The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Don Wayne's floating ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I have never purchased lite flite, but I had a feeling that's the method lite
flite used. A light up ball would perhaps be nice, but I like my chrome mini
ball.

I DID purchase the hummingbird card hummer/card so I didn't just invent my
hookup of course. Funny how many effects you could buy that are nearly the
same method. I also purchased laser flite, which I'd says is a waste of money...

I was thinking of purchasing lite flite, but now I'm glad I did not, I just saved
myself 20$.

First things first I guess. I'm practicing my handling of this effect. In time I will have a stage roaming free floating ball I'm sure, but for now this is
suffecient and the effect is much better than my zombie all around...

Steven
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
As best I know, that basic hookup may have first begun with STEVE FearsonS' FLOATING CIGARETTE. It is a nice idea and practical for your use.

RE: the light-up ball idea you might try this: Go to TOYS R US and get a white hollow plastic "baseball" (there are different sizes) in the kids sports section. Insert a led light (the flashers with earth magnet at the end) and you are in business if your IT can handle the weight.

Under normal lighting, the lights in the ball are not much visible. When the lights are dimmed or go to a color wash such as red or blue, the light can be seen quite well and "read" over a large area. Bring up the lights again and its just a white ball.

Don't be concerned about the molded-on "stitching" pattern of these plastic balls as from a short distance they are nearly invisible with the interior lit.

I am glad you are putting some thought into this and not just doing standard stuff. That is how cool new ideas are invented.

Good luck!

Some from the Forum have been Emailing me asking about ordering the Dancing Handkerchief Book. (w. info applicable to floating Ball wk). I hope it is Kosher to mention this info here, if not let me know. On contacting several retailers I am standardizing the price to $47.50 + $5 for AIRMAIL 1st Class to anywhere in the U.S. / $15 AIRMAIL outside U.S.
Fastest way is to send you a PayPal Invoice. Book is usually recieved within 3-5 bus. days depending on locale. Hope this helps.

-MikeC
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
189 Posts

Profile of R Don
What would the Don Wayne ball be worth now since it is unavailable?
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
I sent Mike an email on this.

Already, on ebay, his book is going for more than he is selling it for. Check out item 6540366338. As of 6/23, it's at $59.30.

I LOVE eBay! Smile

Update: June 24 2005

It finally ended up selling for $73.15. A classic it is!!! Smile
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Hmmmm...

I probably should order one of those from Mike, sounds very interesting.

Steven
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
You can still get the don wayne floating ball manuscript. then just put what ever kind of ball you want on the thread. Be it a mirror ball or a globe or pretty much anything. you can even get plastic domes and paint them silver. you don't need the Don Wayne floating ball. you can literally use anything you want. be creative and use something that makes more sense than a chrome floating ball that would have no eathly bussiness anywhere but in a magic show.
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
The Don Wayne manuscript is good though concise. It gives care and feeding of the ball plus 2 methods: An Okito-type single line idea and a more complex loop rig.

I have Notes from my floating lecture that has fairly extensive ball info. includes History, Lines & Lighting basics, some Illustrated techniques and a section on several ways to make a floating ball.

The most suprising thing included at the last minute turned out to be the most popular part of the lecture: a "Map" or "Plan" of a classic floating routine detailing Start - Body & Finale' Phsychology and plan of attack for creating strong routines and the effects' impact on an audience. This was based on experimentation and several years of research on the greatest floating routines I could discover. It is much easier to press forward if we understand how well thought-out some of the great routines were, and how much work they put into them.

I don't have the commercial website up yet, but If anyone is interested the notes are $16. Air USPS. I can paypal-invoice and get orders out same day if recieved early.

(RICKER; thanks for the Ebay tip. That was very cool to see! Pls let me know when you recieve the book, I'm interested in how fast USPS is to your part of the country)

Aloha;

-Mike
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Will do Mike. it's a few miles from Hawaii to Alabama.

didn't see it today, but bet Monday or Tuesday
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
A post above made me think as I rarely see these things explained. Why a Chrome (or highly reflective) ball?

Chromed spheres not only look ethereal and catch light well, they reflect their surroundings and light sources consistently No Matter What Angle they are turned. This gives the Illusion the ball is "stable" in space. The phenomena gives no clue to the actual orientation of the ball and helps conceal its manipulation source (valuable in the case of ZOMBI for example). It also helps conceal the giveaway "Dangling" motion to a degree.

True, a ball of solid color gives much the same effect, though colors darker than gold or white may not show up as well. Any type of marking on a ball instantly makes it a "directional" object and gives visible clues to its position. This is usually not an advantage in most floating routines.

-MikeC
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Mike, book came today. Very nice.. good work.

Rick
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
For Haywire...... Hi Steven. Looking at your 'costume'and knowing you work with a rock band, wouldn't The Floating Candle fit your personna better than The Ball. Check out Doc. Dhotels. version. I think.. it may be in Magic Without Apparatus by Camille Gautier but I'll try and search for it. What made me think of it for you was re-viewing an old Doug Henning tape. The long hair, the 'rock style(?)' clothes etc. I think it might be made for you.
Allen Tipton UK

For Haywire again. Steven, I have located The Floating Candle. It's 8 pages long. You need 2 glass (probably brass these days) rings, a long, long length of thread, a candle, a candlestick and 2, easily constructed wire gimmicks. It's one man control but does need a stage. The rig is extremely simple. A ladder and 5 minutes.
The routine needs MUCH rehearsal. The lit candle floats all over the stage including up to the flies and finally into the candlestick.

Do you have an e mail number?
Allen Tipton. UK
allen@tipton27.wanadoo.co.uk
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Horace Marshall copied an effect Harry Blackstone Sr. did and sold it . It was similar to the light bulb. It was the floating glass of milk.

Richard

PS Mike were you going to send me an invoice for the book?
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
(Sorry Richard,)

my apologies, been distracted. invc completed & sent, My bad.

(scrambling to take a show to Kauai from Honolulu and get back for another same day, means creating a "travelling" version of act without fire, nail clippers, scissors ect & ordering items onsite. you know the drill these days. taken a few days to order & customize a travel case, but mostly done. I sure don't wanna do this every week.)

-MC
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
No problem. I will get the paypal out the first back of next week. I have to check the other bills that are due first.

Yes, flying is such a hassle now. I dread flying to do conventions. If I can drive, great. Otherwise, I try to ship most ahead. If it gets through the security stuff, there is a good chance it will be damaged by the inspection or handlers.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Have you tried the light weight inflatable balls that are available now from childrens shops. Its just an air filled rubber ball a lil larger than the orginal DW FB and is considerably lighter too. Yes !!! Lighter than the DW FB. They come in a ethereal silver color but matt finished. It looks like the cloud silver. Not the chrome silver. And they cost about $1 each Smile they are available in my country. Dunno about yours. Try,,, you should find them. They are inflatable too. So you can deflate them and carry them in a small box. And then inflate with a bicycle pump. Kewl right ? This is my only option when my orginal DWFB crashes.
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Thanks for the Tip Plainsman. I spend way too much time in TOY and HARDWARE stores and I always look for new useable ball types. haven't seen this one yet but will look. You might be able to get rid of the matte finish by spraying the ball with silver fast dry spraypaint prior to going on.

I have a new floating ball design I hope to get on the market in the next few months. It's hard for me to be objective, but I think this radical method is pretty cool, and magi who have seen it say it looks great. I'm certainly no Finn Jonn, but I keep plugging away.

More soon, lets keep this thread active:D Welcome JADE! You are one of my all-time favorites.
AJMagicman
View Profile
New user
Naples, FL
9 Posts

Profile of AJMagicman
I realize this Topic is quite old, however I would also like to consider the fact that there is an Old Floating Ball routine, in which I personally like to perform, known as: "Braco's Floating Ball"

One of my truly personal favorites, and best commented on my performances.

It was quite a while back, when I searcehd for Don's Floating Ball, and realized it was out of the market.

Finally I discovered Braco's Floating Ball, and am having a blast with this gem.

It is a "real" floating ball, that actually looks alive and active.
Highly rated than the Zombies out there, for now there are kids performing our classic zombie.

Is there another current peformer of this effect, that would like to add on a comment?

Thanks again, I truly hope you try this effect.

All the Best,
AJ Magic Man
================

Click here to view attached image.
"Ahhh the five of clubs...the card John

Wilkes Booth was holding when shot in the leg by an Albanian Dwarf."

Be sure to check out my facebook page at:

http://www.facebook.com/ajmagicman

You'll love the new stuff!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
AJ,

Bracos Floating Ball has been discussed here many times before ( most have called it junk ) and I don't think anyone has ever been able to get it to actually work to the point of performing it. If you have......we'd love to see some photos of the actual ball or of you performing it. Video would be outstanding. You only attached the drawn image normally used to market it which seems a little suspicious and makes us doubt you actually can/do perform it. Can you put such doubts to rest and be the first to post photos or video????? If you do you will instantly impress a lot of us here as we have NEVER see it happen.

All of us floating ball fans anxiously await your photos!

Best,

Tim
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I am, like my friend Tim there, also very anxious to see pictures and especially a video of your performance if you could upload one to youtube. Practically no one has been able to perform Bracos Ball so this is REALLY interesting. It woud be great to hear your comments on how to actually make it work.
Sent from my Typewriter
AJMagicman
View Profile
New user
Naples, FL
9 Posts

Profile of AJMagicman
Already, sounds fair guys.
Hope I'm not revealing too much, but in the pictures I'll attach, the "ballon floating ball" will be spary painted gold, with the black box.
The effect is simple: It floats up, by releasing the (you know what), and then it comes down. It is simple, and okay. However I like to adding it to a final kicker, or even a 20 second opener.

No biggy, really nothing to it.

It isn't something you can do all the time, or randomly perform. But there are ways to iron it out, then add it to you other "levitation" routines.

Tim, the video was never a thought, however I can take a few shots of it even at home, so to introduce my performing style.

Let me know if you guys still want to see em, or if any ceratain ways you'd like to perform the effect. Even better, you can always contact me trhough a freidnly PM.

Thanks Again folks,
AJ Magic Man
===============
PS: Pics to be taken and uploaded asap.
================
"Ahhh the five of clubs...the card John

Wilkes Booth was holding when shot in the leg by an Albanian Dwarf."

Be sure to check out my facebook page at:

http://www.facebook.com/ajmagicman

You'll love the new stuff!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Don Wayne's floating ball (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL