The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Which Dye Tube to purchase? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
DonB,

Good questions generate good threads. We thank you!

Enjoy your dye tube. It should open many magical opportunities for you.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Depends on what you want to do with it. I have the Porper tube it doesn't have the strap in the middle to help push the silk out. I have two of the other types they are easier to handle and have the strap in the middle which makes it easy to push the silk out.

It doesn't hold as big a silk as the Porper tube however.

John Cesta
Posted: Jun 8, 2005 4:57pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2005-05-24 14:39, Bob Sanders wrote:

Tarzan didn't plant the trees. He just used them.

Bob
Magic By Sander

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

...as long as they had sturdy vines attached.

John
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi guys! Smile

I used to use the Al Baker. Still have it (I think it's an original from Magic Inc). Back in the day, I used it rolled up in paper, etc.and found it REAL easy to ditch, just walking behind the magic table (servante in back), as it slides out. Perfect.

For 18" silks, though, I've found the Palmo (Rice's) to be the best. It can be done close-up. I still carry this from time to time, along with a red and a green set of 18" Rice silks. I'm told it's a stunner. With a mini-topit, well... let's say you "end clean"!

:bg:

Doug
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I just ordered the Porper dye tube. Looks promising. I also have one from Duane Laflin, a simplex from Silk King Studios, and a common tape model I think I bought off ebay. Depending on the trick I'm doing they have all served me well in one way or another. If you have small hands I would suggest verifying the lengths of the various tubes before you buy. I have some that are just a wee bit too long for close-up work unless I'm very careful about my angles.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Might want to think about a palmo for the the larger silks. It is a fat dye tube.I have 3 18" silks in mine
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I'm looking forward to Magi-Whirl 2007 in April. Rumor has it that Ruth is going to let me demo the Rice Dye tubes for her. It would be an honor. Her dad is one of my heroes.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
The rumor is true! Bob Sanders, one of the most knowledgeable silk magic artists, will be demonstrating the Rice dye tubes at Magi-Whirl! Lucky me, to have Bob as a friend and "assistant"! All silk magic lovers should register for Magi-Whirl today!
http://www.Magi-Whirl.org
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ruth, just remember to talk slow for Bob. He is elderly and from Alabama.

I was going to come but 4 silk dealers is way too many for a small convention. And I have so much work to do anyway. Seems like I have been working the same conventions with 90% of the lineup. But I have plans for the following year.

BTW, Thank you for the referrals. It is appreciated. I am still thinking about the chimneys though I don't have time to work on them now.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Richard,

For Ruth I'd put a Die Hard in my hearing aid and turn it up on Fast!

I'm looking forward to Magi-Whirl. Michael Taggert and Bob Patterson sound like it's going to be a fun one. This is my first time there.

I will be Dyeing to get there.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- The lights in the new studio work! Flooring and curtains to go. But then I'd like to see your Kent State crew down here using it.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
So you have dicovered electricity. How long can the squirels run?
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Squirels? We converted the gristmill.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Isn't that a gritsmill?
Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Richard,

Grits are made at a gristmill. And when I get you down here to Dixie I'll show you what folks in Ohio can't do with grits. Remember that here grits are groceries!

Bubba Whodini will teach you Color Changing Grits. First see Ruth for a Dye Tube that will work with grits.

(Shoes are optional when you do this trick.)

Bubba

PS --- Thanks for tractor driving lessons.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
You guys are a riot and having way too much fun! As the daughter of Harold Rice, “The Dye Tube Man”, I lived in both Alabama and Ohio. Lucky me! Dad tried to make me vanish at an early age in Alabama, but, fortunately, never was successful. He even had several magicians try to do me in on stage at several IBM national conventions to no avail. Richard, you really should come to Magi-Whirl. There can never be too many silks to be sold or performers to dazzle! Besides, I’d love to have you join Bob in assisting me. What a dynamic duo that would be---squirrels and all! Now, that’s grist for the mill!
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
If you ask me I think the best tube today is the Porper, because it is the closest thing to the Paul Fox design.

If you want to learn how to use it properly, study the Vernon "Revelations" video (Volume 10). Vernon shows that method that he learned from the creator of the trick and in my opinion it is the best and most natural handling there is.

Levent
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Levent, now I have to go do some more research so I am familar more with this model.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi Richard:

Take a look at the Vernon "Revelations" video.

Remember the Professor was quite old when the footage was shot, so you can't just judge the move on the video. You have to practice it a bit but you will see that the method he uses to steal the gimmick is very natural.

When I first saw the video I wanted to learn that handling but I didn't have the vintage Paul Fox Gimmick that Vernon was using and it didn't quite work with my trusty Rice Palmo ball.

Then when I saw the Porper Dye Tube I was shocked and thrilled that it looked so much like the Paul Fox gimmick that Vernon was using. So I jumped on it and the trick now works great (also I have a lot of secret work on the color changing silk that I'll be glad to show you if we ever meet).

Levent

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 10:41am
Hi Richard:

I just got home from a two week trip and while away I was making myself crazy trying to remember the name of the originator of the dye tube move that Vernon used. I finally looked it up and the name is Julius Dresbach.

Levent
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Levent,
Thanks for your always invaluable insight. You know me all too well.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Bob & Ruth...

Wow...I would LOVE to attend that! My semi-pro act, years ago, was mostly silks...vanish...20th Century, Sympathetic, Color Change/Dye...penetrate (reel), and many others.

If my retirement/investment plans are realized by that time, I'll see ya there!

Meantime, back on topic...I just bought from Ruth/Silk King Studios, a new Palmo, and a simplex. I already have the two Johnson tubes (large & small). So I have a BOX full of Dye Tubes, new & old!

My observation on the new ones from Silk King Studios: the paint is thicker, silkier (pun intended, ha ha haaa!), and coincidently, matches my skin color perfectly! Obviously the quality of Silk King is as fine as it's ever been. Great to see in this day and age of "make 'em fast and get 'em out"!

Ruth, I hope your supply of silks is still copious. I LOVE the red and yellow ones you included in my purchase! I can tell Silk King silks just by their feel. I have several that are over 20 years old, along with non-SKS silks...my OLD SKS silks are STILL LIKE NEW...the non-SKS's look like ladies stockings with RUNS all through them!!

Doug
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-11-19 11:25, Rice wrote:
The rumor is true! Bob Sanders, one of the most knowledgeable silk magic artists, will be demonstrating the Rice dye tubes at Magi-Whirl! Lucky me, to have Bob as a friend and "assistant"! All silk magic lovers should register for Magi-Whirl today!
http://www.Magi-Whirl.org

Ruth,

WOW! I appreciate the confidence and comments. I hope I can earn even part of that! Thank you!

Certainly we will all have a good time and maybe get to make some dye tube discoveries and decisions. They are among the most versatile of all magic props. With a little imagination and patter they can customize any show to the specific purpose.

I'm dying to play with the dye tubes and to see what others are doing with them too.

See you in April.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Doug, take early retirement and be there!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Which Dye Tube to purchase? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL