The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Does the qualtity of the prop used dictate how the audience percieves you? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I think that perspective is the answer. If you do a stage act you want to fill the stage with props, If you are a busker you want a dynamite show that you can tuck under your arm. I am not a busker, but I drive a Hyundai Accent and Mr. Wolfe's products wouldn't fit in my car.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2005-05-25 15:05, Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown wrote:
I guess what I am saying is that you don't have to spend, spend, spend to entertain someone.

I agree. It is possible to make your own QUALITY props.

Posted: Jul 7, 2006 10:14am
Quote:

On 2006-06-21 01:01, p.b.jones wrote:
they are items shall we say that are...... from this planet.

LIKE that, Phillip.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Chris McBrien said:
"Tim Hannig out of Chicago uses a minimum of props, but they're nice props, in his show. The audience came to see him, not the props. He's one of the best children's entertainers in the country...and I"m sure he'd tell you that it's what works for the audience (although I can't because he'd beat me up). "

Chris,
How could I beat you up after a compliment like that? Thanks, Chris. It's true. I was just looking at my school show props the other day, realizing how much entertainment value is packed into so few things.

Why, oh, why, then, do I have a basement full of magic?!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
There are some great posts here with plenty to consider.

I think that good business decisions need to be made at all times. And how yo are perceived by the audience is very important. Maybe gold plated linking rings won't make the difference, but Clean, functional, durable, and not showing signs of overwear and years of use is a must in my mind. and if you are playing a hobo, drifter, gambler, whatever....it is incumbent upon us to be clean and well groomed. Now I realize that that is a little bit of a no brainer but there are some buskers who really need to clean up there acts. My character is a Pirate, and with the lack of fresh water at sea, and living conditions aboard ship... I should have carte blanche t olook like a "bag of dirt". I dress the part, but the laundry is done daily, and everything is clean and fresh for my street act. Just my two cents worth, with a slightly twisted bias towards street.

As for Closeup, table hopping, parties etc... these points shouldn't even need to be discussed.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Every time I have invested - and I use that word as a businessman - in equipment, props, lighting systems or advertising the rewards have been greater then the expense.

Look at the problem two ways - A. Your shoes need shined and your props are beat up. B You look marvelous and your equipment does too.

Question

who are you going to hire?
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Jay's got a point. I think the dilema has become divided, though, into two camps.

Do you need a LOT of props or not?

Do your props have to be nice or not?

Jay has a wonderful point. My shoes are generally shined and my clothes are nice..simple...but nice. And my equipment looks good.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I would say get the cheaper prop if there is a big difference in price. After using it, and you like the routine you've developed (and you'll use it), trade up if you feel the need. No sense spending money on a expensive prop until you know you will use it.

I have also found many magicians "live on the line" and sell these nicer props at a discount when they need the cash. Sometimes other magicians can't work them in their show, and don't want them gathering dust. Nice prop, 40% off - better yet.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
There is a hell of a lot of people here who I think are just trying to justify their crappy cheap (or homemade) props.

Yes - props that look cheap and nasty will make YOU look cheap and nasty.

If you make your living from performing magic or even if you just perform regularly, you need to make sure your props look good. They don't have to look the best...they just need to be really good.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Also, keep in mind some of us just don't want to haul their living rooms into a school...time constraints for both client and performer. I've sold most of my bulky props for this reason. They're buying me, not the props. The props I do have are very nice, and I get complimented all the time for them.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I use props that are from bright colors to a simple stick. I have thought of painting it yellow and actually bought a yellow cane stick and used it for a while. I think it is somewhere in my trunk. May use it in tonights gig.

I agree it depends on the venue. Juggling apples or plain wooden balls may or may not fit better in a Ren-Fest as opposed to bright collored ones...

Some of my programs are filled with primary colors, others are all silver.

Yesterday the prop most talked about was the 2 spiral coils that seem to pull and pull and pull but never come apart....It is a short and simple bit used as a transition.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Many years ago I received a review letter from a elementary school principal that after commenting about how much the kids enjoyed the show she added the following

“His costume was clean and pressed. His equipment was clean and in good condition”

I have always wondered who was the last entertainer this school used before me.

My feeling on props is that the more Cartoony the better (is that a word). But that is my style and would not work for everyone.

Props should look good. It does not matter if you made them yourself as long as they don’t look like you made them yourself. Unless you are working as a tramp clown then they should look like you made them yourself.

Props should look clean. Get your dust cloth out and polish them. If your equipment looks like you just eat an ice cream bar then clean them.

Props should suit your character. If your wearing a Tux, then don’t buy anything from Chance (leave them for me). But think about your total image you present to the audience. I am sure you put lots of though into your effect and routine, put just as much thought into how the prop looks and fits into your image.

Ignore everyone else’s opinion and do what fits you………
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Nicholas J. Johnson
Quote:
There is a hell of a lot of people here who I think are just trying to justify their crappy cheap (or homemade) props.

Where are you coming from???? Why do they need justification - from any of us? Why is “homemade” and “cheap” in the same boat as "crappy"? YOU may not make props at your home because YOU make crappy props - but don't toss the rest of us in your boat! The ones I have made are better quality than I could buy - IF I could find them.

Why cannot a cheaper prop be colorful? Why can't we just paint them? Is there a law saying "Thou shall not modify a prop"?

Take Chance's products - they look fun - all by themselves, and they are built to last. They are great, well thought out products. They do not look like normal objects - which will be a plus for some acts, and for acts like mine, a minus. Many are also bulky and so more difficult to transport, but on the up side they can fill a stage with color. Also, some (shallow) people will judge your act by it's props. These beautiful props, while possibly giving the magician more confidence, they also take some of the spotlight from the magician (not necessarily a bad thing). Do kids love them? - for sure. Kids like other things as well. Wouldn't it be terrible if we all used the same props?

When it comes to shiny boxes, they look fun but also often shout out "gimmick" and can take away from the magic too. I want my magic props to look like normal every day objects. I also appreciate “packs flat, plays big” – but I do believe that is often over-used. For my acts, a box that looks like a "trick box" is self defeating. Entertaining, yes, but less magical in one sense. I guess you can compare "Disney" and "Harry Potter". When I think magic, I think "Harry Potter" NOT "Disney" - but that is my preference, not a "rule". One of Harry Potter’s “props” would look like JUNK at Disney. Would you expect to see a Disney-like prop in a Harry Potter movie – only with a muggle magician! Please don’t think I dislike any Wolf products. I think they are WONDERFUL and they have great entertainment value. Most would not work into my act.

Yes, we need to be aware of the how our props reflect on us, and it is important to get props that are dependable, but in my experience, cheap does not equal crappy, nor does expensive equal good quality. I think we all have bought expensive “junk” and have inexpensive gems. Homemade, at least in my home, means it will stand the test of time. Homemade also often means MORE expensive than what is out there. Anyone who has made props knows it takes a lot of work and trial and error to get things to work right - and that often involves a lot more expense and time then it would to just buy one mass produced "off the shelf" with all the thinking done for you.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Well done, Jay, for resurrecting this great thread! No doubt, there is a controversy about using big, colorful props, versus using skill, charisma, and talent. Well, of course, a GOOD entertainer can entertain anyone, pretty much anywhere, anytime.
A good show doesn't need big props, of course. It's just that these props can definitely play a part in our shows. Even if you prefer the idea of a suitcase show, why not bring along ONE big prop, the suitcase only requires one hand?
These things deliver another dimesion to your show. Also, will bring in bookings if pictured on your website, you don't even need to perform with them!
As a child, I would watch kids' entertainers, and sometimes I'd love their business, other times I found it tiresome, and sat waiting for the next "big box".
Ask yourself this question: "When I perform, do I aim to deliver what I can get away with, or what will be the most entertaining for my audience?"
wardini
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of wardini
I feel there are various schools of thought on this and none of them are necessarily wrong.

1) I'm sure that a great entertainer/magician could keep his audience wrapped with skill, charisma, talent and maybe a tt, but how did they become this great entertainer. By years of performance gaining experience, and maybe while gaining this experience they did use lots of props.

2)I take my top hat off to anyone who takes their magic seriously and has the bottle to stand in front of others and perform. If having props, brightly coloured or otherwise, gives them confidence to do that I think that's fine.

3) I don't really feel it matters whether the props are brightly coloured and weird or everyday and ordinary looking so long as the style of prop you use are complimentary to your style of magic.

4) I agree the props should look professional but I don't think joe public will really know, or care, whether your die box cost $60 or $600 so long as it looks the part.

5) I think if you, as the magician, take pleasure from having nice props, or building your own props that's great also.

Anyway, I'm off to polish my wand now. Toodle pip.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Well said wardini!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Does the qualtity of the prop used dictate how the audience percieves you? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL