The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Favorite Impromptu Restaurant effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Decoy
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Decoy
Take a second to post your favorite impromptu effect that utilizes common props found on restaurant tables, or in a restaurant that are readily available to be used for a magical demonstration.

My favorite effect is the torn and restored napkin and signed coin to sugar packet. Smile

Thank ¥ou.

__________-=DecOY=-_______________
___-=Åçê=-___
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
How about a nice sponge ball effect using crumpled up napkins as a substitute?
Decoy
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Decoy
Excellent Idea dchung, one question though. When you crumple a napkin into a ball, does it still retain its sponginess? What I mean is, wouldn't a smashed napkin perform more like a billiard ball than its sponge counterpart? I'll have to try it. Great idea!

Thank you,
________________-=DecOY=-___________________
___-=Åçê=-___
Kraminator
View Profile
New user
Florida
47 Posts

Profile of Kraminator
My favorite when not prepared is the ashes through hand trick. It can be shown having a bunch of people around and it's soooo easy to do. It's old and it might be silly, but try to show it and you will see it's working! People never find out, but only show it once. Smile
Decoy
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Decoy
Kraminator,
If you like the ashes through hand trick, you should definitely try performing it with lipstick. I think it's Gregory Wilson that has a handling for it, if it really matters. Thanks for the response,
__________-=DecOY=-____________ Smile
___-=Åçê=-___
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Decoy,

I'm not saying you should crumple it up tightly. In fact, you shouldn't. That way you still get the compressibility that you get with sponge balls.

Cheers,
dchung
Decoy
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Decoy
dchung,
Thank you for clarifying.
Magically,
___________-=DecOY=-_________ Smile
___-=Åçê=-___
Liquid B
View Profile
New user
Toronto
28 Posts

Profile of Liquid B
This may sound like a silly question, but here it goes...what exactly happens in the ashes through hand effect? I'm unfamiliar with this one.
Stick Man
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of Stick Man
You can always do melted, you only need a shoe lace and a ring— how difficult are they to find? Smile
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
398 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
How about "floating dinner roll" (fork is the Zombie gimmick, and cover is a napkin), or signed, torn and restored sweetener packet (using TT)?
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Actually napkins are not bad, but those at restaurants are a little hard don't ya think? Try using tissue paper, much easier. =) I've put two balls as one in a spectator's hand before, and they felt it, which spoils it. But yeah, from there you could turn it into a joke if you're going more for the entertainment. It's really up to you.
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Liquid B,

What happens is ashes are placed on the top of a closed fist and blown away. Then they appear inside the fist.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I still like the old classic, vanishing salt shaker under the premise of vanishing a coin under the salt shaker. It still blows them away.

Also, it's easy to do a paddle routine with a butter knife (you would need a marker to make it).

Paper napkins don't work very well for a sponge ball routine. I have tried it.
However, they work quite nice for a makeshift cups and ball routine using coffee cups and the balled up napkins.

I usually have a TT on me. A torn and restored sugar or Sweet 'N Low gets a great response as does vanishing a lit cigarette in your bare hand using the same device.

Smile
Daniel Faith
mjmoretz
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of mjmoretz
I adore the swallowing of the spoon/knife gag. I recently saw a child that I hadn't seen for 3 years, and he still wanted me to swallow another spoon. I find that a floating spoon using the fork as a Zombie is much more effective (heavy floating 'n stuff). But you have to watch talking when the fork comes off.
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
I like T&R napkin, but I do a version where you "teach" them the trick, then restore the duplicate. For those that can't figure it out, it's on page 453 of Mark Wilson's encyclopedia of magic.
-toodles!
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
Liquid B
View Profile
New user
Toronto
28 Posts

Profile of Liquid B
Thanks dchung.

Liquid B
longbeach
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ont
141 Posts

Profile of longbeach
Jay Sankey does a cool version of Chop Cup on his vid "Short and Sweet" using full/empty creamers as cups and balled up creamer lids as balls. Pretty good effect.
braveneil
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of braveneil
I suggest swizzle sticks as paddles. I use two or three and that determines how I frame up the routine. I took quite a number of black color swizzle sticks (Johny Walker Black Label), scraped off the picture and stuck plastic flies on them. Voila! I have my fly circus. Added with the sound effects, the spectators really go nuts!
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
I pull a knife out of a dinner roll after asking the waiter/waitress for some extra silverware. I usually get extra food. Smile
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I like the penetration of the Salt Shaker through the table in an attempt to vanish the coin as referred to in an earlier message. I don't think that most are aware of how far you can press this technique.

For example, I once was asked to do something in a nice Italian eatery. We had wine glasses and nice cloth napkins. I was able to vanish the wine glass using the heavy napkin. Although this was NOT easy it shows that you can use things that you wouldn't at first allow. The response was dynamic and I followed up by eating my knife.

Note also I have made TTs using paper napkins and water. Mold them around your t**** like paper maché. Let dry for about 30 minutes. Great for vanishing salt, etc.

Best,
Brad Burt
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Favorite Impromptu Restaurant effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL