The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Don Wayne's floating ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-03-07 23:03, AJMagicman wrote:

Let me know if you guys still want to see em, or if any ceratain ways you'd like to perform the effect. Even better, you can always contact me trhough a freidnly PM.

Thanks Again folks,
AJ Magic Man
===============
PS: Pics to be taken and uploaded asap.
================

Thanks AJ,

Looking forward to it.

Best,

Tim
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
AJ,

Any ETA or that video or pics?

Best,

Tim
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
AJ,

It's been 3 weeks. I'm starting to think that your BRACO's floating ball success belongs in that " it never really happened" category that we mentioned earlier in this thread.

We'd love to see those photos and see someone actually performing this effect.

Best,

Tim
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Yawn!!!!!!!!!! someone wake me up when this video is done.
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
m3r1in
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of m3r1in
Hey guys, lots of great feedback here and lots of information and just to add more fuel to that fire, I do too think this is a wonderful effect. I saw this effect in a video, of Blackstone Jnr performing it, and also there was another video which I saw of a little girl who was performing it to (however she used a silver ball), either way I was stunned at how it was done and couldn't work out the mechanics.

However, with a bit of research, I came across a little book called "Miracle Floating Light Effects". Now I am not sure which method was used by Mr Blacksone or Okito, however the methods which are shown in that book are really interesting. I have yet to try them out ( for I only just got the book on friday last week and have been too busy to really get into it. In the book, it does show methods on how to float it away from you and back to you, around you, so you step over it, and also the infamous hoop method (which I think adds a lot to the effect). It also shows you hookups so you can later walk out from the stage and float it close to where the audience is, however it doesn't show how it is made to float over the audiences head ( but you will get the idea on how to do it when you read the book, or from just experience with flaoting effects). It is also doesn't need assistants,which I think is a bonus!

However, I really enjoyed the way a lightbulb was used, but the silver ball does add more to the effect, however the lightbulb does allow you to float it close to the spectators.

I am curious about where I can get a good lightbulb which is suitable for the effect, because I have, at times and I am sure many of you have too, felt that I haven't received a quality product once I have purchased it. So if any of you could shed some light, ( pun intended) on where I could find a lightbulb for this effect please let me know.

Thank you so much once again for the insight to this wonderful effect.

On a side note, there is an auction for one of the original lights bulbs that harry blackstone owned. Here is the link : http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/159185
CCPCris
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
280 Posts

Profile of CCPCris
Not sure if someone mentioned this or not, but the DW floating ball (for those interested) can be bought directly from Don Wayne. I was going to buy one a while back. They are still affordable priced, and Don Wayne is a wonderfull man to work with.
making the unreal, real...really!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6772 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Since you asked for a video, here is one for ya. Not sure if it's Don Wayne's hookup, but I bet his ball never did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmORbVSR6U

The strange and unearthly magic of Galina. She is the MOST heartbreakingly beautiful female magician I have EVER seen!

Doug
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3490 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Yeah! Okay!
I've FINALLY assembled the correct props to work on my
Portable, Non-Stage "Okito Floating Ball" routine!!!

--I've had constructed the correct (non-tinsel) portable backdrop.
--I've got the perfect size and weight Sphere.
--The best choice of music I've ever encountered.
--And I've found an angle free flawless hook-up.

And most of all, I can implement the ultimate secret to
Okito's success with his presentation,
which since I discovered it, have not shared with a living soul.

Now, once I've hired qualified people to help me stage this,
I should be able to perform this Levitation in almost any circumstances,
and with subtleties that I've never seen before, live or video.

Now I've got everything together, I've got too work by rear off,
to master and perfect this classic of Magic.

I have to add that all my years working with the Zombie Ball,
have helped greatly to master this method.

I'll certainly post a video when it's all performance ready.

Don't give up on this spectacular Illusion guys,
just keep buying all you can find on the topic and you'll get there.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Are you using an Okito Ball, or a Don Wayne ball?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3490 Posts

Neither, a ball I found and adapted,
lighter and not as huge as the Wayne
(Okito's was smaller too).
Walt
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1135 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Hey I'm still waiting for AJ to upload those pictures of the CRAP-PO floating ball.

Is this the elusive Don Wayne device everyone is dreaming of?

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Don-Wayne-Flo......ayne.htm

JerryB
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3490 Posts

I don't think it's very elusive at all,
it's available from Don Wayne directly, or obviously Abbotts.

It's not the ball that makes the effect practical, it's what you can do with it and the hook-ups, Wayne's hook-ups are not very practical except in a stage setting with great lighting options, the main one also requires two people.

So is not the device itself, it's practical methods which can be implemented in a variety of settings, are one person, and have the correct routine and presentation to make the floating seem viable.

Buying the ball provides none of those things, and these are the issues I think I've now overcome.

Magically,
Walt
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1135 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Totally agree with you Walt, I believe what you say is true for everything in magic. It appears to me most magicians are to wrap up with gizmo's and gadgets and totally disregard performance, but that should be another thread.

I was only providing the link due to prior post stating "Don Wayne no longer makes the floating ball"; "You can't get the DW floating ball", "I'll gladly buy a used DW floating" and so on.

And then I came across this on the Abbott site, so I thought I would share.

JerryB
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
206 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
Very interesting thread. I recently analyzed the effects in my repertoire, and noticed that I don't have any levitation effects at all. I tend to specialize in parlor/club magic, so if I wanted to add 1 levitation (not a major illusion), would you all recommend a zombie-like effect?
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
John:

For parlor, I would recommend an IT effect such as the floating rose. The Alpha reel is an excellent device for exploring different levitation options.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
flight10
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of flight10
I have preformed the Don Wayne floating ball with one backstage hand. Rigging, background and lighting must work together or you will show how its done and run the risk of the hook up breaking.
It can be done as a solo effect using you as anchor and something else as an anchor. As the ball is so light, I have used a microphone stand in the past. 30 odd years ago my father used a floating ball that floated out of a box, around the stage, through a hoop and back in the box. I used the same routine with great results. However, you should not attempt to do this if you cannot get your hook up, background and lighting working together.
TheMagicOfDean
View Profile
Regular user
What!? I Only Have
105 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfDean
The Don Wayne's Floating ball can be found at Hank Lee's Shop
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php......0&page=1
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1400 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I can't believe that you all haven't figured out.. that just because a magic shop has something in their catalog.. doesn't mean in any way, shape, or form does it mean that it's in stock.. or even available anymore.

However.. I've heard that don found a whole box of floating balls (not yet assembled) in his closet...
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Makeupguy,

Sweet that is exciting that he found more! All the floating ball purchases I have done have always been direct thru Don. Very easy to deal with and quick to ship out. You can either communicate with him via email or phone and he will take care of you.

Best,
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
malamoney
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of malamoney
I actually have one of these. Bought it about 20 years ago. It was totally a "I have no idea when I will perform this, but I really hope I do so one day because it is an awesome effect and I want it" purchase.

While I have never performed it, I still have hope that I will.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Don Wayne's floating ball (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL