The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Switcher and Switch-A-Roo (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danno
View Profile
New user
Boston
94 Posts

Profile of Danno
Is there any real difference between these two products? Do they both use the same principle? Is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Moffmo
View Profile
Regular user
Castleford
143 Posts

Profile of Moffmo
I think the switcher is a terrible gimmick, I absolutely hate it. I don't have switch-a-roo, but I hear it is good. I have a dislike for gimmicks and I have not brought any in ages. I will sell you switcher for something worth $20 :@)

Matt
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
I watched the demo for the switcher and it seems pretty good... I heard the idea is very smart, although I do not know how it is done. But why would you hate it if it gets a good reaction?
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
magicswitchcards
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of magicswitchcards
Hi, I have Switcher and think it's great. It's a neat idea and works really well. I think Switcher and Switch-A-Roo are quite different. Switch-A-Roo is good for switching a few gimmick cards at once or maybe a single gimmick. Also you need to have a jacket on. Switcher, in my opinion, is really well made and gets a great reaction. I work a lot performing close-up and use it in almost every place I work.

You're right, it does look good on the video demo and it looks even better live. Matt, is it not that you just don't like gimmick cards like I don't really like silk tricks! Anyway that's just my view on Switcher and two collegues who have it agree. Well everyone has their likes and dislikes. Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Hmmm, not heard of this new one, anyone got a link to the video dem?

Paul.
magicswitchcards
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=203#

Takes a few mins to download.Also has testimonial at the bottom of page.

See what you think. I like it. It's visually clean. Smile
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1357 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>Switch-A-Roo is good for switching a few
>gimmick cards at once or maybe a single
>gimmick. Also you need to have a jacket on.

Well, just a dress shirt with a pocket is all that is truly necessary.

The Switcher is a trick in itself, although my problem with it is the gimmick is a bit thick. Switch-A-Roo is more a utility device that allows you to switch out, say, a gaffed packet of cards for ungaffed cards. Hm I wonder if it'd work with The Switcher? Now there's an idea.

Some magicians would say that if your audience is suspicious enough to want to examine some cards at the end of an effect, that you haven't done a good enough job convincing them they're regular cards to begin with. I wouldn't be this extreme ... people are curious. The one thing I thought was cool with Switch-A-Roo is having the card change while in your pocket (this one you'd probably need a jacket for) facing the audience. A bit of misdirection, they look back, and the card is different, although you haven't made any false moves!

Brian
magicswitchcards
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Hi, Yes good point you could use Switch-A-Roo in your shirt pocket (as long as it is not see through!). The Switcher gimmick being a bit thick? I don't see how it could of been any thinner. I was impressed with how thin it was. Anyway the gimmick looks like a normal card (if done as in the instructions I got here), the spectator's should not really think about the gimmick card. I think when you put the two cards back to back and you do this natural, your ok. Well I say this as no one has asked to examine the two cards, they always get hold of the ripped up cards and restored card with a big reaction. When I perform it I always switch the gimmick card whilst they are looking at the other cards, just incase they ever do ask to examine them.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
You could always use the Switch-A-Roo to switch out the Switcher.

You could also try using the Switcher to switch out itself, but then you'd be Paul Harris.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Rob
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Rob
Switcharoo is actually quite useful. The Switcher, on the other hand, looked like total junk when I saw it demonstrated at the IBM convention. Nice packaging, though.
magicswitchcards
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Switcharoo does come in handy from time to time. It seems the guy who demonstrated the Switcher at the IMB convention did not know what he was doing. Maybe they just got it, but did not have time to go through it first. I must admit when you look at switcher it looks like you can do the effects straight away. Wrong! You do need to learn the effects and handling first. It's a fantastic effect, but like anything in Magic you need to practice.
richard james
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of richard james
Hello Rob.

Could you tell me who (which stand or company) demonstrated the Switcher at the IMB Convention? Would love to know!

Thanks
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Friends, if you do packet effects with gaffed cards, and you want to be able to hand them out to be examined, if asked, then Switch-A-Roo is for you! Watch the video, and you can see it work:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/switcharoo......387.html

Doug
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Switch-A-Roo is a very clever device.

I used it for just one routine and when I changed the routine, I no longer needed it. But it did work just like in the demo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Switcher and Switch-A-Roo (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL