The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown-The Gathering (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
That "unexpected" pyro going off was curious.Was it planned.I don't know why Im suspicious of it,just am....
Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
416 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
Quote:
That "unexpected" pyro going off was curious. Was it planned? I don't know why I'm suspicious of it, just am....

You don't think he was trying to start from the houses of parliament then?

Parliament - pyro
big bang - Gunpowder plot
Imagine you have a rich "GUY" in the back of your cab...

There are probably a few other related things as well. Just some thoughts. Smile
PaulEverson
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of PaulEverson
God, I hate myself for adding to this post, I really do.

Another Derren thread which will no doubt be contributed to by all the magically naive, professionally jealous, scaryily obsessed, or down right irritating men and women the internet has to offer (and the irony of posting myself is not lost on me I promise...)

Malini - thank god there's someone on here that realises what a lot of Derren posts boil down to on here..

Arghh - going for a lie down now...
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
We cant discuss a successful British performer then Paul? Fair enough. Oooh dear, must remember this if you ever make it big. Smile
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
Another Derren thread which will no doubt be contributed to by all the magically naive, professionally jealous, scaryily obsessed, or down right irritating men and women the internet has to offer (and the irony of posting myself is not lost on me I promise... )

Malini - thank god there's someone on here that realises what a lot of Derren posts boil down to on here..

Yeah, thanks for that! YOu didn't have to include me in with that lot! Still, I am glad you did not beat around the bush! lol
PaulEverson
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of PaulEverson
Apologies gambituk - you clearly have your head screwed on too
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Lol!
<takes a bow!>
Thanks
mclare
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of mclare
I'm not convinced it was pre-show at the end, or if that quite explains it. He made it clear throughout he hadn't met them before, and got agreement for that, and the guy confirmed he'd made up the route and decided which way to turn as he went along. I think there are other possibilities, especially seeing as I can only imagine he'd be wary of any pre-show arrangements at this point in his career.
justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
Fantastic show.

As for methods, who really cares. The effects are what the audience sees and the effects were phenomenal.

Only one thing that annoyed me far more than it should have - "name a country", "Africa", and yet it still matches the prediction!
PhatDad
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of PhatDad
Thank god someone else is as fussy as me. I was dying to shout at the TV 'Africa isn't a country!!!'
scarbo
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of scarbo
According to her post-show voxpop, the woman who selected that well-known country Africa was a NLP practitioner... *raises eyebrows*
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Yeah, so was I. That did make me a bit suspicious.

Nick
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Why would that make you suspicious... yes apart from her day job, Derren did mention that there was a wide mix of people interested in his work in the audience.
I even saw a few magicians, Ali Cook was behind the women who chose the parrot.

This is irrelevant to me... I have seen some of those effect done live and they are still pulled off with great accuracy.

In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Antelope
View Profile
New user
England
25 Posts

Profile of Antelope
I thought the whole point was that the audience included magicians, NLP practitioners, skeptics, celebrities, 'psychics' etc. Probably to prove he wasn't using stooges to the hardest critics of his work.

Ant
scarbo
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of scarbo
I didn't find her being a NLP practitioner suspicious, just interesting. I suppose I was drawing a line between her thinking Africa was a country and practicing NLP Smile

Seriously though, I do think the choice of Africa betrayed something of the workings of that effect to those who know that Africa isn't a country.
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
742 Posts

Profile of Roki
I thought there were some great effects from a mentalism standpoint but I didn't find it nearly as entertaining as his T.V. shows. It may well be the nature of stage versus close up but he seems to weave a more interesting story and engage people more in the series. This seemed like a step backward to me. Do you guys think he is like most mentalists on stage?
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
I enjoyed it, but I was also fascinated my his presentaion, patter etc.
I don't particularly wish to copy it, but seeing how someone else does things, in terms of *their* presentation, whoever they are, has to be food for thought!?
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
An interesting point Roki.
If I had to choose a word for his presentation, I might say 'rushed'. Having said that, that was maybe his planned presentation, however it mighy also have been the pure rush (excuse pun) of adrenalin.
I'd like to also say that I prefer him when he's funny (he has a great sense of humour I feel) as this adds to the old argument of whether or not humour can/should be used in mentalism.
And finally, I strongly suspect and welcome, that Derren plays, not just to the layperson, but also to the magician/mentalist. I do believe that there's a soupcon of movement here and there which perhaps suggests to the magi that "I might be doing it this way, then again I might not. You decide".
If I'm correct, then perhaps Derren Brown is even a far greater performer than we have given him credit for.

Bobser.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I personaly prefered it to his regular tv show Smile

This was basically his first live show...but doing it on tv.
His live Show is excellent, he builds a good atmosphere and he gets people to believe in what he is doing. I thought it was perfect.

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
I thought the show was great, and think Derren is great. He has made mentalism cool (in the UK anyway) and anyone who does mentalism work probably has a lot to be grateful to him for.

That said...there is the issue of pre-show work.
Now, if you aim is to present a series of puzzles to the audience - puzzles that they could solve - then pre-show work is a big no. It would be like having an Agatha Christie novel where the murderer wasn't introduced until the final chapter.
On the other hand, if your intention is to fill the audience with a sense of awe and wonder - then anything goes.

Nonetheless - I see two problems with pre-show work. The first is typified by the messages here. If you don't understand an effect, you can dismiss it as "Woh, well that was pre-show work". "Where did the lion disappear to?" "oh, that was pre-show work". I think there is a danger of pre-show work becoming the new "it's just a camera trick" of our time. In which case we have a responsibility to maintain this secret. (And I should not be posting this message!)

The other danger comes from a story I've heard of Gary Kurtz, who apparently did some high profile appearances in Paris a while back. After he had gone home, there was a lot of bad publicity around the fact that he had used stooges and pre-show work. Is that any worse than having it revealed that you used a NW? To me, yes. (However, Gary did make a return visit recently, so maybe it didn't do him much harm)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown-The Gathering (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL