The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A 7 minute show (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Yup, someone asked me today to do a couple tricks for a group of kids. What age? 1st grade to 6th grade. Here's what I was thinking on:

A short cups and balls routine
a sponge ball routine with animal sponges

I only got 7 minutes, and I've only got 3 days to work on my routine. (That's probably a lot of time, but considering this is my first show, ya know.)

I don't have much to work with. I don't have a real cups and balls set, so I will probably be using paper or styrofoam cups. I do have some little colored balls though, all different colors, perhaps I could integrate some color changing stuff into it. If you got ideas for this I welcome them.
The Presitidigitationist
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
How many are going to be there?

Do you have D'Lites? I just got some and heard they play really well for small kids and kids my age (7th grade). They require little practice, too.

Sponge balls play good but I wouldn't do cups and balls (but that's just me).
-Jamie
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Nah, my friend (the other "magi" at my church) has d'lites, and pretty much EVERYONE there knows what they are.

I say probably around 60-100 will be there. I wish I could do more, I want to get more than a couple people involved with it. But they said 7 minutes lol.

I know plenty of card stuff, but cards don't go well with that age range, unless it's based on a kids story or something similar. The Jack Robbers might be a good trick, but I don't want to do it.
The Presitidigitationist
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
60-100 for your first show!! People will not be able to see sponge balls or cups and balls. Plus kids (I think) are typically not interested in 3 cups (or 2 or 1 for that matter) and 3 balls.

The Silk Road would work nicely. 7 min. is not that long, see if you can get 10 min. and do maybe 2 routines and maybe a quick silk production or vanishing/appearing cane type effect (you know some thing quick) to get their attention. If you can make a mess Snow Storm in China would be great. If conditions are good you could do a dancing cane routine (remember less than a minuet is good). An escape would also be a nice idea. Smile

Don't forget to have a plan for what you do if some thing goes wrong. Smile Not just dropping something but if the music doesn’t play ect. And remember:

Make the difficult look easy, and the easy look beautiful.

And:

It's not what you do; it’s how you do it.

Tell us how the show goes.
Good luck! Smile
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Actually, the way the seats are arranged, it will be really easy for everyone to see. they may even be sitting on the floor, so I will be slightly higher. I have no idea how to do most of the stuff you named, as I am fairly new to magic.

Actually I chose the two routines I did, because it is what most people associate with magic, and I know how to do them. I just have to present it well, because there will be maybe 10-15 adults watching as well, and I would love to make an impression on them, so perhaps I can get invited back later.

I was also thinking of doing some rope tricks instead of one of the other routines. Maybe equal/unequal or cut and restored.
The Presitidigitationist
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"I've only got 3 days to work on my routine. (That's probably a lot of time, but considering this is my first show, ya know.)"

Unless you're already well reheased with the tricks mentioned, I would say that it's not enough time.

Since you say you don't have much to work with, and I don't know what non-card tricks you know, it makes suggestions a bit difficult on such short notice.

I would suggest elastic and money tricks which costs next to nothing.
If you have Bobo's MCM ...well there's lots of stuff there.

Finger ring and string?
Cut and restored string/ribbon/rope/paper??

Good luck,
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Now don’t get mad at me but with only 3 days and you being new to magic...you might want to consider canceling. I mean 3 days to practice, rehears and perfect is going to be hard.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
This isn't any super professional thing here. it's not paid or anything, I was asked by a friend to come and do a couple tricks for his kids. Yeah I won't perform anything unless I can do it well. I may not get to do it anyway. By then hopefully I will have a job and I will be working. If I could go out and get more stuff to work with, I would. But my bank account balance right now is $2.04.
The Presitidigitationist
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Since we've talked before I know your financial situation.
That's why I suggested props like elastics, coins, finger rings and string.
I've entertained kids in the same age group with a pen, a couple of coins, some bills and a washer. Oh! Also a TT and elastics. Cost?

You're not alone when it comes to not being able to buy stuff but many a magician started with common items and homemade props.

Paper Balls over the head is another trick.

Not a professional gig? That's fine but I'm sure you still want to do your best with what you have.

Cards should be no problem for the older kids.
Card Warp, rising cards and color changes should work for all.

Hey man, I wish you the best. Most of all enjoy and have fun.
l2andall
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
44 Posts

Profile of l2andall
Have you ever heard of The Hummingbird Card or Hummercard? It's a levitation effect that takes some practice, but it could be 'mastered' enough in three days to perform for seven minutes or so. I was asked to perform this effect at a blood drive, and everyone loved it. People can be close, far, sitting, standing... you get my point. There are many different things you can actually do with the effect, so even if you can't get it for this show, I would definately consider getting it for your next show! I use this as a stand alone act when I'm asked to perform for short periods of time. It's an awesome effect!
Think inside the box while everyone else is busy thinking outside of it.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Isn't Hummingbird Card the name penguin gave to Bob Hummer's flying card (hummer card)?
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Problem is, I don't have a hummer card. My friend does, but I didn't really find it all that fascinating.

I think I am going to do some of these:
Cut someone in half with a rope
Cut and restored rope
Cups and balls
Sliding knot (tie two ropes together, and you can move the knot)

Since I don't have any sponge balls I won't be doing those Smile
The Presitidigitationist
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
By the way Justin.
I just got back from Walmart and picked up a set of 4 aluminum, 2 1/2oz., sauce cups for less than a dollar, 94 cents. They could be for a mini-C&B routine.

I've also been reading the Howie Diddits topic in the Secret Sessions area.
Lot's of great information on making and buying inexpensive props. if you haven't already, I think might want to look at this.

Your routine sounds good.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2005-05-29 20:31, Justin2200 wrote:
I think I am going to do some of these:
Cut someone in half with a rope
Cut and restored rope
Cups and balls
Sliding knot (tie two ropes together, and you can move the knot)

That is too long. Chose 2 routines because with good patter and presentation 2 should be about how much time you have if not more.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
I didn't say all, I said some lol. I'm going to work more on the whole thing tomorrow. I feel like gaming right now.
The Presitidigitationist
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Oh and don't forget: Always leave 'em wanting more.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
dutchmagicboi
View Profile
New user
Holland
4 Posts

Profile of dutchmagicboi
Sorry that I do ask a dumb question but I don't know what 'em means. can you tell that to i?
I'm here to learn some magic Smile
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
'em is short for them.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
OK! So, my "show" was earlier today, and it was chaotic, but not my fault that it went bad.

I did these, in this order:

Sliding knot (duno the name for it)
Spiked quarter
ball and vase
cups and balls

A lot of the kids started shouting that they knew how I was doing ball and vase..I just put that "yeah right" look on my face.

But what's even worse, is the guy who asked me to do the show interrupted me in the middle of my cups and balls routine, thinking I was done. Oh well. It was ok though, as a first experience. Wish I had had bigger props though.
The Presitidigitationist
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Well almost every magic set has a ball and vase so that reaction is not surprising. The rope stuff you had initially thought about doing would have been far more visible.But with only a few days to go you put off working on it because you felt like gaming? Doesn't sound like committment to me...

You could have used your Black Tiger cards for a Cards Across routine, that can play big and is easily followed by all ages.

It's possible you were really interupted because it was not thought to be going well.

Re;
"Wish I had had bigger props though".

Bigger props is not the answer if you only work on something a few days before a show. In fact, you just need more thought about what you will do next time, and to practice some solid routines so you are prepared. Try working on a thirty minute show. Aldo Colombini has a cups and balls routine with different colored balls.

Have you got The Mark Wilson Course in Magic or a volume of Tarbell? You could probably pick up a copy of either for the price of a couple of Black Tiger decks. Both are more likely to help you get a decent act together than
http://www.falsecuts.com
The Card Trick Exchange Center

If you are serious about magic forget about sites like that and get some real knowledge behind you. If gaming is more important than magic, then forget the magic.

It's always possible to politely decline when asked to perform a show if you don't feel you are ready to do so. Other opportunities will always present themselves later.

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A 7 minute show (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL