We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I'm going to quit smoking again (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
froggyman
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of froggyman
Good luck on giving them up. Now if I can only give up Donuts!
Froggy
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
So far so good, with the exception of a few bursts of road rage I have been pretty calm today. Chewing some gum.

As I was driving to work, I thought about some of the jokes posted here ... you guys are great, that helped take the edge off. If you got anymore, keep em coming!

I said to myself there is no way I'm breaking down now, there is just no way I'm coming home to have to post that I started smoking again ... this is turning out into a great motivational factor in itself, glad I posted. Smile

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
JoeJoe,

Congratulations on wanting to quit!

Thanks to Jeff McBride and Eugene Burger I was able to quit using Allen Carr's truly magical book, The EasyWay to Quit Smoking. They recommended it to me over 2 years ago. I read it in a weekend. At the end of the book, Carr tells you to go have your last cigarette.....and you do!

No hassles, withdrawals, etc....

All the best ~ Fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
qwism
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of qwism
Good luck mate.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Holding my head down in shame, I must confess I broke down yesturday and lit up. <sigh>

I'll check out this book Fredrick, already found a place I can order it online but I'm hoping I can pick it up locally.

JoeJoe
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Here is my method I came up with. It works. It sounds dumb but it WORKS. I'll be brief and condense it for you.

Have your last cig at 9pm. The next morning when you get up say at 7 am, you have not smoked for 10 hours. You have been a non-smoker for that time. Thus at the moment of awakening, you are a NON-Smoker. As a Non-Smoker, why would you have an urge to lite up? If you are a Non-Smoker, you wouldn't. So...any weird feelings, MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE. Tell your self that. EVERY TIME. Example...you don't eat dog turds (I'm assuming) thus if you have a craving or odd urge it wouldn't be for a dog turd right? MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE...might be for some Mandarin Oranges or a walk around the block or chewing on a pencil...but it can't be for a cig because you are a NON Smoker...as a NON Smoker it wouldn't even cross your mind any more than a dog turd would. List lots of SOMETHING ELSES that you can turn to. Remember your metabolism will be altered so try and not gain 40 lbs by turning to the wrong something elses. Talk to your own mind...It Must Be Something Else...

Try it for 3 days. Then 3 weeks. Then 3 months.

Live long and prosper.
Posted: Jun 2, 2005 1:09pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please read my method in the above post...and here's what will happen and why you WILL do it for three days...and beyond...

* "Just 20 minutes after your last cigarette, your blood pressure and
pulse rate drop to normal and the body temperature of your hands and
feet increases to normal."

* "A mere 8 hours after your last smoke, the carbon monoxide level
decreases and the oxygen level in your blood increases to normal."

* "Just 24 hours after your last cigarette, you substantially lessen
your chances of having a heart attack."

* "Two days after your last cigarette, you will notice that your
ability to taste and smell is enhanced."

* "Three days later, your breathing should be noticeably better
because your lung capacity will be greater."

* "Your circulation will improve and your lung functioning will
increase up to 30% within two weeks to three months after quitting."

* "Between one month and nine months, the cilia in your lungs will
regenerate, allowing your body to clean your lungs and reduce
infection."

* "One year after quitting, your risk of coronary heart disease is
half that of a smoker."

* "Five years after quitting, your risk of stroke is reduced to that
of a nonsmoker."

* "Ten years after quitting, the lung cancer death rate is about half
that of a continuing smokers. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat,
esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decreases."

* "Fifteen years after quitting, your risk of coronary heart disease
is that of a nonsmokers.

(U.S. Surgeon General's Reports (1988, 1990)

Note: You may cough more for a week or two as the lungs clean themselves. Also smoking tends to burn calories faster so it's best to attempt some form of excercise to compensate.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-05-26 23:09, JoeJoe wrote:...
I said to myself there is no way I'm breaking down now, there is just no way I'm coming home to have to post that I started smoking again ...

Doomed from the start by negative language.

Yes, you did. Okay it was a day later the self fulfilling prophesy came true for you.

How about a more positive statement of your goal and your desired outcome?

How do you know a magician smokes? They stink!

Perhaps you could try something like: "I would like myself and my clothes to smell better" or "I want to enjoy the air I breathe and the smells of the food I enjoy"

Go for it!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
In your mind is the key and the lock.

The lock is your smoking.
The key is your conviction.

I have the impulse to grab at the behinds of beautful women. I use the key to lock this desire into the realms of just a thought and not an action.

I have stopped a few times.
Each time I just stopped dead and lasted for anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. I found it easy.
I restarted only by unlocking that area and letting myself go.
The next time I give up I will throw away the key.

Joejoe. I can PM you with some ways to control the feelings and thoughts you have if you want.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
No need to be ashamed just don't do it anymore. Hell, Eugene Burger quit smoking, you can too. And I'm telling you, he smoked A LOT. Hang in there Bud, it get'd better, I promise.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I think it had more to do with fighting with my girlfriend for three days over this whole sword swallowing issue than anything else, I know she doesn't want me doing it - she feels it is more dangerous than the bullet catch. She doesn't understand why I must do it ... nobody does, nobody ever will. I can't explain it myself, I just know it's something I have to do. There is no way I can not do it.

I will quit ... soon I'm sure, I can't keep smoking if I want to keep my pitchmans voice. I was able to quit last summer when doing the shows, it will happen again this summer I know it.

Partizan: feel free to PM me anything you want on the subject, I'm willing to listen to any suggestions. They say nicotine is the most addictive substance known to man, even more addictive than herrion. My biggest problem is my temper when going through withdrawl. It's defidently something I do not want to be doing, I just had to calm down.

JoeJoe
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Quiter...
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
Look at quitting from this perspective:

1. Smoking is not a weight control measure

2. Smoking cannot reduce tension, end frustrations, solve problems, nor relax you

3. If it could perform these miracles, certain things would have to be true, for example:

a. Every smoker ought to be skinny and relaxed

b. We would have very little need for things like Librium and Prozac

c. Doctors would prescribe nicotine for their overweight, tense patients

Above all, why don't the tobacco companies tell us of these miracles? They are yet free to advertise. I know nothing of marketing but I do have enough common sense to know that if I possessed a product that could reduce or relax people---I would tell them. I wouldn't try to convince them that they could look like cowboys; I'd just tell 'em they could be skinny and relaxed.

I've met very few people who were happy with their weight and no one ever convinced me they were not tense sometime or other. So what more universal appeal could any product have than that it relaxes and reduces? If you and I can puzzle that out, don't you suppose there must be someone at some tobacco company at least as smart as us? So why have we not seen ads promising us we could benefit in these wonderful ways by smoking?

I think any person wanting to quit should look objectively at their habit. If what they did were not killing them it would be funny. They are grown people who yet need a pacifier. They set fire to little weeds and stick 'em under their noses while all the time knowing what any intelligent person must; that there is no hope of a benefit and that the only result of smoking is that it robs them of health and vigor.

The government periodically releases reports on smoking. These studies suggest that only about 22% of adults now smoke and that over 70 million Americans have quit. The average person quit 19 years ago and about 90% of them quit on their own. That is, they didn't chew gum, eat pills, or wear patches. They just got tired of being a snook and threw them away.

What's the big deal? If 70 million people have quit, I suspect you can, too.

As a psychotherapist, I suggest all my clients engage in a bit of honest reasoning. There will be no parade when you quit. They won't name the nearest school after you. You aren't the first, just the 70 millionth. Get on with it, and if you need help, see a hypnotherapist. It really works and has been accepted by the AMA for more than 40 years. But, hypnosis doesn't make it possible to quit, it only makes it easier. The 70 million Americans who quit--most of whom couldn't spell hypnosis--show that the only thing necessary to quitting is a sufficient will to be free of this terrible burden.

Good luck to you.
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Home Page: http://www.ERHutchison.com
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
It's hard, but it's possible... Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. But, you have to really want it. And that's the difficulty for many people. That and the confrontation with people with whom you shared the habit. They (mostly involuntarily) make you want to start again.
And in life, as in magic, wanting, wishing is the key.
If you really want those little devils to disappear, you will succeed. If you see it as something that you have to do (unless for medical reasons), you probably won't.
That's how I see it.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
2. Smoking cannot reduce tension, end frustrations, solve problems, nor relax you

Smoking may not reduce tension, but nicotine withdrawal most definitely trigger tension and anger. I am beginning to realize that most of my failed attempts were due to my anger and tension created by this withdrawal. Perhaps that is the underlying factor that I need to address. I can fight off the cravings, up to the point that I can't handle the stress of it. Right now, I'd like to just disappear for a week or two, fall off the face of the earth ... and return a non-smoker. I can't take a vacation right now, but if I don't quit I may try that route this fall.

Traveler: interesting enough, the people that nag me the most to quit ... are the same people that end up telling me to light up!

Last night when practicing the SwSw'ing, I had a nice burst of stomach acid come up ... smoking is something that I must do for medical reasons if I want to achieve my goal in life. So it will happen, I may see a doctor and get that Zyban pill thingy.

Like so many other times in my life, I again I find myself wishing I had become a doctor so I could come up with my own alternative type concoction, it's not the tobacco that is the problem - the problem is what they do to the cigarettes that make them addictive. Like, soaking them in ammonia so the nicotine can bond to the lungs faster. If you have ever smoked straight tobacco from the leaf, you would know what I mean - it is an entirely different effect, there is no "rush". If I was a doctor, maybe I could figure out a way to block that bonding process and prevent the rush ... rendering cigarettes useless to a smoker, even if there was a relapse. Not many doctors think like magicians, and that's really a bad thing - as magicians are (IMHO) the most creative people in the world.

JoeJoe
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quit for yourself, Quit for others.

4,000 people each year die of 2nd hand smoke.

Good Luck!
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
I can tell you of a way to cut down drastically. For example, from 40 cigarettes a day to 5, when the urge comes for a smoke its only the first 2 puffs needed to satisfy your craving for nicotine, then put it out. Next time you want your 2 puffs relight your submit will taste stale so after one puff put it out. You keep doing this you will find that your intake will reduce. After one week you will have convinced yourself that you have cut down to 5 and also have quite a bit more money in your pocket, mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I'm going to quit smoking again (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL