The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown-The Gathering (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Is there a discussion on this show anywhere on here? I assumed there would have to be,but I cannot find one.Maybe this post can start it off???
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I hope not! Smile
<Braces himself for the eventual deluge>
magickdabid--uk
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magickdabid--uk
For a "live" show, there was a lot fo pre-show work!

Dave
dan bivaldi
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of dan bivaldi
I would love to discuss the show but I only caught the last five minutes.forgive me but this last effect derren performed looked like a david Copperfield effect.i saw a bulldog clip above where he was writing on a board but don't know what happend as I said I only caught the last five minutes.this is what made me think of the Copperfield effect.maybe some editing had gone on.
anyway I'm just going to have to wait for the repeat on e4 this saturday.
sorry I cant say anymore.
by the way ive just bought the lapdancer touch effect as I couldn't contain my curiosity any longer and wished I hadnt bothered!!
as with a lot of these type effects they are really things you would find in an old boys comic years ago.its just that nobody does them anymore so people like derren brown make them into unexplainable mental effects.
all that's needed is the boldness to do them plus some clever editing plus a handfull of students who would like to be on tv.
Bruno
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Bruno
High Tech, High Camp, High Risk, High showmanship, High ratings,
High thoroughly enjoyed it !!!!!

All the classics were there and presented with his usual charisma and flair. Some celebs looked genuinely disturbed and some of the muggles clearly left with the feeling that there maybe deeper levels to the human capacity for communication and connection than we realise. If this means we look for the subtleties in our dealings with each other rather than communicating like impotent, barking, grunting, screeching, mumbling sacks of skin full of offal and bones, then I'm all for more of the same.

Mystery raises curiosity, curiosity raises awareness, raised awareness leads to knowledge and understanding. Understanding leads to the force.....Derren is a Jedi Master
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Only thing that got me were the A to Z map booktest and the cabbie effect at the end(who looked nonplussed throughout)but as magick-dabid-uk said plenty preshow.He just cant do it live can he? Not without appearing no better than us all,at least Smile
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Quote:
On 2005-05-30 06:08, Harry H wrote:
He just cant do it live can he? Not without appearing no better than us all,at least Smile

Hmmm, I take it you haven't seen his recent tour. An incredible show with superb effects, and no pre-show. Got plenty of gasps when I was there.

Besides, what's wrong with using pre-show if it gets the desired outcome?
PhatDad
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of PhatDad
I really enjoyed it. More so than his regular series shows as I prefer his stage persona and sense of humour than the all too serious thing he does for TV usually.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Quote:
On 2005-05-30 06:08, Harry H wrote:
He just can't do it live can he? Not without appearing no better than us all, at least Smile

Bah!
Hello.
magickdabid--uk
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Nothing wrong with pre-show at all, I use some myself ( in the manner suggested by Mr Osterlind) but with some of the effects he performed, do the public compare what we do to what he does?

I mean with an embedded hypnotic command to forget.....he really does look (?) like a Jedi Master.

Dave
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
690 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
"Plenty of pre-show”???

Not as I could see. Just in the last demonstration; certainly, but as with the other tests, none of them were beyond the skill of a knowledgeable performer.

Franklin
magickdabid--uk
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Of course you couldn't see it!, that's why they call "pre-show"........

"Knowledgeable performer"?........in post hypnotic suggestion?

Dave
RJ_Silmser
View Profile
Regular user
Quebec
160 Posts

Profile of RJ_Silmser
This is funny...it's like you guys are talking about what happened yesterday on the soaps. Carry on, pretend I'm not here.

~Rick~
"A man is only as young as the woman he feels"

-Groucho Marx-
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
I have seen his tour. It was very good. As was last night. Pre-show doesn't sit well with me is all.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I usually just lurk on posts like these but I am going to break a rule and post something.
I can only thank Derren and the Objective team.

Why?

Long before the Mind Control series, David Blaine and such programs I was performing mentalism and nobody had even heard of it. (obviously I am talking laymen here)

It's something people actually WANT to see before you show them something now.....

It's the "new black" if you will.

As far as did he or didn't he do pre - show, who cares?

It's a tool........ Its a tool I use without even revealing anything on occasions and it has many more uses than enhancing an "effect"

Is anyone seriously telling me that if they could enhance their reputation, increase bookings and move the art forward then YOU would say, "Hmmm, I dunno, there might be a few people on the magic Café who might not like it!"
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
Alas, when the explanations aren't glaringly obvious to the average Joe-magician, it just *has* to be all pre-show work and stooges.

And clever typewriting monkeys.
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Most of that was his first live show.

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Daffyd
View Profile
New user
Llandewi Breffi
87 Posts

Profile of Daffyd
I really enjoyed the show. As for the pre-show, who cares? The audience don't so why should we? Well done Derren!
"The layman is such an idiot." salsa_dancer
dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
Surely it can't be a lot of pre show coz a lot of it was his first live act
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
The guy who was asked to think of two digit number..when Derren took his hand and brought it up sharply to his face and then pulled his head down and told him to relax.....wasn't that a form of Mr Erickson's Handshake Ixxxxxxxn?

Howard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown-The Gathering (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL