The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Patenting Illusions without revealing the method? Possible? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I would like to patent some designs of original illusions I've created but am not willing to give away their methods... (I'm funny that way...)

In other words, I just wanna patent their "outward" design...

Is it possible? Has anyone done it before? I think I've heard Steinmeyer has done it, but can't remember for what illusion...

Is this true?

Thanks in advance...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Yes, Jim has a patent on "Origami" as well as something else, just cant remember what it was... Whether it is an actual patent or a similar thing, I am not sure of. I think you should contact a patent office locally and ask for their assistance.
Sent from my Typewriter
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
I've had very successful dealings in the past with this law firm who specializes in patents and trademarks worldwide. Here's their website:
http://www.4patent.com. They are based in the Patent Building in Arlington, Virginia USA which is directly across from the United States Patent Office in Washington, DC.
They'll send you a comprehensive brochure as soon as you request one. They are top-notch professionals to deal with. If you have any problems accessing their site, PM me and I'll find another way to contact them. Good luck.
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
Speak to Bruce Chadwick he is an expert!!
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
You cannot get a patent without revealing the full workings. Patent is for the public good and expires and must be porotected by the holder.

If you wish to TRADEMARK the dress of soemthing -- that it possiblle and expensive.

If you wish to COPYRITE a stage setting or visual represntation -- that is about $30 ande VERY DIFFICULT to enforce economically.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Patents are for the workings of an invention, not the look. Unless there is some new construction methods or design techniques you are using, a patent wouldn't work for you. Like Chmara said, you can trademark it. I am currently working on a book about magical and theatrical patents and have collected nearly 500 so far. Every one of them does either one of two things: Explains a new method to achieve a result or improves upon an earlier patent. It seems the most common reason these things were patented were to prevent contemporary performers from competing. To the best of my knowledge, Origami is not patented, though many well known effects are including the Svengali deck, the Zombie, Nickles to Dimes, and the flying that DC uses.

Thanks,
Richard
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
I'm sorry but you are wrong!! You CAN get a "design patent"!!! This does NOT disclose the workings of the item and only protects the "look" of the item. Coke for example, had a design patent for their famouse green ribbed bottle years ago. Everybody knew at a glance it was a coke even if the printing wore off! Other companies do the same thing to protect their investment in their product design. And yes Steinmeyer DOES have a "design" patent on Origami.

Jack
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I stand corrected Smile A design patent would seem to be very difficult to enforce, however. I can't imagine any design element that could be so unique as to render it unusable in future designs. What if, for example, I designed an "Origami" effect that used the same workings, but looked like a Russian nesting doll instead of a Japanese box. Would Steinmeyer be protected by his patent? I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'm just not sure where the line would be drawn.

BTW: Do you know the patent number of the the Origami design? I could only find one patent by Steinmeyer and that is for an optical device that uses a TV to do a Pepper's Ghost type illusion. Maybe I could understand better if I was looking at the papers themselves.

Thanks,
Richard
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
D345,595

Notice the D before the patent number.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Thanks Ricker, found it. I've done a little reading today on design patents and have learned quite a bit. I didn't realize that utility and design patents were categorized differently. It looks like design patents have been around since the 1870s and were first used to patent the look of a font. Now I have a whole new place to research. ( Smile or Smile I'm not sure which...)

Does anyone know of any other magic-related design patents? I would be interested in including them in my book.

Thanks,
Richard
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Wow... I left this thread hoping maybe I'd get one post but am now officially pleasantly surprised...

Thanks everyone!

Btw, ricker... What's that D345,595 number? How'd you access the patent design with that number?

Thanks again!!!!

Smile
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
That's the # for Origami!

Jack
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
http://www.uspto.gov and search.

Actualy, I did a search on Steinmeyer as the last name and they all come up.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Ooo... Thanks!

Smile
camikesrd
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond,Virginia
103 Posts

Profile of camikesrd
Sreinmeyer has a design patent for Oragami and Interlude .The Galamo levitation

Copperfields Flying and a lot other are patented and that is public record

accessable on your computer.Someone put out a book in the 1960-1970 with all

thw patent numbers he could find. I have about 25 illusions I could find, i'm

retired and it took me about a month to figure their system but it's fun....

Mike Walsh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Patenting Illusions without revealing the method? Possible? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL