The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I'm going to quit smoking again (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Seriously, havn't had a full cigarette all day ... as soon as this ashtray full of butts is gone, all I've got is some gum. I've tried before, obviously not successfully. The longest I made it was six months.

This time I have high hopes, I need to quit to finish my quest to sword swallow ... I can finally get a strand of spagetti down my pharlynx. The acid the smoking triggers in the belly is no help for the SwSw'r, so I'm really determined this time. More determined then ever before.

Anyone have any tips or tricks? I know all the usual ones, here's one I'll share that I don't see in the lititure: pay-at-pump. The most likely place you will break down is when buying gas, all those cigarette boxes staring at you ... just pay at the pump with your CC and you won't have to look at them.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Nicotine gum doesn't work for me, I can't keep it lit! (and the patch won't stick to my tongue) Seriouly, I hope you make it...
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
LOL!

Slim, think about this ... it was with your help that I was able to get past the pharlynx. I believe in the notes you sent me, you mentioned that you had lost a few friends to SwSw'ing. Now, you may have just saved the life of one! Smile

Again, thank you Slim.
JoeJoe
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
That's it! If you have been that successful at giving up smoking, why not repeat it to encourage others?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
The problem in quitting smoking is that it is REALLY easy. The only thing easier is to start it again... unfortunately.

I have to admire my dad's willpower. When I was born, he'd been smoking for 15 years and just decided to quit. Nothing to aid him. Haven't had a smoke since.

I haven't been very succesful in quitting, but have been able to cut down considerably-now a pack lasts about 4 days. I never smoke at home, only when I am at work and my goal is to quit completely when summer vacation begins.
Sent from my Typewriter
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
About twenty months ago I suffered three pulmonary embolisms on the same day within two hours.

Needless to say I was 911'd to the ER where I was immediately transferred to Intensive Care.

I remained in Intensive Care for about a week and then was transferred to a regular room for a few days.

Now, what I want to say other than making a comment on how all of my attending physicians looked like they were too young to shave, is that You Can Quit!!

While I had a tremendous incentive to stop smoking, I believe that it is possible for anyone with a strong determination.

I smoked for thirty years. I no longer smoke and am glad that I quit.

I'm not preaching here, I just know that you can do it.

Need some support?

Just PM me and I will tell you what I know and what I personally went through.

Thanks,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Applause, Vincent!!

I quit in early 2001, having smoked since the early 1970's. My motivation?? I was watching a video we had taken on Christmas morning in 2000. My young son was staring at all the presents that Santa had left him, and my wife, who was running the camcorder, was telling him not to open anything until I got out there. I could be heard in another room going through my customary early morning coughing fits. When I realized I was screwing up my only child's Christmas, I put the cigarettes down and never touched them again.

Everyone needs their own motivation.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1240 Posts

Profile of Jeff
JoeJoe, you can do it, you just have to want to quit. It took a heart attack and triple bypass before I quit.

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Thanks for all the encouragement ... no butts left today, so it'll be the first day withot a cigarette. Already getting fidgity, some shaking and a lot of finger tapping.

But I am excited and more determined then ever, just the thought of sword swallowing keeps my spirits high. If anything will motivate me to quit, it is my audience.

JoeJoe
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
JoeJoe:

Go for it!!! Keep up the good work. I was a three pack a day man for about 10 years. I went cold turkey about 20 years ago. I don't even want one. The first 5 years are the hardest. After that, it doesn't worry you.

I decided to quit because I earn my living with my voice. I figure that a public speaker who smokes is about as smart as a concert pianist who bangs his fingers with a hammer right before he goes on stage.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
Hey JoeJoe,

I smoked from the 70s until 6 years ago. Over about a week's time I cut my smoking nearly in half each day... 2 packs, a pack, half a pack, 10, 5, a couple... then none. I was preparing to go for several days of long hikes in a very humid environment and knew that smoking less would make the event more pleasurable. It was for purely selfish intent and was a short term objective; didn't necessarily plan on quitting forever. However, once I had cut down to nothing I just grabbed that momentum and stuck with it.

I think one of the things that really helped was having a strong focus on my other project, the hiking trip. It was something I had really wanted to do for a long time and had been working up to it. The focus wasn't on quitting, so I didn't have that "don't smoke, don't smoke, don't smoke" ringing in my head. It was a positive motivation, to prepare for a positive event. I wasn't focused on NOT doing something... smoking.

When the urge comes over you take deep breaths, long slow breaths. That'll give you a little tingle and help you relax to get past the momentary desire. But mainly, focus on the things you're working to achieve. Focus on the sword swallowing. The quit-smoking project is not an end in itself. It is just one of many steps you're taking to prepare yourself for a greater thing. And it's okay to be selfish about it. Do it because YOU have other more important things going on, and smoking gets in the way of that. Then pursue your other goals with a vigor.

Good luck to ya!

Greg
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I have been a smoker for 13 years before I stopped 8 years ago. This is something I'm very proud of.

On the last day of smoking, I told myself that I will not smoke tomorrow. Had my last one just before midnight. For the following 2 years, I stopped playing mahjong, stopped fishing and stop going to pubs. These are the places I tend to smoke more.

Greg's advice on taking deep breaths, long slow breaths actually helps. Hope you persevere and succeed.
Bernard Sim
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Deep breaths ... right ... umm, do I do this before or after I choke the living crap outta someone??? Grrr ...

It seemed to get a little tougher at work today, but I'm hanging in there. Gum helps, but I'm trying not to get hooked on gum this time around - that's not quitting, just going from one addiction to another. I think the gum is actually worse on your health.

But I'm still hanging in there, gonna go stick something down my throat to remind me of why I am doing this. Thanks again for your encouragment.

JoeJoe
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Oh yea ... get this - I actually felt like exercising today! I hope that part passes quickly, last thing I want to do is go get myself in good shape or anything like that.

JoeJoe
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I forgot to mentioned that after I stop smoking, I put on 7 kgs. You'll need to exercise.
Bernard Sim
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A friend of mine told me that when he quit smoking, he did it by eating apples instead of smoking cigarettes. He added, "I'm down to two bushels a day now."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-05-25 23:36, Bill Palmer wrote:
A friend of mine told me that when he quit smoking, he did it by eating apples instead of smoking cigarettes. He added, "I'm down to two bushels a day now."

Yeah, and tobacco makes crappy pie.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Being a Virginia boy, I started smoking at about 13. Quit when I was 23 (about three packs a day), started again at 28 (when I got divorced), and quit finally (I hope) about 9 months ago. I feel great. Joejoe, if I can do it, so can you. I didn't even have to kill many people to do it.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Some people are good at procrastinating and getting distracted.

Once upon a time someone put their pack of cigarettes down on the end table of the living room, and decided to practice procrastinating.

Whenever they got the urge or impulse to smoke, they would procrastinate, and get around to it later, then go do something else.

They must have improved their procrastinating skills over the last few years, as today they don't even know where that box of cigarettes is now.

They are sure if they wanted to smoke they could find them or get more, but they will get around to that later. They have other things to do.

Can you procrastinate? Will you let yourself procrastinate on smoking?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Nice Jonathan, that's a strategy I can get behind.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I'm going to quit smoking again (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL