have 12” solid color silks.) Many professionals use 24” silks instead because it is nearly twice as “showy” as the 18” silk and will also facilitate dove steals, bouquet steals, fish bowl steals, etc. (If you haven’t bought your MisMade flag set yet, get the 24” squares instead of the 18” ones. It’s money well spent. Otherwise, at some point in life you will likely replace them with 24” silks anyway, if you work on stage.)

There are loads of boxes to choose from. My two favorites are the Sesame Box and the Square Circle. With the five-piece set you can use the Crystal Silk Cylinder.

There is another ending option that I can think of with a dye tube. That would be to vanish the second (wrong) flag and produce the correct US flag. Since I’m an old cowboy and US Navy guy, I have problems with US flags getting unnecessary wrinkles. So this is still not for me. (I get enough ribbing because I tear up for the Star Spangled Banner.)

Tarzan of the Silks
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3687 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Tarzan of the Silks,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply to my inquries. Your comments and opinions were very helpful.

Thank you also for your PM. It would be a pleasure to meet with you and your wife, Jane, when you come to the New York area in September.

Thanks again for your courtesy.

Best regards,

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Cheetah here...

I think you have to realize that a Baker or plunger dye tube is made to be concealed in a rather large sheet of paper. I do not know but I would think that the Porper dye tube would roll up more difficult around a paper than a straight sided tube. If you look in Rice's Encyclopedias you will get a lot or variations on handling the larger tube. The Porper tube would be better suited in the hand. Though you could also use a palmo gimmick or a new favorite of mine a paper mache egg from the craft store with both ends cut out.

Bob (Tarzan) is right on about using the larger silks if you can. Once you learn how to handle them you can do them anywhere. The converse is not true with smaller silks.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Richard just made me remember a great MisMade Flag routine I did for friends at another university. We are football rivals. So I did the Mis-Made Flag from a football program (containing a frozen orange juice can) to explain the differences in educations at the two universities.

It was a lot funnier after I got the stitches out and the cast off!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
121 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Well folks, as the one that started this topic, I have to say, I bought a dye tube today. It is a large tube, one designed to go into a small roll of paper. It works well, and the handling of the routine isn't very difficult.

I really love all the feedback you've all been giving. It is appreciated.

DonB!
DonB!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Which Dye Tube to purchase? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL