The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A 7 minute show (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
I put off working on it that day because it was like 2 AM, and I just felt like playin a game for a few minutes before bed Smile

I could do my routines in my sleep.

The problem with the way the stage was setup and everything is that the kids couldn't see the balls for cups and balls without standing up, and some still couldn't. And the guy seriously thought I was done...I was like, wierd..

No I do not have Tarbell, or Mark Wilsons. Like I said previously, I plan on buying more material soon, but moneys tight right now, and I don't have a job. In fact, I'm leaving, right now, to go find one. Just popped in to check replies.

Thanks for your criticism though, I don't take it lightly.
The Presitidigitationist
Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown
View Profile
New user
Niagara, Ontario
68 Posts

Profile of Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown
If you have David Ginn's kid biz you can do his sun and moon and easily use up 7 minutes.
One Mustn't study a magician to closely,
Never look up his sleeve,
Never look under his hat,
Just sit back and let him do his act.
l2andall
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
44 Posts

Profile of l2andall
Quote:
On 2005-06-02 03:20, Justin2200 wrote:
OK! So, my "show" was earlier today, and it was chaotic, but not my fault that it went bad.


I went out and did a show unprepared just like you did, and I had this same mentality afterwards. But then, I thought about it, and I realized how wrong it was. A show going bad cannot be "not my fault" because, in reality, everything is in your hands.

You say they couldn't see-why did you pick tricks that wouldn't play well for large groups, especially when you knew how big it would be beforehand?

You got stopped in your cups and balls routine- obiously, there was a reason you were stopped. If something is going really well, and being performed so that everyone is enjoying it, no one would just stop it. So, therefore, something was wrong with your performance.

Know, since I was in your position, I know you want to say "It wasn't my fault" and "I couldn't do anything about it", but if you want to perform, you can't do that! Honestly, if every show, you assume you did your part, and it was the other guy who didn't pull his weight, you will never, ever get anywhere.

It really is all in your hands, you can never say that it wasn't your fault if something went wrong. You should have planned better for the type of show you had, or you shouldn't have accepted to perform with that little time to prepare. The very last thing you should have done was come here and say" "In 3 days I need to do a show, HELP!" because that shows everyone that you aren't prepared for it.

Now, I think you can either get really mad about this post and say, no it really was their fault, or you can change the way you are thinking about the situation. It took me about 3 months to finally realize that everything should be under my control, and I hope you can do this too, only a lot faster!
Think inside the box while everyone else is busy thinking outside of it.
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
I know, it was a bit short notice, but I didn't want to just turn down, especially since they went to one of my magician friends first, and he turned them down.

It was partially my fault. I didn't prepare long enough. I wish I coulda taken my stuff in before the day to see how well it would perform in the room I was using. I was too high, and there was no room on the floor. And should have gone over the routine with the guy who asked me to do it, so he wouldn't have thought I was done before I was.
The Presitidigitationist
Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown
View Profile
New user
Niagara, Ontario
68 Posts

Profile of Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown
If you are going to entertain kids you have to have kids magic. You have to have it colorful and big. Study the books recomended and if you can't buy some of the effects it's easy to make your own. It doesn't have to be elaborate it just has to be entertaining.
Kids want to have fun and to do that you have to put yourself in their shoes and come down to their level. Don't expect them to come up to yours because it will never work. Be a kid yourself and you will see the difference.
Magic sleights are great but in their place. Kids want to be entertained like kids not like adults.
Just my opinion.

:magicrabbit:
One Mustn't study a magician to closely,
Never look up his sleeve,
Never look under his hat,
Just sit back and let him do his act.
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
So any advice on kid tricks then, I have to perform for a group of 12 autistic kids in a couple of months. Age around 12 years.

I agree on the colorfull thing, but I don't know any colorfull tricks. sugestions are welcome.

BTW the kids do know card games, so I will be able to do cards aswell, but I prefer real kid tricks
Sign up for free at www.falsecuts.com
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
Sign up for free, no strings attached
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Coloring Book, Blooming Flower, TT & Silk, Stiff Rope.
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
TT and stiff robe I master, those will get me on the road, thanks for the advice
Sign up for free at www.falsecuts.com
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
Sign up for free, no strings attached
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2005-06-02 18:04, Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown wrote:
If you are going to entertain kids you have to have kids magic. You have to have it colorful and big. Study the books recomended and if you can't buy some of the effects it's easy to make your own. It doesn't have to be elaborate it just has to be entertaining.
Kids want to have fun and to do that you have to put yourself in their shoes and come down to their level. Don't expect them to come up to yours because it will never work. Be a kid yourself and you will see the difference.
Magic sleights are great but in their place. Kids want to be entertained like kids not like adults.
Just my opinion.

:magicrabbit:


Depends on the age of the kids. Your advice might be fine for kids 4 to 8 but older than that you can do standard magic stuff. Heck, I've had a 9 year old girl show me the 21 card trick (and do it pretty good). I was doing plenty of Annemann card effects myself at age 10!

Regarding: "you have to put yourself in their shoes and come down to their level."

This is simply one approach, not a hard and fast rule. Do this for older kids and many will think you are a jerk. Of course, as a clown you probably have more leeway.

Somehow I can't see Justin dressed as a clown with his Black Tiger deck Smile

Justin, just because a friend turned them down didn't mean you had to accept. No show is better than an unprepared show. They would have figured something else to entertain them. I mean, 7 minutes? that's no big deal.

However, you can treat is as a learning experience. Next time, when you are hopefully prepared with an act, you might ask questions initially about numbers of people expected in the audience, average age group, whether performing area is raised or not. Prior to performing you might explain to whoever introduces you exactly how you end the act so he knows when you have finished etc. etc. Learn, move forward.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2005-06-03 08:51, Paul wrote:
Depends on the age of the kids. Your advice might be fine for kids 4 to 8 but older than that you can do standard magic stuff. Heck, I've had a 9 year old girl show me the 21 card trick (and do it pretty good). I was doing plenty of Annemann card effects myself at age 10!


I understand what you're saying but I must respectivly disagree:
I have found that what you can do is very diffrent than what you like to see performed. I meaan I like doing my ACR but I've gotten sick of the typical ACR (although I've been trying to make it moreinteresting to others who are sick of crds comming to the top of the deck).

Just my 99,999,999 cents.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
bigdw1
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of bigdw1
Rubberband magic always plays well with elementary school kids. Up to about 30 kids. You can even repeat most effects for them and bring them up to help sometimes.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2005-06-03 22:47, bigdw1 wrote:
You can even repeat most effects for them and bring them up to help sometimes.


NEVER repeat a trick!!! Maybe if you use a diffrent method but they still would know what was going to happen.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
bigdw1
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of bigdw1
"NEVER repeat a trick" they're from 5 to 12 years old and I've seen Magicians repeat rubberband tricks several times before. Crazy Man's Handcuffs when I've seen it done is shown in Magicians hands first, then using a spectators hand. Reactions were awesome. Now I would agree that you shouldn't make a habit of doing this without changing methods, but with kids you almost have to show an effect multiple times so they can understand what has happened.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2005-06-04 01:46, bigdw1 wrote:
"NEVER repeat a trick" they're from 5 to 12 years old and I've seen Magicians repeat rubberband tricks several times before.


Yes and that is wrong too. As for CMH I think magicians do make the mistake of repeating too many times but CMH I think is still an exception but only if you change angles. When I saw Ammar do this live he did repeat it but turning around to show back and side angles.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The key to repeating a trick is to vary the method. The general rule is: "never repeat the same trick for the same audience, using the same method". In CMH, there are a variety of different spins or methods you can put on the trick to make it fresh each time.

The same is true for tricks such as ambitious card. You're repeating the same effect time and time again - but you are using slightly different methods in each case.

As for the original post, I am trying my best to stay polite. Sometimes, it is more professional to turn down a show than to accept one and do a lousy job. That holds true regardless of whether or not you are being paid for the gig. Slapping together a show with little to no material or experience is not something I would encourage.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Well he asked me to do it again, which I guess means he didn't think it was too bad. But I told him that we would have to get together and work something out because nobody could see last time, and the other problems I had need to be worked out too. I told him to give me more time. I need to learn and practice new stuff. I went to my local magic shop the other day to get something, and they aren't even open except wed-sat. So I didn't get to go in lol.

But ya'll, thanks for your advice. It will help me a lot between now and the next performance.
The Presitidigitationist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A 7 minute show (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL