The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown-The Gathering (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
My message should have read "Hang the weakness."
mrfluffy
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of mrfluffy
Quote:
On 2005-05-31 11:52, Harry H wrote:
I did.Must have been Osterlinds peek instead? Or maybe not actually...Id have to re watch but I don't remember him touching the paper after she wrote.Briliant.

Sorry to be picky, but Mr Osterlind did not invent the peek - whichever one DB used, I thought the writing looked to be in the middle - merely showed it to most of us on MM1 ( I'm sure he wouldn't mind me pointing this out)
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
Having just read a manuscript on peaks I was annoyed to see that I didn't spot a single one of his, if that's what he was doing!!
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Dear phat dad, if you thought that show was amazing, and by saying that you feel sorry for me, please don't. As I have seen stuff 100 times better than that stuff. To this day I haven't the slightest inkling how it was done, unlike the gathering. If you were blown away by this you may need to take some smelling salts to someone (whos been going a lot longer than Derren) like Marc Salem, the Amazing Kreskin, Banachek, Max Mavern, Richard Osterlind, Larry Becker, Bob Cassidy. Apologise to anyone I've missed out, these are just some of my favourites. Harry h, I bet youd have still ended up with the parrot. I too didn't think Derren took advantage of the coincidence. Bob Cassidy said don't just take advantage of coincidences, create them. Plus the Africa thing could have been made even stronger and hid the method more by saying, "Could you please be more specific? I actually have a country in Africa in mind. Please name one."
Pasq
View Profile
Elite user
Lance Rench-Hausen.
417 Posts

Profile of Pasq
Has anyone pointed out yet that Africa isn't a country?

Posted: Jun 1, 2005 2:09pm
-----------------------------------------
Yes, they have. My mistake.
Sparrow in a barrow.
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
Magic in mind, what is your problem?
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
I was referring to Osterlind's Perfected Centre Tear,and the peek involved,from Mind Mysteries DVD.But I second Mesaboogie.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
How the **** does this method work. I mean he apparently doesn't even take the index card with the name on it (you know, the woman who should think of the surname of an old friend). I don't think it was a peek. I saw Uri Geller do the same thing on German TV. They don't have to touch the paper, but it has to be written down. Drives me nuts!
*argh*

Fabrice D. tell us what you invented! Smile
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Pasq
View Profile
Elite user
Lance Rench-Hausen.
417 Posts

Profile of Pasq
I imagine Derren reading this thread with a serrepticious half smile on his lips.

Either that, or smearing himself with mayonnaise.

Posted: Jun 1, 2005 5:15pm
-----------------------------------------
Did I say "smearing"? I meant "Daubing."
Sparrow in a barrow.
PhatDad
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of PhatDad
Magic In Mind, I was not refering to him being better than anyone or saying his show was amazing. I was trying to get across that so many times magicians forget or choose not to remember that the shows these guys make aren't aimed at other magicians but to the millions of other viewers who don't know the techniques or effects.

His aim was to entertain. It would appear some magicians can't step back and see the bigger picture but instead feel they have to comment on how inefective this techniqe was or that effect was. He entertained the laymen, he succeeded.
Pasq
View Profile
Elite user
Lance Rench-Hausen.
417 Posts

Profile of Pasq
I think Bobser was right - he plays to the magician too.
Sparrow in a barrow.
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Dear mesaboogie, what's yours? Was I talking to you? I'm trying to point out that Mr. Brown is good, not great. He was great at close up. His card creations where amazing. His Out Of This World was just that. An interesting thing is Reminiscence that he claimed he created. Not so, read Bernstein's Perception Is Everything. You'll find Reminiscence for 5 spectators in there. May I remind people this is a forum for magicians created by Steve Brooks.
PaulEverson
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of PaulEverson
Can I refer everyone back to my post on page one of this thread - if ever there was a prediction.....

PS - hate myself even more for this post...
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
742 Posts

Profile of Roki
I wish people could just learn to love themselves . So many seem to be just in it for the sex .
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
About the coincidence - I'm not quite sure how one could really take advantage of it. I mean what would you have said? "I knew it!" or, "I controlled your brain so that this would happen..." No one would buy it because it was the guy (forget his name) who brought it up and not Derren.
Hello.
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
Quote:
On 2005-06-01 19:08, magic in mind wrote:
Dear mesaboogie, what's yours? Was I talking to you? I'm trying to point out that Mr. Brown is good, not great. He was great at close up. His card creations where amazing. His Out Of This World was just that. An interesting thing is Reminiscence that he claimed he created. Not so, read Bernstein's Perception Is Everything. You'll find Reminiscence for 5 spectators in there. May I remind people this is a forum for magicians created by Steve Brooks.

The only thing that Reminiscence has in common with Bernstein's effect is the DR principle.

I agree with Mesaboogie. You have a problem and not just with Derren. Whatever the chip on your shoulder is, get over it.
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
742 Posts

Profile of Roki
Quote:
On 2005-06-01 20:06, Stephen Long wrote:
About the coincidence - I'm not quite sure how one could really take advantage of it. I mean what would you have said?

I would have said "Who can explain these things" and pushed him off the stage.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On 2005-06-01 16:49, I wrote:
How the hell does this method work. I mean he appearantly doesn't even take the index card with the name on it (you know, the woman who should think of the surname of an old friend). I don't think it was a peek. I saw uri geller do the same thing on german tv. They don't have to touch the paper, but it has to be written down. drives me nuts!
*argh*

Fabrice D. tell us what you invented! Smile

Any ideas?
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
tiberius magus
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tiberius magus
Quote:
On 2005-06-01 20:06, Stephen Long wrote:
About the coincidence - I'm not quite sure how one could really take advantage of it. I mean what would you have said? "I knew it!" or, "I controlled your brain so that this would happen..." No one would buy it because it was the guy (forget his name) who brought it up and not Derren.

I imagine the optimal way to take advantage of the situation would have been to pause a little theatrically and say something like, 'Interesting...' That way, people who think it's just a coincidence will just assume you're recognising that an interesting coincidence has occured, while those who are immersed in your powers will be sure that you are responsible. Brown is, after all, a master of statements which will be taken in different ways by different people without ruining the effect.

sincerely,
Tiberius Magus
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Rick, I was thinking the same thing. Unless some pre-show work, and that was to throw people like us off. (Before you say it, I'm not straightway asssuming preshow/stooge because its something I don't know!)If it was a realtime peek - wow!
Coincidences like that are great, but as you say, it was not the effect that he wanted - shouldn't overplay it.
Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown-The Gathering (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL