The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Don Wayne's floating ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Can someone post any links to a demo video, or review of this effect?

I've read it can be performed solo or with help from an assistant for better effect.

I'll probably only be able to use it solo due to the size of the stages (small clubs) 60$ is not a lot for a stage illusion but it is if its not usable.

The last thing I need is another box in my closet of junk effects...

Any help/reviews/insight would be much appreciated...

Steven
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
You may want to check into a Zombie instead. The Don Wayne ball is great, but you may have some problems with it in a small club venue.

Thanks,
Richard
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
If you can find a DW ball buy it! They are no longer being made/sold and if you don't like the effect you can surely sell it here in the Café. I hear from magicians all the time who are looking for a DW ball.

I use the one man method. You can see a video of the DW ball at http://www.timothydrake.ca/video.html you will also be able to see my video of Zombie which will work better in smaller venues.

I bought several of them years ago just in case I had my damaged. Whew...glad I did now that they are unavailable.

Boo Hoo....we'll miss your great products Don Wayne.

Best,

Tim
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Quote:
On 2005-05-27 18:27, Timothy Drake wrote:
If you can find a DW ball buy it! They are no longer being made/sold and if you don't like the effect you can surely sell it here in the Café.

Tim is absolutely correct. If you find one and don't use it, I would be happy to buy it from you! Smile

Richard
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
239 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I was recently at Magic Inc. in Chicago and they had one in their showcase. You could check with them to see if it still available. Their number is 773-334-2855.
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1351 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Tim,
Please contact me in private.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
There is a video - Ryan Reed has it and is in the process of putting it all together.....Its not my call on releasing the video.......
I can tell you, as you already know, the entire routine is not just the ball - its a collaboration of everything in the show) lighting - (which by the way they used 14 automated fixtures), fog, haze and of course routining - I do know they are working on a new version of it.
When the curtain opened for the ball routine, the guys in the booth ( specially me and Ryan ) simply looked at each other and said...WOW ! That moment for me was very magical !
all the best,
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
DW Floating Ball owners take note.

Your silver sphere has turned colour....its turned to gold. Dig them out of your " I'll never do that" closet and sell them to you fellow Café Members.

Best,

Tim
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I found ome last year at a good price and bought it even though I don't have a venue for it yet. It is beautifully made. I'll keep it for any stage shows that come up.

Tim, Thanks for the link to your video. That looks great.

Oliver
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Ill put my name on the list of I want one. I owned one years ago and didn't use it but now that Im back on stage I miss the dw ball. a supurb piece of magic that was not expensive but is a show stopper. Now that they are unavailable I REALLY want one. Im currently doing a floatine handkerchief routine that is similar in operation. Nietehr of the two routines is complex in the handleing but certainly not small club material either. the success with them depend on the place as much as anything. The one man and two man method both have advantages and disadvantages. The method should be based on how you work. (I preferr the two man for my show but the one man is more creative in my book.)
Michael Taggert
Fredericksburg VA
Believe you then that I do strange things
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Hey Michael,
I was through Fredericksburg VA on the last 2 tours - there are some beautiful theaters there that would surely accompdate the floating ball. I'll look you up if we make it that way again in the fall !
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I found a website that mentioned them, that's where I learned of them.

As luck would have it, I can now not find the website that offered them.
Honestly I didn't look very much, I'm sure I can find it again, but still...
If anyone has one willing to sell or better yet trade me, please pm me.

Tim,

Your video really sold me, If I can perform it 1/2 as good as you its well worth
getting. Excellent performance, really.

I currently don't do zombie, I do astrosphere instead. I'm looking to go one better
than zombie or astrosphere free floating ball)

Thanks for your help guys, that made my decision a lot easier...

Steven
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hi Steven,

Glad you enjoyed the video ( thanks for the kind words )and it influenced your decision....BUT...don't sell Zombie short. As much as I enjoy performing the floating ball many venues I perform in either don't have the room, a proper stage or lighting abilities that are required for the DW Floatingi Ball. I developed my Zombie routine to fill this void. If I play a smaller venue I do my zombie. I made my Zombie out of a DW ball so I can switch between the two on stage seemlessly.

Zombie takes some time and acting to get it right but I've gotten great responses with mine.

Best,

Tim
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
For the zombie I saw a guy in Ohio from backstage do the zombie and it still looked amazing. It is all about presentation and selling it to the audience.

Tim not a bad idea putting both into one ball. :O)

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hello Michael,

Someday I'll reverse the process and start off with Zombie and then lead into Floating ball but that will have to wait till I can find the time. Glad to hear of the success with your floating ball. Kudos!

I'm not that far from MI ( 2 hrs from Detroit ) so drop me a line in advance the next time you'll be performing it as I'd love to see it live.

Best,

Tim
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I am not discounting the zombie, I agree its a wonderful effect.

I used to perform the zombie ball, then moved to astrosphere, which is very very
similar but a different method and the foulard is almost see through, so the
effect is greatly enhanced.

I perform the astrosphere with music,to great effect, I just thought if the ball was free floating, that would be an even better.
Timothy, how much set up time does the free floating ball require?

Steven
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Steven,

Hookup is quite simple. I recently did a series of shows back to back where I had to reset the effect between each show. I did it in about 5 minutes each time.

With this said....keep in mind that I spent about 45 minutes getting the light and angles set just right for the first performance but that can be said of any simular effect. The free floating looks better I agree but the audience will be more suspicious of wires or strings so you will have to have things perfect.

I remember when I wanted to do only the DW version but time and experience told me that the Zombie was better for many venues and that a lesser effect ( zombie ) was MORE of an effect than the DW done under the wrong conditions which plays to the audience poorly. One glimpse .....I mean just one little glimpse of the method used in the DW ball ( by the audience ) and you have LOST the audience for the entire effect and made a miracle into a joke. I don't expect you to take my word on this but you will discover it for yourself when you do the DW ball under less than ideal conditions.

Best,

Tim
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1351 Posts

Profile of reedrc
I'm going to agree completley with Tim.
We spend a couple hours getting it right with automated lighting and conventionals. If its too dark you get the tell tale of hiding something.if its too bright you see wires.... Its a difficult balance at times...
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Looks like astrosphere may be fine enough for my needs, it NEVER fails, NEVER
(knocking on wood now to avoid the jinx) Smile

I called every major magic supplier in the united states including tannens and no one has this effect.

Further, Thanks Timothy, I would not never have the perfect angles/lighting in my current stages in my opinion. Performing with my band, we quite often can't even get them to turn off the stage lights (we bring our own) so I doubt some of these
small concert halls/clubs would work with me for setting up something like this.

Currently I do d-lite flite, astrosphere, fickle fire, fire book, a broom suspension and several other illusions during our show. I'd really like to add a knock them dead free floating levitation effect at the end though...

Anyone hear of okido floating ball or okito? or any other easier to manage
free floating effect...? YES I have lite flite and some other itr stuff, but
I'm looking for something bigger and better.

Also, does anyone know where I can get plans or a book on the asrah levitation
with vanish?

Anyone interested in trying to design/build a new free floating ball type effect,
I've heard Don Wayne is all but finished making his...

Steven
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hi Steven,

Okito is the originator of the one man floating method. When you see a one person ball illusion like mine you ARE seeing the okito ball illusion. The DW ball is called that because he manufactured the ball. The two man method is his I think with help from Dick Zimmerman if I remember correctly ?

It sounds like you have a perfect act for the venues your band plays. If it works stay with it. If you want a floating effect that will also knock them dead and can be done surrounded check out the Lodsander ( and only the original Losander ) Floating Table. Check out his website for more info http://www.lodander.com You can see several videos of his tables in performance on the HocusPocus video page.

Best,

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Don Wayne's floating ball (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL