The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stopping Watches? How about turning off the TV with your mental powers! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mishel
View Profile
New user
Israel
100 Posts

Profile of Mishel
Hey,
I just found this little device while searching for some other electronic bits.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/755e/

Looks nice.
Mishel.
Don't let the same dog bite you twice.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Could be good! Shame about the amount of time it takes.
Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Mishel
View Profile
New user
Israel
100 Posts

Profile of Mishel
Thought about that too.
But since most of thr TV sets will turn off after no more then 17 seconds, I look at it as a means to FORCE showmanship.
Since you are actually not certain about when will it happen and wether if will happen at all, it will be easy to think about it as if you are truly doing it with your mind.
Mishel.
Don't let the same dog bite you twice.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
True, but my concern over the time is whether you would need to hold down the button the whole time, or if you just press it once and it'll turn off in however long.
Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
mwilliams
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of mwilliams
Pointing that thing towards the TV is bound to be suspicious, however strong the misdirection. Considering it's only $15, I'd more more inclined to take the thing to pieces, put the infra-red LED on flesh coloured flyleads ending under my watch strap, and add a single on/off toggle switch on flyleads to my other hand.

That way, you wouldn't have to hold down the button and pointing at the TV could be incorporated into the presentation.

I presume it's similar to TV control watches, etc, sending a single command (ie: off), on a range of different frequencies. The time it takes to turn off would depend on the specific frequency the set responds to, so assuming the TV is a fairly well known and modern brand, it would work perfectly well.
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
Whoa! Can you imagine this in a crowded pub on a Saturday afternoon, hoards of football fans glued to the set, and suddenly the TV is turned off! Or walking down the street clicking of sets one by one. Mischief for idle hands maybe.
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
The Count of Three
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of The Count of Three
When this device was first announced a while back, I remember much buzz in the U.S. media about it, so a lot of people know such a device exists. To repeat what dr chutney was saying about football fans: using this with the wrong crowd may well result in bodily harm to the mentalist.

Even if this device did not exist, and one (somehow) managed to shut off the TV using one's mind, in certain situations, I think a pummeling would still follow. Smile Proceed with caution.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Yes but can you turn it back on with your mind?
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Don't know about TV B Gone but you can find gizmos that work both ways
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
This would be a pranksters dream. I could see this usefull when doing a performance in a private home enviroment.
xxx
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Timex used to sell a watch that had a programmable IR transmitter for various makes of TV – it even worked through glass. My wife could not understand why I was suddenly so keen to drive her to the shopping mall. The reason? While she was busy walking the aisles, I was off to the TV and Hifi shops where I would point this thing at the display TV’s in the window and turn the volume up to maximum – then watch the staff buzzing around like wasps trying to find (a) which TV was suddenly blaring and (b) where the controls were to switch the *** thing off!

Hee-hee. Naughty!

Drew
Amir
View Profile
Loyal user
New York.
296 Posts

Profile of Amir
I have had that for months now, and I have never thought to use it as mentalism! I just thought it was useful to go into best buy and enrage the employees!
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
This one is available in UK and turns volume up and down and changes channels.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=stts8......e=598157

would give more options..

Howard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stopping Watches? How about turning off the TV with your mental powers! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL