The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown-The Gathering (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
Quote:
On 2005-06-02 13:48, mwilliams wrote:
Scarbo.... bingo.
I've heard it said by a couple of people who attended, that all is not precisely as it may appear. The peek was apparently incredibly brazen - enough so that probably wouldn't have withstood scrutiny by a lay tv audience, let alone magicians.
Seek and ye shall find.

I concur with this. He used a published full billet peek and pretty slovenly too, I might add. Hope that makes some of you feel better.
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Neil
The guy is an A1 brillian magician and mentalist. What better subject for magicians to talk about?
The Gentleman
View Profile
Regular user
SCOTCHLAND
102 Posts

Profile of The Gentleman
Do what I do, sing the "Aids" song from Team America when you can't think of anything nice to say.
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Quote:
On 2005-06-03 15:45, The Gentleman wrote:
Do what I do, sing the "Aids" song from Team America when you can't think of anything nice to say.

LOL!!!!!! Love that film.
gordonastley
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of gordonastley
Is it just me but on this open forum many of you seem to be giving away(albeit incorrect) methods. The very nature of this discussion comes under exposure. I think that is why many folk are unhappy the Café is open. Would it not be better if it was a protected site.
I have not seen the Gathering yet (I am in USA at the moment), but what's the fuss over Africa? Normal folk often call America and the UK "countries". It's a natural presumption.
Plus, and trust me on this one, DB did not use any PS on his current tour. Get over it.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Quote:
On 2005-06-03 10:40, DangerMouse wrote:
I can't believe you guys call yourselves mentalists and can't figure out simple effects like those used in the gathering.

Absolutely.
Because being a mentalist is all about being able to spot methods. If you can't spot the methods of your fellow performers, you might as well pack up your clipboards and burn all your billets.

On another related note, I know that it's the nature of magicians to discuss methods, but I can't help but think that to focus on the 'how' of Derren's performances is sort of missing the point.
Hello.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Stephen, that was VERY well put. It's the nature of MAGICIANS to want to discuss his methods.

I think it helps distinguish between magicians here who want to add a few of Derren's 'tricks' into their show, and the mentalists who can appreciate his incredible presentation skills, but still have the mental capacity beyond a...goldfish? and so can come up with their own effects, or even twists on classics (what Derren has done in the first place!)

I can think of no other mentalist I have seen live (well maybe Drew Mcadam!) that can do our art as well as he! Baring in mind I haven't had the pleasure of seeing everyone yet.

Best Wishes,
Colin Mcleod
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
The Gentleman
View Profile
Regular user
SCOTCHLAND
102 Posts

Profile of The Gentleman
To all who wanted a copy on DVD - They've all been quite thoroughly sent out (Monday 30th) (except for 2, but you guys know who you are) -- I don't know how long first-class post from Britain will take to reach your various locations, but if a fortnight passes I will simply send out more.

Thankyou
dan bivaldi
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of dan bivaldi
Just seen the show not as I exlected. OK for laymen,also gives a new meaning to its up his sleeve,do you know what I mean ?take a look at the effect where he's stating the grid references of the streets.enough said.
An excellent showman I must say.
Take a look at his devils picture book for some good card stuff.
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
At last a few posts on this thread from people who know what there talking about.may I recommend marc salem tricycle theatre london from 31 aug till 17 sept.now this bloke is amazing
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
I loved the "accidental" explosion near the end. Perfect cover for "you know what"...
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Did anyone read the not so subliminal subliminals?
paullong
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of paullong
I love his use of subliminal messages. His latest show is a great example of some wonderful effect which can allegedly be got from subliminals.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Well then, what did they say?
paullong
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of paullong
Corona, (congrats on the 50 posts!). Best not to say here - it would ruin what I thought was the best part of the show for those who haven't seen it. The theatricality is inspired!
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
I have got to agree that the point of Derrens performance is lost on the majority of us, this is a very sad thing but hey! I suppose that's just life. I think he can be compared to Blaine in this way (at least when Blaine first started out).
One day I will write a book
delbmarcs
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of delbmarcs
Quote:
On 2005-06-03 11:10, Stephen Long wrote
On another related note, I know that it's the nature of magicians to discuss methods, but I can't help but think that to focus on the 'how' of Derren's performances is sort of missing the point.
Quote:
On 2005-06-07 11:10, Jordan Waller wrote:
I have got to agree that the point of Derrens performance is lost on the majority of us, this is a very sad thing but hey!

Alright then, so "Why" did he have his audience forget the show they'd just seen? You think maybe there's a longer game involved?

A hint at what's next...or what isn't? Or both...
Surely Derren doesn't perform just for the sport of it.
The thing about doing the impossible is that you've got no competition.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
If you are referring to my post, I didn't suggest that the subliminals (actually not sublininal at all) had anything to do with the effects presented, I was just curious as to what they said, thanks for answering that.

Personally I know the difference between salad and dressing,

Corona.
Daffyd
View Profile
New user
Llandewi Breffi
87 Posts

Profile of Daffyd
Quote:
On 2005-06-10 07:05, dan bivaldi wrote:
You lot have been suckered........... plus that secret thing up his sleeve of course.
testing testing.

Secret thing up his sleeve? You've mentioned this on several occasions. I can't for the life of me think where Derren would have needed a "secret thing" up his sleeve for any of the effects. Looks like you've been suckered, LOL!
"The layman is such an idiot." salsa_dancer
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Dan Bivaldi... guess you are on the right track
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown-The Gathering (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL