The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Custom Sponge Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have an effect in mind that I would like to market this fall, that would use spongeballs, but the sponge balls would have to be not sponge balls, but rather sponge ball material custom crafted into a creature I have in mind. To do this by hand would be darn near impossible, because of the details of the thing. At best it would be very tedious, and the results would probably be less than satisfactory.

Now if I wanted to market this creation, obviously, I would need hundreds of them, and that puts doing it myself out of the question, as there is just not that much time in the world. But, seriously, I think I've hit upon gold with my idea, and could have a hit on my hands, if I can only get it manufactured.

The routine would be pretty much a standard sponge ball routine, but the uniqueness of the props and the patter would really make it original, and I believe, quite commercial. (Sort of like the effect "Lady Bugged" which used sponges shaped and painted like lady bugs to add new appeal to an old classic.) Only, what I have in mind is far from cute little lady bugs!

Does anybody know of any place where I can get sponges custom shaped into whatever I have in mind?

Thanks,

Doug
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Magic By Gosh is the only name that comes to mind. I had one of their "Dragon Eggs" until I gave it away as a gift. It's highly detailed, and I have no clue how they could cut such a thing out of a single cube. If anyone can do it, they can.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I could be wrong, but isn't foam rubber mixed and poured into molds? I know that sponge effects are cut from blocks but those blocks are made somehow. At least is special FX we use foam rubber that's baked in molds, though its much more dense. Like I said, I don't whether it would work in this case, but I think its worth at least finding out.
Sent from my Typewriter
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-05-24 22:38, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Magic By Gosh is the only name that comes to mind. I had one of their "Dragon Eggs" until I gave it away as a gift. It's highly detailed, and I have no clue how they could cut such a thing out of a single cube. If anyone can do it, they can.

Do they have their own web site?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Mike Wong who make Dragon thread also make nice handmade rabbitt sponges. You can check him out also.

I don't know Gosh has a website or not but here is the copany address:
MAGIC BY GOSH
12707 FOOTHILL BLVD #F
SYLMAR, CA 91342-5302
(818) 365-2128
FAX: (818) 361-4104
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Eddie Ace from Pittsburgh has custom carved sponges for various guys. He is reasonably and could make one of's. Other than that, you may want to try it youself. Soak the sponge with water and freeze it. Then use an electric carving knife. You can also do it dry with scissors. If you want to color it, use permanent magic markers.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Custom Sponge Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL